Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello everyone.

BobInYorkshire

Hi,

I’m Bob and I live in North Yorkshire.

I’ve literally just put my toe in the water with astrology (is that the correct term?). I bought a Skywatcher Adventurer 2i Pro on Thursday and I’m hoping to get some tips here. I’ve watched loads of experts on YouTube and now I’m itching to have a go myself but Sod’s law has intervened and we have a lot of cloud cover forecast for the next week or so!

I’m a keen amateur photographer and have some top of the range Nikon cameras and lenses but have never attempted photographing anything in the sky so welcome any advice.

• Like 1

Hi Bob, welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have some nice kit, will work well on your star adventurer if you can get out to dark skies. 

Just FYI astrology is most definitely NOT the right term....that's what Mystic Meg does! 🤣 We do astronomy (or we try to at least)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

Hi Bob, welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have some nice kit, will work well on your star adventurer if you can get out to dark skies. 

Just FYI astrology is most definitely NOT the right term....that's what Mystic Meg does! 🤣 We do astronomy (or we try to at least)

Thanks Craig and thanks for giving me the right term although I could do with Mystic Meg giving me tonight’s lottery numbers.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Ay-up! I heard someone used the "A" word on 'ere!? 😉

Welcome Bob. 😁

I'm surprised the 'bad words'  filter doesn't  remove that one as offensive to decent sensibilities  ! 🙂

Anyway,  welcome Bob, just watch your language, OK ? :evil4:

Heather

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, BobInYorkshire said:

Hi, I’m a keen amateur photographer and have some top of the range Nikon cameras and lenses but have never attempted photographing anything in the sky so welcome any advice.

Well, not being a photographer, my experience is that those who have The Eye do well and others are on a learning curve. As a photographer first, you bring to this much of the learning that is otherwise hard-won (and sometimes hardly won). I managed some snapshots, but that's it. As a writer, I have worked as a reporter and had seminars in photography for news. Other than that, it's not what I do. But I know how it is done and, again, I know that those who have experience and talent are rare and highly regarded. So, welcome. We look forward to the fruits of your new hobby.

Best Regards,

Mike M.

Edited by mikemarotta
fix typos
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, mikemarotta said:

Well, not being a photographer, my experience is that those who have The Eye do well and others are on a learning curve. As a photographer first, you bring to this much of the learning that is otherwise hard-won (and sometimes hardly won). I managed some snapshots, but that's it. As a writer, I have worked as a reporter and had seminars in photography for news. Other than that, it's not what I do. But I know how it is done and, again, I know that those who have experience and talent are rare and highly regarded. So, welcome. We look forward to the fruits of your new hobby.

Best Regards,

Mike M.

Thanks Mike, 

I hope I can get some decent results to show when the sky clears but we’ll have to wait and see, fingers crossed.

• 3 weeks later...