NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from Lancashire

Iced Tiger

Hi from a cloudy west Lancashire, bought a Celestron Nexstar 8SE during the first lock down. I have been reading the forum for a while for hints and tips, so I thought I would join. Still on a steep learning curve and adding to the set up as I go. Already invested in a few bits and bobs, recent purchase of a Baader 2” star diagonal and some click lock adapters is on the way from FLO. Hope they turn up for Wednesday, looks like it will be cloud free over me.

atb

Neil.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard SGL Neil. Good to have you with us.

The learning curve can be steep, but take it at your own pace, the stars aren't going anywhere. What types of objects do you think you'll prefer? I like a mixed bag, but don't get much chance at galaxies with the light pollution around here. (Bortle 7/8).

Good choice of scope.

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome gents, I am concentrating on the planets at the moment, Mars being visible most of the time. Waiting for a chance to observe the moon which should come on Wednesday.  I think I might suffer with light pollution as well, will have to see about galaxies further down the line.

Hi Neil.  You've got a nice 'scope there!  Since you have a 2" diagonal,  you might consider something like a 42mm Revelation to squeeze a bit more field of view out of it.

And to start on galaxies, go for the famous M31.  It's a treat to see such an object.  I saw it easily the other night with a small aperture and a bright Moon!  M81 (and 82) should also be easily manageable.

Have fun!

Doug.

• Like 1