Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Your top 10?

recceranger

The weather is shocking and I’ve been ripping through my movie collection. The question is, what are SGL members top 10 sci-fi movies of all time. I’ve listed mine below and attached one iconic image from each movie:

10. The Matrix

9. Terminator 1984

8. Equilibrium 

7. Blade Runner 2049

6. Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

5. Silent Running.

4. Alien.

3. Star Wars (a new hope).

2. Blade Runner.

1. 2001 A Space Odyssey.

7D6F9873-0099-48AF-ABD9-C8462C9A0D6E.jpeg

BF2F6B70-55C7-4E12-97EF-4A850096565D.jpeg

5B793D66-5C07-47B1-991D-A7B0976C4A58.jpeg

2EC3E8C1-4FBA-4CD3-BDC3-457CD6AB3DEF.jpeg

0BFDCDD3-AD58-443D-B623-CF005B20F1B2.jpeg

713365C3-C6E7-4AAE-9745-475309BE13F7.jpeg

AFC0483D-1B61-4BE3-A71D-C25CCDEE8C3F.jpeg

4A40DD59-303A-4A5B-B364-EC1E9CB3656D.jpeg

E90B5BCE-2069-43EA-AA5E-1F65041152E8.jpeg

C1394E58-89C0-4CEE-8528-C81DA858B2DC.jpeg

• Like 3

I see a lot of movies in common on my list:

The fifth element

Equilibrium (a very overlooked and underrated movie. Not just Sci-Fi wise)

12 monkeys (not sure if this is Sci-Fi or just post apocalyptic)

Logans Run

The matrix

Contact

The martian (although I'm not sure it would be on my list if I hadn't read the book first. The book, as almost always, is way better than the film)

Star Wars, A new hope or Empire strikes back

Bladerunner

District 9

As I wrote this, I probably re-arranged the order 4 times. Still not sure :). 

• Like 3

1) Blade Runner ( The final cut)

2) Blade Runner (any other version of the original film)

3) Alien

4) 2001

5)  Forbidden Planet (a classic from 1957 , but it still holds up )

6) The Martian

7) V for Vendetta

8 ) Serenity ( Firefly spinoff , loved the TV series too )

9) The Fifth Element (daft but imaginative & fun)

10) Galaxy Quest (even dafter, but highly resonant if you have been around sci fi fandom a bit, and especially if you ever went to a convention ... )

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, George Gearless said:

The martian (although I'm not sure it would be on my list if I hadn't read the book first. The book, as almost always, is way better than the film)

Totally agree and it’s way funnier than the film with a lot more science 

• Like 1

What 😱 

No-one has put "Dark Star" on their list, how can that be.

who can forget the beach ball alien  

Image result for Dark Star Film

and the talking "Thermostellar Bomb" with the existential crisis

See the source image

At least "Forbidden Planet" made a list, as did "Silent Running"

More recently I think "Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets" is a worthy contender (by Luc Besson of 5th Element fame)

Edited by fifeskies
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, George Gearless said:

7 minutes ago, Jiggy 67 said:

Totally agree and it’s way funnier than the film with a lot more science 

I had a dilemma with that : I bought the DVD from Sainsburys who threw in a free copy of the paperback . Usually I find if I read the book first , see the film second, the film is almost always a major let down ( honourable exceptions : the Hobbit (Jackson version) and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, where the film was different but I still enjoyed it )

So, The Martian ... do I read first, or view first ? I ran out of reading material before I had a clear evening to devote to film watching, so read it first. Certainly the book was more detailed and involving, but Damon did a pretty good job acting the unassuming hero sciencing the whatsit out of his situation, and I found the film fun to watch (especially because I knew how it ended 🙂  ).

Heather

Heather

10 minutes ago, fifeskies said:

What 😱 

No-one has put "Dark Star" on their list, how can that be.

who can forget the beach ball alien  

Image result for Dark Star Film

and the talking "Thermostellar Bomb" with the existential crisis

See the source image

At least "Forbidden Planet" made a list.

Dark Star , the 1952 original version of The Day the Earth Stood Still, Silent Running , Contact , and Quatermass were all considered but couldn't be squeezed in to just 10 ...

Heather

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tiny Clanger said:

I had a dilemma with that : I bought the DVD from Sainsburys who threw in a free copy of the paperback . Usually I find if I read the book first , see the film second, the film is almost always a major let down ( honourable exceptions : the Hobbit (Jackson version) and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, where the film was different but I still enjoyed it )

So, The Martian ... do I read first, or view first ? I ran out of reading material before I had a clear evening to devote to film watching, so read it first. Certainly the book was more detailed and involving, but Damon did a pretty good job acting the unassuming hero sciencing the whatsit out of his situation, and I found the film fun to watch (especially because I knew how it ended 🙂  ).

Heather

Heather

Matt Damon not only did a pretty good job. He did a fantastic job. My caveat was only because I wasn't sure how much the very enjoyable read I had with the book, rubbed off in my assessment of the film.

On a side note; Enders Game was an absolutely gripping read. I swallowed it down in record time and just couldn't put it down once I got started. Then I found out there was a movie too. It had Harrison Ford and Ben Kingsley on the role list, so I thought 'this gon'be gooooood'. Yikes! What an embarrassment of a movie. An absolutely toe-curling experience. The book, however, I highly recommend.

• Like 1

1. Blade Runner

2. 2001

3. Alien

4.  Terminator (1984)

5 . Arrival (2016, absolute must see)

6.  Matrix

7.  Inception

8. The Thing

9. Under The skin

10. A quiet Place

I must say it is very difficult picking just 10.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 2

Hmmm, in no particular order:

The Matrix, Alien, Aliens, District 9, Blade Runner, The Martian, Children of Men, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, The Terminator & A Clockwork Orange.

Plus more firm franchise favourites like the Star Wars films and TV spin offs, especially the excellent Mandalorian. The Guardians of the Galaxy movies.

On to TV... Hands down the best television Scifi of the 21st century; Battlestar Galactica and The Expanse.

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

On to TV... Hands down the best television Scifi of the 21st century; Battlestar Galactica and The Expanse.

You Sir, certainly know your sci-fi, Expanse is Sci-Fi nirvana! how about that battle in Episode 10! just awesome.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

You Sir, certainly know your sci-fi, Expanse is Sci-Fi nirvana! how about that battle in Episode 10! just awesome.

You too lol. Yes the last episode was fantastic. A sad, and very under played death, great space battle and a massive cliffhanger! Roll on next season.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, George Gearless said:

Matt Damon not only did a pretty good job. He did a fantastic job. My caveat was only because I wasn't sure how much the very enjoyable read I had with the book, rubbed off in my assessment of the film.

I had a discussion with friends at the time which revolved around how amusingly dreadful the film would have been had certain other actors taken the job instead , our favourite selections for film tanking Hollywood ego for comedy effect in the role was a tie between B. Willis and T. Cruise ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In no particular order:

Star Wars (the original trilogy)

District 9

The Martain

Close Encounter (OTTK)

Rogue One

Deadpool (as in X-men)

Stargate

I'm stuck now. I'd have to consult my dvd/br collection.

Can we include tv shows?:

"V"

Mandalorian 

Star Trek: Discovey 

Edited by LukeSkywatcher
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Yes he has. It’s this:

6A9F9AB9-21F9-4680-8500-3FE61A7F8DD8.png.0354d95e56ab2d6f89ff4cb3c6e637a7.png

That's one HAL of a joke @JeremyS.

My top two are:

1) 2001 A Space Odyssey  - which I went to see with the then Miss Ely who was wearing a very small pair of hot pants.

2) Star Wars A New Hope - which I went to see with my then wife of two years but I don't recall what she was wearing .

Regards Andrew 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, andrew s said:

My top two are:

1) 2001 A Space Odyssey  - which I went to see with the then Miss Ely who was wearing a very small pair of hot pants.

2) Star Wars A New Hope - which I went to see with my then wife of two years but I don't recall what she was wearing .

Regards Andrew 

Danish Pastries?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, andrew s said:

My top two are:

Regards Andrew 

Don’t tell us you were wearing flares, Andrew.

Just as long as you weren’t  wearing budgie smugglers in sympathy, I think we’re safe

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JeremyS said:

Don’t tell us you were wearing flares, Andrew.

Just as long as you weren’t  wearing budgie smugglers in sympathy, I think we’re safe

Flares yes, budgie smugglers no (only ever in French swimming pools).

Regards Andrew 

• Like 1