Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher AZ GTI mount owners thread

AstroNebulee

3 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

Looks brilliant, yes the imperial allen key is a swine and had to order a set especially. They are so solid and much better saddles. I'm so glad I upgraded mine to adm, so safe and secure when you consider the equipment clamped to them, worth every penny. Though mine was the other version with silver knob anc puck, love the black puck to cover the gubbins, can't find the puck seperate anywhere, trying to fashion a chocolate spread lid to do the job. Every az gti owner should upgrade to one, especially if imaging. 

Yes, I was pleased I got the updated puck which makes it look a bit neater.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

Looks brilliant, yes the imperial allen key is a swine and had to order a set especially. They are so solid and much better saddles. I'm so glad I upgraded mine to adm, so safe and secure when you consider the equipment clamped to them, worth every penny. Though mine was the other version with silver knob and puck, love the black puck to cover the gubbins, can't find the puck seperate anywhere, trying to fashion a chocolate spread lid to do the job. Every az gti owner should upgrade to one, especially if imaging. 

Quick note on the imperial hex bolt - although the imperial bit /Allen key is obviously the correct answer, in a pinch you can also use a T30 Torx bit if you have one. The bolts are not fitted so tightly that you need to apply so much force, plus you're unlikely to need to repeatedly fasten/unfasten the bolts anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, badhex said:

Quick note on the imperial hex bolt - although the imperial bit /Allen key is obviously the correct answer, in a pinch you can also use a T30 Torx bit if you have one. The bolts are not fitted so tightly that you need to apply so much force, plus you're unlikely to need to repeatedly fasten/unfasten the bolts anyway. 

Thank you, that's a great tip 👍

On 13/01/2022 at 13:45, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Disabling mobile data when connecting to the mount is regarded as common practice and not seen as a fault. 

Both my phones require mobile data is switched off, including the old Samsung S6 I keep just for the mount. Some phones will connect with mobile data enabled, but then randomly drop and others will not connect at all.

Thanks @AstroNebulee and@ScouseSpaceCadet

Appreciate the tip to switch off thd mobile data. I'll admit i didn't find the info in the instructions but i didnt loom that hard.

My mount is running the 3.6.A5 f/w. I don't have the cable or wifi module, so would rely updating to the latest version via my laptop via wifi, but apprehensive as have read it can brick the mount..

• Like 1

I'd like to make clear in my head the absolutely correct procedure for preparing the mount for alignment in AZ mode.

Mount is not yet powered, levelled using the bubble and pointed towards North, I use a compass not my phone.

Scope is mounted and levelled, this is done manually, mount is then switched on and connection made with app and a method of alignment selected.

Just another thing, I'm considering converting to EQ mode and selling my Skyguider Pro mount as I really want to learn automation. I will be keeping the WO eq wedge.

My deep sky gear is light, modified Sony A5000  with a Samyang 135mm so I'm not worried about exceeding the weight limit but I'm also learning lunar and planetary imaging using my Maksutov 127 and Altair planetary camera. In AZ mode the GTi can easily handle this but I'm concerned about this setup in EQ mode from a weight viewpoint.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, starhov said:

Appreciate the tip to switch off thd mobile data. I'll admit i didn't find the info in the instructions but i didnt loom that hard.

My mount is running the 3.6.A5 f/w. I don't have the cable or wifi module, so would rely updating to the latest version via my laptop via wifi, but apprehensive as have read it can brick the mount..

Do you have a USB2 A-B cable, like the one below you get with most printers? 

Comprehensive_usb2_ab_25st_USB_2_0_A_Male_903159.jpg.ab345bf5658bfb5256d6c91261ec9b82.jpg

If so, you can get the official skywatcher dongle from FLO for £24, and use it with the USB2 cable to control or update your mount. According to skywatcher, it will also fix a bricked mount from a failed update. 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/sky-watcher-synscan-usb-adapter.html

For about £10 more you can get an FTDI cable which is essentially the whole package, and should behave the same, but I had tons of USB cables already so went for the skywatcher dongle. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LaurenceT said:

I'd like to make clear in my head the absolutely correct procedure for preparing the mount for alignment in AZ mode.

Mount is not yet powered, levelled using the bubble and pointed towards North, I use a compass not my phone.

Scope is mounted and levelled, this is done manually, mount is then switched on and connection made with app and a method of alignment selected.

Just another thing, I'm considering converting to EQ mode and selling my Skyguider Pro mount as I really want to learn automation. I will be keeping the WO eq wedge.

My deep sky gear is light, modified Sony A5000  with a Samyang 135mm so I'm not worried about exceeding the weight limit but I'm also learning lunar and planetary imaging using my Maksutov 127 and Altair planetary camera. In AZ mode the GTi can easily handle this but I'm concerned about this setup in EQ mode from a weight viewpoint.

Thanks for looking.

RE the mount AZ aligning procedure, this is essentially the same as what I do and I don't really have any issues. I always use North-level alignment, and find that the first couple of alignment targets might be a bit out but generally once aligned with those two it is almost completely accurate, and accuracy only improves over the next couple of targets. 

This might be really obvious but: as I understand it, because the mount always asks you to do a small manual adjustment and also to use the UP and RIGHT buttons to compensate for backlash, the mount should be more accurate with every target so this is expected behaviour. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, badhex said:

Do you have a USB2 A-B cable, like the one below you get with most printers? 

Comprehensive_usb2_ab_25st_USB_2_0_A_Male_903159.jpg.ab345bf5658bfb5256d6c91261ec9b82.jpg

If so, you can get the official skywatcher dongle from FLO for £24, and use it with the USB2 cable to control or update your mount. According to skywatcher, it will also fix a bricked mount from a failed update. 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/sky-watcher-synscan-usb-adapter.html

For about £10 more you can get an FTDI cable which is essentially the whole package, and should behave the same, but I had tons of USB cables already so went for the skywatcher dongle. 

Hi,

I read in another chat about the Wi-Fi dongle and official cable, but sort of vexed at having to purchase a Wi-Fi dongle for a device already Wi-Fi enabled! I toyed with building my own cable with a resistor bridge thingy to drop the USB voltage to 3.3v.

Maybe i risk updating over Wi-Fi then purchasing said ccableif it bricks...!

Edited by starhov
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, starhov said:

Hi,

I read in another chat about the Wi-Fi dongle and official cable, but sort of vexed at having to purchase a Wi-Fi dongle for a device already Wi-Fi enabled! I toyed with building my own cable with a resistor bridge thingy to drop the USB voltage to 3.3v.

Maybe i risk updating over Wi-Fi then purchasing said ccableif it bricks...!

Ah, for clarity this is not a WiFi dongle - it's just for connecting mounts that don't already support USB to a laptop or other device via a cable. Essentially the same electronics as an FTDI cable, but just in dongle format and therefore requiring an additional USB2 cable. 

For a bit more info, see one of the posts from the first page of this thread - an in depth webcast direct from Skywatcher about the AZ-GTi, really interesting and well worth watching. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, starhov said:

I have updated my mount once over WiFi and went fine. Then I did buy the ftdi cable in the end as its so much easier and I use it when running in EQ mode. My advice is to buy the ftdi cable and you know your safe. Yes it is pricey it you got security and safety with it. 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/lynx-astro-ftdi-eqdir-usb-adapter-for-sky-watcher-az-gti-mounts.html

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LaurenceT said:

Thanks for looking.

I agree with @badhex on the North level alignment and that's what I used to do in az mode. Bang on after the 2 star allignment and only gets better as you go to more targets. 

I maybe think the 127 mak would be a little heavy to run in EQ mode personally (perfect in az mode) , it would be quite shaky regarding imaging too, think a better weight option is a 102 mak. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, badhex said:

Ah, for clarity this is not a WiFi dongle - it's just for connecting mounts that don't already support USB to a laptop or other device via a cable. Essentially the same electronics as an FTDI cable, but just in dongle format and therefore requiring an additional USB2 cable. 

For a bit more info, see one of the posts from the first page of this thread - an in depth webcast direct from Skywatcher about the AZ-GTi, really interesting and well worth watching. 

Ah yes, thank you. I now recall that dongle being mentioned.

Whats the worst that happenes if i try over Wi-Fi... I have to purchase a dongle...!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, starhov said:

Ah yes, thank you. I now recall that dongle being mentioned.

Whats the worst that happenes if i try over Wi-Fi... I have to purchase a dongle...!

Exactly! Although I guess you'd be without a mount for a few days if it does go wrong. TBH I think we are probably overly cautious anyway - many people have managed to successfully update via WiFi so hopefully it will be fine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, badhex said:

Exactly! Although I guess you'd be without a mount for a few days if it does go wrong. TBH I think we are probably overly cautious anyway - many people have managed to successfully update via WiFi so hopefully it will be fine. 

Aye,

Worst case is its not usable for a few days..!

Is it best to do a step upgrade, to a lesser version first, then to the latest version?

Might give it a go this afternoon...

Thanks in advance

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, starhov said:

Aye,

Is it best to do a step upgrade, to a lesser version first, then to the latest version?

Thanks in advance

I've only ever updated my firmware over the mount wifi using a laptop without issue. The mount is over two years old and still alive. 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, starhov said:

Aye,

Thanks in advance think only the latest version is available from the skywatcher website. When updating over WiFi, make sure no other WiFi devices are in range and only your laptop is connected to the mount eg no phones it tablets connected to mount, best to switch them off WiFi whilst doing it.

Think only the latest version firmware is available via the skywatcher website. Make sure its only the laptop connecting the mount and nothing else, eg phones and tablets not having WiFi on just incase. There is a thread here somewhere with step by step instructions on updating over WiFi. Good luck 👍

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/305296-sw-az-gti-mount-firmware-update/

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

I've only ever updated my firmware over the mount wifi using a laptop without issue. The mount is over two years old and still alive. 👍

Seems to have worked, is now showing f/w v 3.36.A5, it might have been that before!

Next silly question, am assuming this is right hand mounted, so could upgrade to v 3.37?

IMAG2024.jpg

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, starhov said:

Seems to have worked, is now showing f/w v 3.36.A5, it might have been that before!

Next silly question, am assuming this is right hand mounted, so could upgrade to v 3.37?

IMAG2024.jpg

Good news the update worked well for you. Your image is still showing left hand mounting. Are you still on the alt az firmware?  Yep update to 3.37 if you wanted to go to right hand side, but your fs will be quite awkward unless you had a right angled one. 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, starhov said:

Got it, left mounted when looking from the front. Sticking at 3.36!

Thanks again @ScouseSpaceCadet and @AstroNebulee

Your scope is mounted to the left, when looking from the rear. 😀

Other manufacturers, notably Celestron, hang their telescopes to the right of their mounts. The 3.37 firmware is useful if for instance you want to use a Celestron 5SE SCT with the Skywatcher AZGTI.

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 2

So , I am now the owner of an AZ-GTi and a skymax 127 ... so, ... I'M BACK !!! And I'm happy to be back with this mount.  Not sure I will entertain EQ mode as I am not too worried about imaging , but , who knows ? The next purchase has to be a small frac to compliment the Mak . 

Stu

Oh and to upgrade to the latest firmware .

Edited by Stu1smartcookie
  • Like 5

57 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

So , I am now the owner of an AZ-GTi and a skymax 127 ... so, ... I'M BACK !!! And I'm happy to be back with this mount.  Not sure I will entertain EQ mode as I am not too worried about imaging , but , who knows ? The next purchase has to be a small frac to compliment the Mak . 

Stu

Oh and to upgrade to the latest firmware .

Congratulations, it's a beautiful set up you have there now. Good luck and clear skies 

• Like 2