Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SGL Maintenance Downtime Tonight 9pm GMT

I rarely use the mobile version, but am finding the desktop font sizing a bit much. Section and topic titles are a bit too big, reducing the number on screen without scrolling. I don't run the browser full screen and reducing zoom from 100% will make all other sites I use unreadable. Not using any customised views as I've never looked, just whatever the SGL default is when I open the site.

• Like 1

Despite what I said - some things were looking rather large so I have tweaked a little more, hopefully it's a bit more consistent now but if there is anything else people notice, please report but please post a screenshot so I know exactly which bit you mean.

To fix the activity stream issues I'm having to rebuild the search index which is going to take a few hours, in the meantime the streams will not function properly at all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

I rarely use the mobile version, but am finding the desktop font sizing a bit much. Section and topic titles are a bit too big, reducing the number on screen without scrolling. I don't run the browser full screen and reducing zoom from 100% will make all other sites I use unreadable. Not using any customised views as I've never looked, just whatever the SGL default is when I open the site.

Yes, I've reduced the page to 80% zoom in Firefox and that works better for me for all the non-content stuff, but the content is now a teeny bit on the small side.

It looks like I can make the zoom site-specific though, so at least it won't affect other windows and tabs.

James

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grant said:

Despite what I said - some things were looking rather large so I have tweaked a little more, hopefully it's a bit more consistent now but if there is anything else people notice, please report but please post a screenshot so I know exactly which bit you mean.

That looks a bit more balanced for me at 100% zoom now.  I reckon I can go to 90% zoom and it should be pretty much ok.

James

Is it just me but where's the edit button gone? Being a pedantic so-and-so and a not-very-good typist I often see mistakes and go back to correct typos. Has it just moved or is it gone?

EDIT: Ah, I just found it, works differently!

Edited by wulfrun
found it!

2 minutes ago, wulfrun said:

Is it just me but where's the edit button gone? Being a pedantic so-and-so and a not-very-good typist I often see msitakes and go back to correct typos. Has it just moved or is it gone?

in the 3-dot button top right of your post 🙂

image.png.5273883f573550e7e7c54e01c622f23c.png

Edited by DaveL59

Just now, wulfrun said:

Is it just me but where's the edit button gone? Being a pedantic so-and-so and a not-very-good typist I often see msitakes and go back to correct typos. Has it just moved or is it gone?

In the bar above your post (the bit that has your name in), there are  three dots.  Click on those and there's a menu that has "edit" as an option.

James

I've just noticed that in the activity stream the font size for the content (in the expanded view) is 14px whereas when viewing a thread it is 16px.  That feels a bit odd when switching between the two, but I shan't be crying into my tea over it.

James

Ok, one more thing that seems odd, but if it's intentional then I can live with it...

In the activity stream in expanded mode, the font size used for the topic of a new thread is larger than that used for a thread that already has replies (20px vs 15px, from memory):

890554581_Screenshotat2021-01-2214-21-29.png.3605a5a3b1bd38f2109862e7fc580c39.png

James

• Like 1

I can't win on font sizes - the settings I have affect too many different things so changing one variable affects multiple areas so some look OK, others don't -  I can't go through every bit of the theme and edit each one manually (well I can, but I'm not going to!). 

I have tried to find a balance now across most things and 15px font size seems reasonable on my desktop and should be OK for most people.

If you want it bigger, you can opt for a larger font in the theme settings, click on this button top right on a desktop:

image.png.e4969cf95f262c8a70ca8e0970f4cb64.png

And then use the larger fonts for posts tick box:

image.png.631f2db0da028406b274d8e8adad0eb0.png

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Grant said:

I can't win on font sizes - the settings I have affect too many different things so changing one variable affects multiple areas so some look OK, others don't -  I can't go through every bit of the theme and edit each one manually (well I can, but I'm not going to!). 

I have tried to find a balance now across most things and 15px font size seems reasonable on my desktop and should be OK for most people.

If you want it bigger, you can opt for a larger font in the theme settings, click on this button top right on a desktop:

image.png.e4969cf95f262c8a70ca8e0970f4cb64.png

And then use the larger fonts for posts tick box:

image.png.631f2db0da028406b274d8e8adad0eb0.png

Understood, Grant, but the font for the titles has gone back to being too small on my iPhone, when you look at the expanded or compressed list of titles. The slider option on iPhone only has “larger font-size for posts?”. I have activated that, which indeed makes the font within a post larger, but has no effect on the font.

As somebody else pointed out, the title of a new thread has a larger font than an older thread. The larger font size in the former is just perfect for me. Can you make them all like that?

26774BB5-8015-4E78-B668-0C9B0A4B3B82.thumb.jpeg.f241e50819bc544250d1422b0cb7fae9.jpeg

Edited by JeremyS

7 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Understood, Grant, but the font for the titles has gone back to being too small on my iPhone, when you look at the expanded or compressed list of titles. The slider option on iPhone only has “larger font-size for posts?”. I have activated that, when indeed makes the font within a post larger, but has no effect on the font.

As somebody else pointed out, the title of a new thread has a larger font than an older thread. The larger font size in the former is just perfect for me. Can you make them all like that?

26774BB5-8015-4E78-B668-0C9B0A4B3B82.thumb.jpeg.f241e50819bc544250d1422b0cb7fae9.jpeg

I've sorted this so they are consistent.

It's been mentioned above, but could we please have the edit button back at the bottom of the posting?  I use the edit button a lot and its a PITN to have to click the three dots to find it. 

FWIW I'm also not keen on the list of stats that have started to appear at the bottom of the screen when I visit a new thread - is there any way of turning that off at a user level please?  Please also the same request for the facebook, twitter, youtube icons that have appeared in the top menu none of which I would ever use.  Perhaps we could have a new view and a legacy view option that users could select as tbh. I much preferred things before the changes when I fancy you could fit more on the screen.

Edited by JOC

1 hour ago, JOC said:

It's been mentioned above, but could we please have the edit button back at the bottom of the posting?  I use the edit button a lot and its a PITN to have to click the three dots to find it. 

FWIW I'm also not keen on the list of stats that have started to appear at the bottom of the screen when I visit a new thread - is there any way of turning that off at a user level please?  Please also the same request for the facebook, twitter, youtube icons that have appeared in the top menu none of which I would ever use.  Perhaps we could have a new view and a legacy view option that users could select as tbh. I much preferred things before the changes when I fancy you could fit more on the screen.

The edit options are still there - click on the three dots on the right hand side of the post.

Just now, Grant said:

The edit options are still there - click on the three dots on the right hand side of the post.

Many thanks, yes - I'd already found them, but it's nowhere near as convenient as having the obvious buttons on the bottom of the post.