Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from North Carolina

McQ

I've always been filled with wonder when looking at the night sky and had a crappy telescope as a kid but on a whim bought a baby dob a couple of years ago and then recently bought a used Orion XT6 from a neighbor and find myself spending more time looking up. Looking forward to learning and sharing experiences.

p.s. I also enjoy looking at little things through microscopes.

-Rick

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Astro_Dad said:

Welcome on board! You’ll be aware there is a microscope forum on here too. 👍 Are you a crystals and materials fan or more biological? 

I studied biology, but never worked in the field. My observing these days is with my family, to share the wonder and complexity of life. But we look at minerals and anything. I have a stereo dissection microscope, it was easier for the kids when they were little to grab stuff without preparing slides. I also have a cheap digital microscope, which is a lot of fun and can be used anywhere with a cell phone to take photos and video that would be difficult with a lens based scope.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, McQ said:

I studied biology, but never worked in the field. My observing these days is with my family, to share the wonder and complexity of life. But we look at minerals and anything. I have a stereo dissection microscope, it was easier for the kids when they were little to grab stuff without preparing slides. I also have a cheap digital microscope, which is a lot of fun and can be used anywhere with a cell phone to take photos and video that would be difficult with a lens based scope.

Excellent- I had a microscope as a kid and ended up studying biology and biochemistry so lots of microscopy at uni-  but I‘m tempted to get back to that at some stage to show the kids - as you describe - the wonders and complexity of life. You can’t beat that ! Quite tempted by a digital microscope. Astrobiology is a fascinating intersection of the disciplines - welcome again to SGL!

Edited by Astro_Dad
Typo
  • Like 1

On 29/10/2021 at 20:44, McQ said:

I was really into microscopy some years back and was quite serious about it. I had several laboratory grade microscopes all fitted with cameras for imaging. I used to concentrate mainly on the biological side of things. I cultivated all sorts of bacteria to study, both live viewing and stained and mounted. Also did dark field microscopy and phase contrast etc. I guess I just love looking and observing, hence I’ve jumped back into astronomy with both feet. Again welcome to SGL 

• Like 2

Welcome McQ.  I have a 6" telescope, and a microscope...

scopes.jpg.8e12d91eb532505f585fa911cd45d430.jpg

Incidentally, if I combine the two, I get a Maksutov-Cassegrain telescope, which is like a microscope, but for the night sky...

Maksutov5e.jpg.0be30c0e7e99879a973d0935a8d75e42.jpg

If you ever need any help with whatever pertains to telescopes, we'll be here, and gladly.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...