Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher AZ GTI mount owners thread

AstroNebulee

17 hours ago, starhov said:

Seems to have worked, is now showing f/w v 3.36.A5, it might have been that before!

Next silly question, am assuming this is right hand mounted, so could upgrade to v 3.37?

IMAG2024.jpg

Great to read that you're up and running! Fingers crossed for some clear skies! 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Your scope is mounted to the left, when looking from the rear. 😀

Other manufacturers, notably Celestron, hang their telescopes to the right of their mounts. The 3.37 firmware is useful if for instance you want to use a Celestron 5SE SCT with the Skywatcher AZGTI.

I have a C5 and have been meaning to either move the spotting scope or switch to right hand firmware. Then again, I don't use the C5 that often and never really the spotting scope anyway thanks to the AZ-GTi goto!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

So , I am now the owner of an AZ-GTi and a skymax 127 ... so, ... I'M BACK !!! And I'm happy to be back with this mount.  Not sure I will entertain EQ mode as I am not too worried about imaging , but , who knows ? The next purchase has to be a small frac to compliment the Mak . 

Stu

Oh and to upgrade to the latest firmware .

Welcome back @Stu1smartcookie  🥳 Nice to hear you're back in the AZ-GTi gang. 

Fingers crossed for clear skies! 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Many thanks , I'm chasing a skywatcher 80ed to go with the Mak.. the skies look quite good for me this week , so fingers crossed for us all .  

Good luck with your clear skies, look forward to hearing how you get on 👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Many thanks , I'm chasing a skywatcher 80ed to go with the Mak.. the skies look quite good for me this week , so fingers crossed for us all .  

It's a shame I'm based in Germany and not the UK, I have a SW 80ED languishing! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Ho guys I've just put out a "help" on the forum.  I am using a Samsung s21 ultra with android 12 . I downloaded the supposed fixed synscan app but the "user location" part of the app still doesn't work and crashes the app. The az gti when used through the app is told I can see polaris at 1 degree !!! And I can see such delights as the small and large magellenic clouds !!!! In other words it has defaulted to the southern hemisphere . Anyone else found a workaround for this ? 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Elp said:

@AstroNebulee excellent, looks other worldly.

Nothing compared to yours but it's my first attempt at LRGB on moon lit night only 20 minutes per channel, also did M33 (uploaded to my Flickr account):

1392921908_IC434-HorseheadFlameNebula-doimg-Copy.thumb.jpg.6d7fd6f2650c3307dd27b3d52125a05f.jpg

It's looking great and for a first time using mono and filters, you've got your target and nicely framed. I know nothing of using a mono camera and the filters. Maybe in processing can the red channel be lessened. Someone with more knowledge on mono imaging with filters will have a better idea. 👍

23 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Ho guys I've just put out a "help" on the forum.  I am using a Samsung s21 ultra with android 12 . I downloaded the supposed fixed synscan app but the "user location" part of the app still doesn't work and crashes the app. The az gti when used through the app is told I can see polaris at 1 degree !!! And I can see such delights as the small and 8 large magellenic clouds !!!! In other words it has defaulted to the southern hemisphere . Anyone else found a workaround for this ? 

That's seems odd to of defaulted to southern hemisphere. I wonder if the alignment needs resetting. Think you go to alignment and reset alignment. I know there used to be a issue with android over version 11 and synscan but like you say shoukd be fixed. Can you try the synscan app on another device? @Ags can hopefully offer better advice.

I've found the synscan app manual if any use. 

enmanual_20200721.pdf

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1

I've never seen that problem before. I am using a Galaxy S71 (Android 11) and automatic phone GPS and manually setting location have both always worked for me. Have you tried deleting all app data and trying again? Or reinstalling the app and not granting it permission to see location?

Edited by Ags
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Ags said:

I've never seen that problem before. I am using a Galaxy S71 (Android 11) and automatic phone GPS and manually setting location have both always worked for me. Have you tried deleting all app data and trying again? Or reinstalling the app and not granting it permission to see location?

Yes , i deleted the app, probably 15 times lol , by default the app doesnt have permission but ive always granted it ... it could be conflicting of course ... i will try that tonight . 

** UPDATE ** Just tried installing the App again , not using location services ... same problem ... ie showing southern hemisphere targets instead of northern Hemisphere .

Edited by Stu1smartcookie
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Yes , i deleted the app, probably 15 times lol , by default the app doesnt have permission but ive always granted it ... it could be conflicting of course ... i will try that tonight . 

** UPDATE ** Just tried installing the App again , not using location services ... same problem ... ie showing southern hemisphere targets instead of northern Hemisphere .

This is almost bound to be a phone set up problem, rather than an App issue.

Not allowing location access may not prevent the App from getting it! Android is remarkably lax on these things. Not giving direct access may even be worse as it forces the App to try another way!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, powerlord said:

i know it's a cop out - but I'd say, try a different device. old tablet ? it doesn't need much resources to use. an cheap as chips kindle fire works great and you have the bigger screen, etc.

stu

Good call on that ... i am at work but the administrator prevents the location services being used ... Damn  Foiled Again !! .. will try this later though 

Does the kindle operate on the latest synscan software ?

Edited by Stu1smartcookie

37 minutes ago, AstroKeith said:

This is almost bound to be a phone set up problem, rather than an App issue.

Not allowing location access may not prevent the App from getting it! Android is remarkably lax on these things. Not giving direct access may even be worse as it forces the App to try another way!

I agree ... i may even resort to resetting the device ... even when it arrived it didnt recognise both sim cards until i did an update  ( its an official device from SKY Mobile) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Ho guys I've just put out a "help" on the forum.  I am using a Samsung s21 ultra with android 12 . I downloaded the supposed fixed synscan app but the "user location" part of the app still doesn't work and crashes the app. The az gti when used through the app is told I can see polaris at 1 degree !!! And I can see such delights as the small and large magellenic clouds !!!! In other words it has defaulted to the southern hemisphere . Anyone else found a workaround for this ? 

Try turning the phone upside down 🤣🤪

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Good call on that ... i am at work but the administrator prevents the location services being used ... Damn  Foiled Again !! .. will try this later though 

Does the kindle operate on the latest synscan software ?

yup - just download from zwo direct and install. i've got it running on a 30 quid 7" fire.

hold on - ignore me - I'm talking about asiair. I don't use synscan. sorry.

stu

Edited by powerlord
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

It's looking great and for a first time using mono and filters, you've got your target and nicely framed. I know nothing of using a mono camera and the filters. Maybe in processing can the red channel be lessened. Someone with more knowledge on mono imaging with filters will have a better idea. 👍

I know, it's overprocessed. It's red because the green and blue didn't contain much data hence red swamps the image and without its brightness the details were dim. Need more data but I have another issue where the target disappears behind a roof after around 11 so I'm limited in what I can get. Might try my dslr for comparison as always interested in swapping things over.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Elp said:

I know, it's overprocessed. It's red because the green and blue didn't contain much data hence red swamps the image and without its brightness the details were dim. Need more data but I have another issue where the target disappears behind a roof after around 11 so I'm limited in what I can get. Might try my dslr for comparison as always interested in swapping things over.

Definitely more data helps. Maybe altering the colour balance to less red over the whole image may help. But as I say I know nothing of mono imaging. 

The dslr comparison sounds good, I'd be interested in the difference. Good luck in grabbing more photons on it👍

Edited by AstroNebulee

29 minutes ago, Elp said:

You're not using the play store version are you? I ask as for me that one doesn't even load and I had to install another version Pro 1.19.12.

i have used the version as listed by Widescreen Centre and also the latest version on the skywatcher site ... all to no avail ... to me its just an annoyance that will be sorted out , im sure .