NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi All, Heater here, new to the Stargazeing world......

heater

Welcome aboard SGL Heater, and welcome to astronomy. Good to have you with us.

Hope your telescope won't be long, but do be aware of the astronomers curse. Whenever you take delivery of any piece of astronomy kit, it's almost certain to be cloudy for a while afterwards. 🙂

Welcome to SHL @heater

Enjoy the scope when it arrives, ask questions and get friendly help from us lot

No such thing as a silly question, when you don’t know, you don’t know. We all had to start from the same place at some point

Astronomy is a never ending learning opportunity for most of us

14 hours ago, heater said:

Looking forward to this just waiting on the  Celestron NexStar 130 SLT too arrive!

Welcome to the forum. When your telescope arrives, let us know and especially when you actually get to go outside with it. 😄 (See below.) If you received the standard package, then you have the two eyepieces, 25mm and 9 mm. Allow me to recommend that you consider adding the Celestron Lens and Filter Kit. I bought mine when I saw other people at star parties with much larger or more expensive telescopes and with the same kit. Celestron is not the only label. The same kit comes from other brand-name retailers.  Also, ask questions here. I say that because some people tend to settle in to a few eyepieces and not use others. It is a personal preference. You may find that a larger eyepiece 32mm or even 40 mm plus a Barlow lens will deliver much of what you want from your first telescope.  But, first of all, get to know the instrument you have.  

13 hours ago, Starwatcher2001 said:

Welcome aboard SGL Heater, and welcome to astronomy. Good to have you with us.

Hope your telescope won't be long, but do be aware of the astronomers curse. Whenever you take delivery of any piece of astronomy kit, it's almost certain to be cloudy for a while afterwards. 🙂

No kidding! I bought myself an ED APO in April... Still waiting for two clear nights in a row... and then I went ahead and bought an 8-inch Newtonian. It's raining now and I don't expect it to quit until January. (The Newt is still in the crate in the garage, no sense in listing it in the signature.) Meanwhile, I do have two erstwhile instruments that I can run outside with in the few moments when the sky is clear. One night last week, I got in four hours between 10:00 PM and 2:00 AM.

Edited by mikemarotta
  • Like 1

All, Thanks for the warm welcome, Scope has arrived and it's raining.... :(

On A side note was looking at the mirror alignment as the primary  lock screws were loose  checked the alignment and it was way off , Not a real problem but I had a question on the primary, so had a quick chat with Celestron and they sent me a link which explains the offset for the secondary in detail.... (I always thought they had to be perfectly aligned ) but this will depend on the type of scope...  Anyway last night was clear for about 2 hours,  so far I am liking it :)

https://www.lcas-astronomy.org/articles/display.php?filename=newtonian_secondary_offset&category=telescopes

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...