NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Spectacle of a Moon Rocket Launch.

Watch "Ultimate Saturn V Launch with Enhanced Sound" on YouTube

Just posted this video. It is a reminder of what our generation experienced during the Apollo missions. Also what this generation may well see with SLS and the planned Moon missions and beyond. Turn your speaker volumne right up.

A proper rocket, like wot boys (and girls?) dreamed of! Non of this modern light weight re-usable stuff :)

I've watched this video a few times. The thing is, I don't think any speakers could reproduce the sound pressure, not indoors anyway. 

• Like 1

I've seen this loads of times. Years ago I borrowed a projector and massive speakers to play it in a very small auditorium as an introduction to a talk I was giving. Even filled the room with a disco smoke generator. The room literally shook. It still makes my spine tangle even on a phone.

• Like 1

Superb piece of Engineering built in the day when computers were in their early days ,one fact always sticks in my mind that the computing power of this leviathan was similar to a electronic calculator.Still makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck (what's left of it!) Thanks for posting.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Paul M said:

A proper rocket, like wot boys (and girls?) dreamed of! Non of this modern light weight re-usable stuff :)

I've watched this video a few times. The thing is, I don't think any speakers could reproduce the sound pressure, not indoors anyway. 

At air shows I have seen the RAF Typhoon turn on a sixpence with full after burners active. It is the only aircraft where I covered my ears to protect from the thunderous noise. Just hoping that several thing coincide in the near future.

They are;

1. That I maintain my active health to travel. I don't like long flights.

2. We get ontop of the pandemic so that we can safely travel.

3. NASA really do get SLS running regular missions.

I can then fulfil my dream of seeing as you say 'A proper rocket launch'

Edited by Guest
Typo as usual lol

2 hours ago, Grumpy Martian said:

At air shows I have seen the RAF Typhoon turn on a sixpence with full after burners active. It is the only aircraft where I covered my ears to protect from the thunderous noise.

I've seen a couple of typhoon displays and know what you mean but in terms of noise that you can feel I remember watching a Vulcan display at RAF Finningley back in the early 90's. The sound of those 4 engines on take off was like a deep crackle that hit you at gut level. Then comes the famous Vulcan howl.  So sad its not flying now.

Edited by Alfian
  • Like 3

I was very young but living in the States at the time of Apollo. And my first memory is watching live the first moon landing. Extremely exciting times! Someone I know who was lucky enough to see a Saturn V launch I can remember saying something like “it felt like his bones were vibrating under his flesh”. And I think that was from about 3 miles away.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Alfian said:

I remember watching a Vulcan display

I think it was at my first ever airshow, probably the long defunct Barton Airshow, that I saw my Vulcan display. I still remain WOWed by that display.

The commentator described the howl as like that of a banshee. Hope I never meet a banshee then!! 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Alfian said:

I've seen a couple of typhoon displays and know what you mean but in terms of noise that you can feel I remember watching a Vulcan display at RAF Finningley back in the early 90's. The sound of those 4 engines on take off was like a deep crackle that hit you at gut level. Then comes the famous Vulcan howl.  So sad its not flying now.

They do make a pretty sound, but it really isn't any louder than Concorde taking off. The loudest single aircraft I've heard was an F/A 18 going straight into a vertical climb on afterburner, mmmm that was noisy.

But for sound that you can feel...top fuel drag race beats everything. But, you are much closer to the action than when watching aircraft. 

It's still a dream of mine to watch a rocket launch, Mrs.C is from Kazakhstan, so Baikonur is probably my best chance.

Edited by Roy Challen
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Alfian said:

The Vulcan was great. You would enter by a hatch underneath. Just like The Millenium Falcon in Star Wars. Lol.

Just now, Grumpy Martian said:

The Vulcan was great.

I grew up close to RAF Gaydon which was a V bomber base. At the annual airshow there would be a V Bomber Scramble when four Vulcans or four Viktors would do a mock scramble take-off. That was a seriously impressive sight and sound. Once airborne four Valiants would be hot on their tail. It was around 1960 so at the height of the Cold War. I used to go armed with my Observer Book of Aircraft, which sadly I don't think I have anymore :( 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grumpy Martian said:

The Vulcan was great. You would enter by a hatch underneath. Just like The Millenium Falcon in Star Wars. Lol.

Went to PIK to catch the last flight of XH588.

First time I saw one (XM609) was also at PWK in 1972, around 1973/4. I was in the ATC at the time and we got to stick our heads in for a look see.

Pilot & co-pilot had ejector seats, the rest of the crew had to leave via the belly hatch - wouldn’t like to try that at near supersonic speeds.

The V-bombers were originally high altitude bombers, but late were used for low level - still don’t fancy the idea of jumping out the bottom :)

Edited by iapa
Correct year to 1972, added a/c identifier

I lived in Burnt Oak in North London in the late 1960's. This was near RAF Hendon aerodrome. The areodrome closed in the Summer of 1968. I remember a fly past of six Vulcan bombers in arrowhead formation at a very low altitude. Well the sky darkened and accompanied with a loud roar. Never to be forgotten

Edited by Guest
spelling

18 minutes ago, Grumpy Martian said:

I lived in Burnt Oak in North London in the late 1960's. This was near RAF Hendon velodrome. The areodrome closed in the Summer of 1968. I remember a fly past of six Vulcan bombers in arrowhead formation at a very low altitude. Well the sky darkened and accompanied with a loud roar. Never to be forgotten

Our youngest lives just down the road from the RAF Museum now.

I did see a flit past of three V-bombers at one time, 2 Vulcans and the Victor repurposed as midair refueler.

Never tire of all things apollo. Although I remember the era as it happened I was a little too young to appreciate it. Nothing around at the time to see it in that kind of glory if you weren't lucky enough to see it in the flesh. It's probably why I hope I live to see another manned lunar mission in my lifetime. At this point in history the ability to witness it as it occurs should be breathtaking. 

12 minutes ago, skyhog said:

Never tire of all things apollo. Although I remember the era as it happened I was a little too young to appreciate it. Nothing around at the time to see it in that kind of glory if you weren't lucky enough to see it in the flesh. It's probably why I hope I live to see another manned lunar mission in my lifetime. At this point in history the ability to witness it as it occurs should be breathtaking. 

Not old enough to remember ALL the Apollo program, just from Apollo 8 onwards.

was about 9yo, but already reading about robots and spacemen :)

Edited by iapa

18 hours ago, Roy Challen said:

It's still a dream of mine to watch a rocket launch, Mrs.C is from Kazakhstan, so Baikonur is probably my best chance.

To see a launch at Baikonur, now that would be really something, a journey of a lifetime.  That would be one very impressive Steppe ......😉

• Haha 2

I've seen the Saturn V at the Cape, once in 1988 when it was still outside and suffering in the Florida climate and again in 2005 when thanks to everyone's donations it was resplendent in it's own hanger.

Jeff Bezos spent some of his pocket money finding and recovering some of the stage one engines from the bottom of the Atlantic, I believe they found one of the Apollo 11 engines after checking the serial numbers, I think some of them are on display at the Museum of Flight in Seattle.

22 hours ago, Roy Challen said:

I totally mis-read that as, "It's still a dream of mine to watch a launch of Mrs.C from Kazakhstan...".

Maybe it was just me projecting.😁

Cool vid Grumpy M.!

• Haha 1

One of my favourite Apollo videos on YouTube is the launch of Apollo 4 - Walter Cronkite's commentary just highlights the sheer awe of what a Saturn V launch must have felt like. 

Edited by Peter_D
  • Thanks 1

Seeing one of the last ever Shuttle launches back in 2010 was incredible, the sound, while obviously nothing like a Saturn V was something that will live with me forever, crackling roaring all mixed together. 

Was fortunate enough to visit Florida again a couple of years back and see the shuttle we saw launch (Atlantis) now in its own amazing visitor center at KSC. I spent well over am hour just walking around it soaking it all up. 

Also, when I was 10 years old back in 1981 I went to an airshow at the then RAF Finningley. Something on the flying program caught my attention immediately with the title "Vulcan scramble". Turned out it was 5x Vulcans taking off forming up and displaying. Utterly amazing sound and spectacle. Still give me goosebumps 40 years later. 

Edited by Bobby1970
  • Like 1