NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My First Tak!!!!!!!!

After dreaming about owning a Tak I finally have one, I find myself with butterflies in my stomach thinking this is too good for me lol. It all happened when I responded to a classified ad for an unrelated item then struck a conversation with a gentleman who happens to have several Tak’s including a TOA150.  Once he heard me mention how much I wanted to have a Tak one day, his next sentence was “well I have a couple which I don’t use much anymore” considering he has about 15 scopes. He was willing to part with this mint TSA-102 which I jumped on. It is fitted with a beautiful moonlight focusser, the original focuser he gave me also, in case I wanted the authentic look or for resale one day I can offer the original focuser. 

This will be my first and last Tak (my wife said emphatically) “ok sweetie” I replied, I hope so because they are pricey and, I’m not rich. Anyway, I’d love to hear about any experiences with this scope some of you may have, the nice fellow who sold it said “on a night of good seeing you’ll run out of power, it takes magnification like a champion” I can’t wait for a clear night. This is more scope than I’ve ever had, I’m ecstatic, I almost got dizzy when I stood back and looked at it after I put it on my Vixen GP. It sure is a beautiful scope and, being a fan of splitting doubles, this scope should make short work of difficult doubles, seeing permitting.

CD100700-0C86-40CB-AB79-2A44BD5AA7B3.jpeg

D4D36EEF-3310-42CA-9FAF-A4493A51C1BE.jpeg

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 29

Excellent! Personally I'd have the original focuser over the Moonlite but I'm notoriously allergic to Crayfords. 🤣 It might actually be better for doubles, I'll admit.

A good 4 inch refractor has so much going for it and here you have one of the best ever. A bit of the famous 'hospital green' does gladden the heart. :D

Olly

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

That’s a real beauty, looking forward to hearing your forthcoming observing reports. Some nice winter targets out there for you. Good things often come out of friendly chats with people - years ago I had a conversation with the organiser of the Norfolk Lotus Club, I mentioned that I was looking for an original Elise in good condition, and he said “one of our members has just bought a new one and might be interested in selling you his old one”. Well, he was, and it turned out to be in pristine condition and the colour combination I wanted. A very rare opportunity so I took it and fifteen years later I still use it regularly! Still can’t believe my luck really.  I’m sure your story will be the same. 🙂

Edited by RobertI
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sunshine said:

Thanks for all the congrats everyone! now if the clouds would break maybe i can do some star splitting!

In the meantime, just keep posting photos. We can’t get enough of the TSA 102 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Now for some opinions on the focuser, i am torn between leaving the moonlight on or, putting the original focuser on (I will keep both). Are Tak focusers as under engineered as many say? looking at the focuser it sure looks like

something you'd see on any department store scope (visually only) I'm not sure to what spec it is made. Having said  that, what would you do? the original has no dual speed but otherwise it seems smooth and works fine.

2 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Now for some opinions on the focuser, i am torn between leaving the moonlight on or, putting the original focuser on (I will keep both). Are Tak focusers as under engineered as many say? looking at the focuser it sure looks like

something you'd see on any department store scope (visually only) I'm not sure to what spec it is made. Having said  that, what would you do? the original has no dual speed but otherwise it seems smooth and works fine.

Well, you've seen the Tak factory videos about the company's engineering, attention to detail and hand tuning.

I've got the original focuser on all 6 of my Taks 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Well, you've seen the Tak factory videos about the company's engineering, attention to detail and hand tuning.

I've got the original focuser on all 6 of my Taks 🙂

This says a lot.

After a little initial tweaking I rather like the Tak R&P that my FC100-DL has. It's F/9 though so perhaps dual speed is less essential, at least for the purely visual observer like myself ?

I have a Moonlite on my ED120 and a Feathertouch on my LZOS 130 which are also very nice though. If I was to change the focuser on the Tak it would be to a Feathertouch. It makes even the Moonlite seem a little ordinary.

Edited by John
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sunshine said:

Personally I'd use the Tak focuser rather than the moonlight, but I dislike Crayfords and love the classic look of the Tak rack and pinion. With my DZ though, I use a Baader BBHS prism with helical micro focuser.  The reason is that the rediculous high powers the scope takes, particularly when looking at double stars, does require a very fine touch.  

You have a truly fantastic scope!! :icon_cyclops_ani:

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

I have decided to put the Tak focuser on, I rather like the look of it, it seems as god intended it to be.

74EF5024-0D51-46D9-B933-0CE9AF4C1E52.jpeg

Now that definitely looks the part. Especially with the green TSA serial number plate 👍
A timeless classic if ever there was one 

Edited by JeremyS
  • Like 2