NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from well lit London

Mr Blue Sky

Hi all, just saying hi. I'm a born again amateur and I've just bought a starter scope. Meade Adventurer 80. I read loads of reviews of other scopes and plumped for that one knowing I could use it as a base, having read that it is a great tube but dodgy accessories. I had a limited budget that wasn't going to improve and I wanted to get started.

I am enjoying myself immensely but am already looking for a Barlow.  I've seen Jupiter and it's moons already!

I had a scope when I was a teenager and saw Saturn and was hooked and destined to return one day. I think that was a decent little scope, it cost £18 in 1975!

I do intend heading out to Kent or elsewhere it's a little less light.

Edited by Mr Blue Sky
  • Like 1

Hi,

And welcome. I’m in a similar position having returned after many years. In the mid-1970’s my parents bought me a Prinz Astral but it was so long ago I’d long forgotten how much I enjoyed looking through a telescope. Eventually my mother sadly gave it away to a charity shop :(

But I well remember seeing Jupiter and it’s moons, plus the rings of Saturn. Although I could not see any more details on the planets. Probably just needed a filter but helpful forums like this didn’t exist in those days. Sky at Night and Patrick Moore was the limit. 

Hi and welcome to SGL.  One of our first telescopes was a Meade 90mm and I recall getting much enjoyment out of it, it also had decent accessories - a set of five MA eyepieces in a decent custom made case, which we still have somewhere!  Good luck and clear skies!

Thank again everyone. Got into it again last night and, like the night before, there was this elongated blob just above Jupiter. Couldn't make out what it was! I think it was the Milky Way after some research. Looked like a distant galaxy.

Loving this

Welcome to SGL from Sardinia. You have chosen a nice little instrument to start with, I also have an achromatic 80/400 bought used a year ago which I really like. Usually the eyepieces they give as accessories for a telescope are not exceptional, for now use the ones you have then you can see what to buy better, a good eyepiece always lasts! I heard that London is a beautiful city that offers you everything, then in this period you are cool (we in southern Europe dream of the coolness you have in the summer, when it is 35º - 40º here we gasp).

On 19/07/2021 at 08:38, Mr Blue Sky said:

... Meade Adventurer 80. I read loads of reviews of other scopes and plumped for that one knowing I could use it as a base ... a limited budget that wasn't going to improve and I wanted to get started. ...  I've seen Jupiter and it's moons already!  ... I do intend heading out to Kent or elsewhere it's a little less light.

Congratulations, Blue Sky. The best telescope is the one that gets used. You seem to be off to a good start. I understand about the city lights. But unless you are under the lights of that big Ferris wheel or something, you can probably find a lot to look for even in London. In the classic handbook, Turn Left at Orion, the author had his Ph.D. from Harvard and had taught at MIT before a friend showed him the stunning double stars of Albireo from within the New York City metro area, Fort Lee, New Jersey.  You might try for it.

Best Regards,

Mike M.

On 20/07/2021 at 10:06, Mr Blue Sky said:

Thank again everyone. Got into it again last night and, like the night before, there was this elongated blob just above Jupiter. Couldn't make out what it was! I think it was the Milky Way after some research. Looked like a distant galaxy.

Perhaps a galaxy not so far, far away...

1399037152_cfaharvardskymidjuly.jpg.d27c6ddbb9ec81eb2a59b1a114e134e8.jpg

You might have resolved a brighter patch of the Milky Way. It surely did not look like this, but the picture is an indication. 

Allow me to recommend that you seek out a handbook or two and a website or three.  There's a zillion guide books, but the one that works for you is the one you need. Myself, I often browse the used bookstores and your public library is an option. You can try before you buy. As for websites, there's a lot those, too, and we all have our favorites. I like Sky & Telescope magazine's offering: https://skyandtelescope.org/interactive-sky-chart/

They have a separate one for the Moons of Jupiter https://skyandtelescope.org/wp-content/plugins/observing-tools/jupiter_moons/jupiter.html and the moons of Saturn https://skyandtelescope.org/wp-content/plugins/observing-tools/saturn_moons/saturn.html 

The snapshot is from the Center for Astrophysics at Harvard University, co-sponsored by NASA. Nominally chartered to serve professionals, they also deliver a lot to amateurs, like "The Sky Tonight." https://www.cfa.harvard.edu/current-night-sky

Best Regards,

Mike M.

Edited by mikemarotta
added

• 1 month later...