Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Scopes ageing well

I currently have 5 scopes that are my mainstays for observing. Four of them are over 15 years old now and one was made about 6 years ago.

They are frequently used and all get regular turns under the stars as the UK skies allow.

The older scopes have a few light marks on their tubes here and there from normal use. Optically they are all very clean (of course !). I'm probably the 3rd or 4th owner of those. The 6 year old scope I have owned from new and that is still in practically "as new" condition.

The 12 inch dobsonian had new coatings applied to it's mirrors 11 years ago. They still look to be in good condition and the scope continues to perform very well.

While decent telescopes are not inexpensive purchases, it is re-assuring to know that, if they suit you and you take a reasonable amount of care of them, they will last and perform well over many years of observing (or imaging, if that is your thing) :icon_biggrin:

Edit: Minor point but I've just realised that I'm only actually the 2nd owner of my 130mm refractor during the 15 years of it's life. It's previous owner bought it new.

Edited by John
  • Like 4

Indeed so.  I've had my original ST80 from new since Christmas 2010, and my blue ST102 and 127 Mak were bought used in 2011 but are almost certainly older still, as is my "gold" ED80 which I've not owned quite as long.  All still get used and in fact the Mak has even come with us to France on a number of occasions.

Come to think of it, much of my kit is probably at least ten years old now.  The newer bits are more likely to be the likes of cameras and filters.

James

• Like 1

It's a similar story for me, John.

All of my 4 scopes are 12 years old or more, in order as follows:

Carton 60mm F12 achromat - c34 years - I'm at least the 3rd owner, probably more

Vixen 102M 4" achromat - c30 years I'm at least the 3rd owner, probably more

Tak FS128 F8.1 apo - 22 years, I'm the 2nd owner

Long Perng 80mm F6 achromat - 12 years, I'm the 2nd owner

The Tak is in mint condition. I'd describe all the others as being in very good used condition.

The great thing with refractors is that they are relatively low maintenance, and with care for the optics they can last almost indefinitely 🙂👍

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
  • Like 1

My Tak FS102 is 20 years old and still in good condition. One or two minor chipsonthe tube but you have to look close. Optics as bright as new. Just as well fluorite, glass and metal don’t deteriorate if well looked after 🤣

Edited by JeremyS
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Yes I agree John, telescopes can serve you well for a long time if looked after. My C8 is now 22 years old (bought from new) and still used regularly. I’m pleased to say the mirror is still pristine, the corrector plate unmarked and the tube free of dents and nicks (famous last words). The rest of my scopes have been bought within the last 10 years. The Tal has had at least two owners before me and is a little battle scarred but performs well, however I have not used it or the Heritage 130P since getting the 102ED-R last year, so should probably think of moving them to new homes. My 150PL was a bit of a impulse buy (£90 virtually new!) and now rarely used, but if I only had one scope this could be it as it does everything well, except perhaps wide field. I think I am a little sentimental about it too, as my first ever scope as a teenager was a 6” F8 newt, and using it brings back the tingle of excitement of those first views. 🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

My Tak FS102 is 20 years old and still in good condition. One or two minor chipsonthe tube but you have to look close. Optics as bright as new. Just as well fluorite, glass and metal don’t deteriorate if well looked after 🤣

You won't be laughing when that clamshell fails and your beautiful scope crashes to the ground, delicate fluorite element first!

These things need to be protected and if you can still see the tube, you haven't got enough tube rings!

• Haha 8
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

I take it that FS stands for fail safe? would be fitting.

When I bought my 102 from a seller I was curious to know when it was made. When I called Tak America they informed me that based on the serial number it was made in 2011. This is still young I guess, still many moons of fun lay ahead especially considering how I take care of it, I carry it like a newborn 🤣.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 2

I have the Tal 100rs I could not tell you how old it is and I bought it off Jules  aka nightfisher   Optics in perfect condition

I have the celestron c-102 I got off a very good friend I know these are quite old optics still in perfect condition

My Meade 127mm I bought from ENS optical so I have no history at all now the glass is in the right way and been cleaned its optics are brilliant.

What do people clean their optics with and how often, I use Pure eco glasses cleaner and a glasses cloth

• Like 3

My oldest scope is a 128mm refractor - it’s 23 years old and performs great BUT it’s optics are made of Flourite  🙂 and I do worry about them dissolving when dew gets on them, also I live in fear or it falling off the mount as it only has 2 tube rings 😱😱

My other 3 scopes are all young uns 🧑🏻‍🍼

Edited by dweller25
  • Haha 5

34 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

My oldest scope is a 128mm refractor - it’s 23 years old and performs great BUT it’s optics are made of Flourite  🙂 and I do worry about them dissolving when dew gets on them, also I live in fear or it falling off the mount as it only had 2 tube rings 😱😱

My other 3 scopes are all young uns 🧑🏻‍🍼

Indeed, I never knew there was so much to worry about owing a fluorite refractor 🤪

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My 1995 Intes MN56 Maksutov-Newtonian is bombing along nicely. Built like a tank, amazing mirror quality and cell, and a blistered paint finish the same as the Tak green, but in an uninspiring beige. Even the dew shield is metal, screw on and kinfe-edge baffled. One scope I will never part with.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dweller25 said:

I do worry about them dissolving when dew gets on them, also I live in fear or it falling off the mount as it only has 2 tube rings

:icon_bounce::icon_bounce: Ok OK, I'm thinking of a flourite lens but but- what about the dew?! the dew! will it melt the lens? what about temperature change?!! will the lens crack? what about storing the scope!?!😲 what exact angle does it need to be?! :hiding:

:grin:

• Haha 5

The vulnerability of fluorite lenses is rather overstated. I found this quote about the material:

"CaF2 is used as an optical component because of its chemical stability under adverse conditions. Exposure to 100% relative humidity at room temperature does not fog polished surfaces even after 1 month. In normal working conditions, polished surfaces will not degrade. For temperatures exceeding 600 °C, calcium fluoride surfaces will degrade in the presence of moisture. In dry environments, calcium fluoride can be used up to 1000 °C, and it does not begin to soften at 800 °C. Calcium fluoride is inert to organic chemicals and many acids, including HF. It will slowly dissolve in nitric acid."

I know some of you will be tempted to use your scope inside a furnace or wash it in nitric acid but don't do it!

Another article on the stuff talked about uncoated fluorite lenses lasting years with normal exposure to environmental conditions such as moisture and temperature changes and it's worth remembering that modern lenses are coated anyway with much harder and moisture-resistant materials (might be silica or other oxides of zirconium, titanium, etc) that protect the fluorite underneath.

• Like 1

I can see myself owning 20 year old scopes in… 20 years’ time 🙃 Current scope only a year old but tend to buy to keep.

How old do you estimate your 12” dob to be @John? Presume you’re the second owner if you had the mirror recoated? I’d like an Orion 12” and quality 102 refractor, eventually. Always great to have aspirations   😀

• Like 2

11 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

My Fullerscope is early 80s so knocking on 40 years now. Plastic drain pipe tubing doesn't take much looking after 😄

So, your scope has literally "gone down the tube" then Craig?:rolleyes2::hiding:😊

Dave

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Stardaze said:

How old do you estimate your 12” dob to be @John? Presume you’re the second owner if you had the mirror recoated? I’d like an Orion 12” and quality 102 refractor, eventually. Always great to have aspirations   😀

The optical tube / mirrors date from 2005. I have the original optical tests / paperwork for it. It had 2 owners before me. On the side of the primary mirror is a further Orion optics sticker showing that it was re-aluminised in 2010 and Hi-Lux over coated. Back in 2005 I'm not sure that hi-lux coatings were applied as standard.

The dobsonian mount was made for me by a member of SGL called Shane who is a bit of a wizard at woodcraft :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stardaze said:

I’d like an Orion 12” and quality 102 refractor, eventually. Always great to have aspirations   😀

Funnily enough, that’s what I was imagining I would end up with one day. Got the 102, just need to replace all my other scopes with a nice 10” or 12” dob. 🤗

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Funnily enough, that’s what I was imagining I would end up with one day. Got the 102, just need to replace all my other scopes with a nice 10” or 12” dob. 🤗

For quite a while the 4 inch refractor plus a dobsonian was my scope inventory as well.

Then the refractors started to breed ....... :rolleyes2:

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, John said:

For quite a while the 4 inch refractor plus a dobsonian was my scope inventory as well.

Then the refractors started to breed ....... :rolleyes2:

Funny how that happens. 
It’s the same here: reflectors, Maks and SCTs never breed. It’s just the fracs. 🔭

• Like 1
  • Haha 3