Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher AZ GTI mount owners thread

AstroNebulee

24 minutes ago, starhov said:

Hi All,

Another amateur question from me!

Is there a preferred angle to store the scope at whhen not in use?

I.E. is it best to let the scope face downwards, as I have seen for esample the Celstrons do? Assume it might put less stress on the mount clutch and motor?

I read a good tip of when allowing it to cool outdoors then best to point a mac down, so that dew drips off (assume best to ovewr thre top/back too to stop dew running into the screw holes and diagonal mounting).

Thanks!

Personally, I always remove the scope from the mount, as I don't want to leave the tripod in a 'top heavy' state. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, NovaHunter said:

Nice setup :). I have a couple of scopes that I woupd like to use with this mount, namely a 127 SW Mak that comes standard, and a Takahashi 102 that will be on the wright limits for this mount from what I understand. Has anyone got any experience with over 5kg or 11 pounds and how does it track?) Going to place the order for the SW wedge then, as most say is decent enough. Hadn't given much thought as to plate solving, but will be looking at sharpcap for sure, thanks.

I have a 102mm f7 refractor and will not use it with the AZGTI. I have done, but felt as the altitude increased, the mount was straining somewhat. So thinking long term, rather than risking breaking the mount, I resolved not to use the refractor. Others will disagree my opinion is a 4" f7+ frac is too much. Likewise, an f5 Skywatcher ST120 also felt too heavy.

In the intended alt az mode, stick to refractors <= 102mm/f5, catadioptrics <= 127mm and newtonian reflectors <= 130mm f5 and the mount should be fine.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, powerlord said:

just a note to say, wedges are not the only option. I have 2 azgtis. I use one with an old SW AZ mount (the very lightweight one that is about 130 quid inc tripod), and the other with an old geared manfrotto tripod head. both work extremely well, and were each purchased 2nd hand for a fraction of the price of a wedge and are far easier to adjust precisely imho.

Thank you, I've never really thought about the use of the mount you suggested. Good tips just what this thread needs. 👍

• Like 2

4 hours ago, badhex said:

Great to see how this thread has really taken off @AstroNebulee! Some great discussions and advice from owners old and new 🙂

It is great and I was just thinking so myself when I saw the pages, views and posts building up. Hopefully it's providing a one stop place where all us owners can get together to share advice, ask for help and share images. Great to see it gaining momentum. Thank you to everyone so far who have posted here so far 👋

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, LaurenceT said:

I'm on the  verge of converting my AZ GTI to EQ mode but I want to know if it is still possible to use the mount in it's AZ alignment options such as Point and Track for quick observation and lunar and planetary imaging without having to go through the process of plate solving etc.

I've just released some funds and was considering buying a second AzGti purely in it's original AZ form with my 127 Maksutov and 130pds and use the EQ modded one for imaging. If I don't need to do this then I can use the money to upgrade my basic imaging gear.

I have considered the same to Laurence. Eventually I will buy another az gti setup with a 102 or 127 mak to use in az mode as for me I don't want to take my set up apart with all the wiring where I want it now. 

Then I can hopefully have 2 set ups my 72ed for eq astrophotography and my az mak for nice lunar and planetary imaging (when funds allow haha) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, starhov said:

Hi All,

Another amateur question from me!

Is there a preferred angle to store the scope at when not in use?

I.E. is it best to let the scope face downwards, as I have seen for example the Celstrons do? Assume it might put less stress on the mount clutch and motor?

I read a good tip of when allowing it to cool outdoors the best to point a mac down, so that dew drips off (assume best to cover the top/back too to stop dew running into the screw holes and diagonal mounting).

Thanks!

With my az gti eq set up I leave my scope on the tripod when I bring it in, keep the caps off to let air dry it, cover with a thin cotton sheet until morning then replace the dust covers and caps. But as my refractor usually dries out pretty quickly, with keeping my dew heaters on a little while longer when indoors. It's light enough and we'll balanced to leave on the tripod as all the weight should be traveling down the centre of the tripod. 

When I had my 127 mak in az mode I did take it off the mount and left caps off as they are dew magnets . If you've a counterweight attached with the Mak in az mode just level it and leave on tripod. The weight should  be distributed through the centre of the tripod. This is just my opinion though. 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, starhov said:

Fair point, for that I'd need a case.... Any recommendations?!

I used a ROC case from Cases and enclosures.  Seem to be decent value for money and they do various sizes. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AstroNebulee said:

I have considered the same to Laurence. Eventually I will buy another az gti setup with a 102 or 127 mak to use in az mode as for me I don't want to take my set up apart with all the wiring where I want it now. 

Then I can hopefully have 2 set ups my 72ed for eq astrophotography and my az mak for nice lunar and planetary imaging (when funds allow haha) 

From the replies here I got the impression that you wouldn't have to take anything apart if you wanted to use the mount in the way you want to.

If you have changed the firmware to the EQ mode option then the app gives you the option of selecting either AZ mode or EQ mode. So if you wanted to simply goto and track for observation or even lunar/planetary imaging then the alignment modes available in the standard alt az mode would be available if you select az mode in the app.

Of course it's entirely possible that I'm completely wrong 😅

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, LaurenceT said:

From the replies here I got the impression that you wouldn't have to take anything apart if you wanted to use the mount in the way you want to.

If you have changed the firmware to the EQ mode option then the app gives you the option of selecting either AZ mode or EQ mode. So if you wanted to simply goto and track for observation or even lunar/planetary imaging then the alignment modes available in the standard alt az mode would be available if you select az mode in the app.

Of course it's entirely possible that I'm completely wrong 😅

True enough I think Laurence, if it was I'd put a mak on instead of my 72ed as this really isn't good enough for lunar or planetary imaging really, just could do without the hassle of taking the 72ed off and all wires to it as I know it's set up, balanced, wired ready to go for deep sky astrophotography which is my passion and what I do mostly apart from the full disc lunar images. I'm going to save the pennies to get another az gti set up eventually with a 127 mak, don't think my sw wedge would appreciate a 127mak on it haha. Hope that makes sense. But I could be completely wrong too. And I just want another AzGti to add to the family, I think I've got a case of AzGti-itis 😁

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well after a delayed delivery (should have been last Friday) my AZ-GTI finally arrived this afternoon.

Just did a quick check to make sure it worked in AZ mode before updating the firmware over wifi to EQ mode. All went well with no problems.

Forgot i needed a dovetail to mount on my wedge so another order fired off to FLO.

Next job to check my cheap (Amazon) EQMOD cable works to connect to ASI PRO.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, RayWUK said:

Well after a delayed delivery (should have been last Friday) my AZ-GTI finally arrived this afternoon.

Just did a quick check to make sure it worked in AZ mode before updating the firmware over wifi to EQ mode. All went well with no problems.

Forgot i needed a dovetail to mount on my wedge so another order fired off to FLO.

Next job to check my cheap (Amazon) EQMOD cable works to connect to ASI PRO.

Brilliant Ray, I hope the az gti performs well for you. Let us know how you get on here with it, be very interested to hear 👍

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

I have a 102mm f7 refractor and will not use it with the AZGTI. I have done, but felt as the altitude increased, the mount was straining somewhat. So thinking long term, rather than risking breaking the mount, I resolved not to use the refractor. Others will disagree my opinion is a 4" f7+ frac is too much. Likewise, an f5 Skywatcher ST120 also felt too heavy.

In the intended alt az mode, stick to refractors <= 102mm/f5, catadioptrics <= 127mm and newtonian reflectors <= 130mm f5 and the mount should be fine.

Would certainly agree with you here. I have a Skywatcher 80ED and once you add diagonal, EP etc. It gets up to nearly 5kg and although I tested it a couple of times, I never really felt comfortable using it with the AZ-GTi and tripod. I definitely wouldn't want to use the 102ED on there. 

The primary use case for my AZ-GTi is either a WO ZS73 or a C5, both of which work very well in AZ mode and are under the weight limit by at least a kilo. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, badhex said:

Would certainly agree with you here. I have a Skywatcher 80ED and once you add diagonal, EP etc. It gets up to nearly 5kg and although I tested it a couple of times, I never really felt comfortable using it with the AZ-GTi and tripod.

.. although, Joe  , i have got a bracket that allows the scope to sit directly above the mount and is perfectly counterweighted .... i will post photos on here later , maybe even a little video of it working . The accuracy is surprisingly good as the weight is completely balanced. I certainly aggree that the tripod isnt the best for such weight though. 

Only time  will tell if my set up fouls up the gears , motors, but , at present its ok . Only for visual in Alt Az mode of course 

• Like 3

Tried out the cheap EQMOD cable this afternoon, i was a bit apprehensive about this as i'd heard a few problems with these. At the time of ordering the more expensive Lynx Astro cable was OOS.

First few attempts to connect to my ASI Air Pro failed as I tried to connect with what i thought was the obvious 'Skywatcher AZ wedge or Skywatcher AZ Synscan' options from the drop down list.

After a bit of head scratching i recall seeing a EQMOD option further up the menu, upon trying this the mount connected straight away, Doh.

The mount controls now appear in the ASI AIR screens and I'm able to move the mount around with these. Another step up the learning curve.

Not sure what else i can do now until i get some clear sky, perform a PA and checkout the GOTO functions.

Question. Guiding with my Star Adventurer was done via a ST4 cable between the guide camera (ZWO ASI Mini) and the mount. I'm presuming that guiding will now be done via the EQMOD cable between the ASI Air pro and the mount ?

Ray.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RayWUK said:

Question. Guiding with my Star Adventurer was done via a ST4 cable between the guide camera (ZWO ASI Mini) and the mount. I'm presuming that guiding will now be done via the EQMOD cable between the ASI Air pro and the mount ?

Ray.

Yes, the eqmod/USB cable is going to be used for all goto commands and will happily do the guiding adjustments as well. ST4 is less often used nowadays as it only tends to be used for the guiding commands.  One less cable is always a bonus.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RayWUK said:

Tried out the cheap EQMOD cable this afternoon, i was a bit apprehensive about this as i'd heard a few problems with these. At the time of ordering the more expensive Lynx Astro cable was OOS.

First few attempts to connect to my ASI Air Pro failed as I tried to connect with what i thought was the obvious 'Skywatcher AZ wedge or Skywatcher AZ Synscan' options from the drop down list.

After a bit of head scratching i recall seeing a EQMOD option further up the menu, upon trying this the mount connected straight away, Doh.

The mount controls now appear in the ASI AIR screens and I'm able to move the mount around with these. Another step up the learning curve.

Not sure what else i can do now until i get some clear sky, perform a PA and checkout the GOTO functions.

Ray.

As @StevieDvdsays all done via the eq mod cable now.

I have an asiair pro with my set up and really simplifies astrophotography I found, you can be all running, PA focus and plate solved onto your target and guiding in around 15 mins in my experience, but I am a baffoon. Good luck with your set up, keep us up to date 👍

Edited by AstroNebulee

On 18/01/2022 at 00:43, PadrePeace said:

I agree with AdamJ, although I could not work out what his point was in that last sentence. Maybe an edit required. 🤷
My extensive experience with the SW wedge is that if I set the baseline RA and Dec wedge adjustment tensions correctly, for that read firm! then I can nail < 0.20a/s PA in both axis every time using Sharpcap PA. Given the focal lengths this mount can reasonably handle that is way better than you need to guide within pixel scale limits. The SW wedge is more than up for the job if you treat it right. 

My polar align with the AZGTI tonight using the Skywatcher Wedge. No need for a WO upgrade here. 

CF38363D-8FEE-4297-A9E9-5E9F3F158ED7.jpeg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Just a little view of my setup… and I was only out for about an hour tonight as it was actually quite cloudy but the scope performed admirably and so did the mount.

7D7BF57A-025D-43EC-B164-0CA690D7A3E1.jpeg

Beautiful set up Stu, pleased to hear the mount work perfectly 👌

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1

Has anyone experienced controlling EQ mode via asiair and goto function being completely wrong? Frustrating last night as took previews, plate solved, synced to mount and then goto goes near the target, then slightly away, then slightly away again, then away a lot on its way to pointing toward the ground. Kept happening over and over no matter the target even if I manually slewed near to the target before plate solving. Hasn't happened like this before, it's usually quite good. Thoughts?

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Elp said:

Has anyone experienced controlling EQ mode via asiair and goto function being completely wrong? Frustrating last night as took previews, plate solved, synced to mount and then goto goes near the target, then slightly away, then slightly away again, then away a lot on its way to pointing toward the ground. Kept happening over and over no matter the target even if I manually slewed near to the target before plate solving. Hasn't happened like this before, it's usually quite good. Thoughts?

I control my az gti with an asiair pro and never had this issue before.

1.How are you powering the mount? Is it through the asiair or separate power supply, I run a mains socket to my asiair pro and power my mount and 294mc pro via the asiair pro.

2. Did your PA go well with it and completed. 

3.Another thought which cable are you using to connect your asiair pro to your mount? 

4. Is your firmware of the asiair pro compatible with the asiair app you are using. As I found that an old app version may have compatibilty issues with a updated firmware asiair pro version. As when I updated the firmware via an app update on my phone to control AAP an older version on my tablet came up with 'this app version may not be compatible with your app' 

Edited by AstroNebulee

1 hour ago, Elp said:

if platesolve is working but the following goto isn't obliging then you may have an issue with the 'sync' commands not being registered - something I've seen in EQASCOM and had to clear the pointing model - however I have no idea whether this is of any relevance with an ASIAIR...

• Like 1