Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Newbie from Cheshire

Rangefinder10

Hi SGL

I've recently joined the Lounge although I've been soaking up knowledge by reading through many topics and postings  for some time.

I've also been admiring the many fabulous setups that are on show throughout the forums.

I'm a new old boy (late 70's) to this hobby, although I've been generally interested in looking at the sky for many years.

I bought a new WO Megrez 72 some 10 years ago, together with a WO zoom eyepiece and a 3mm SPL, which I used on a Manfrotto tripod for both terrestrial and the night sky viewing.

I'm purely visual with zero interest in computer imaging.

I decided earlier this year, start of lockdown, to devote more time to this hobby, and invested in some new additional equipment, I must say with some mixed results.

I bought a new SW SkyMax 150, a set of Hyperion eyepieces, and a SkyTee2 (manual altaz preferred). I didn't get the results that I expected from the SkyMax probably due to my local seeing conditions, and returned it.

Kept the eyepieces, as a wearer of specs and a long time camera user, the long eye relief 20mm is a critical factor for me. It doesn't matter how good the eyepieces are if you can't see through them properly!  I thought that they would be a decent standard of eyepiece for whatever I chose to replace the Mak.

The SkyTee is now back with FLO for repair/replacment under warranty after a few weeks use, poor agricultural quality. I think that I might to uprate this sooner rather than later

After my foray into new territory with the Mak, I've decided that my preference is to stay with a frac ( I'm a fan of sit down viewing), so I am now looking out for a decent 4" frac doublet apo

Simplicity, comfort, enjoyment and ease of use of equipment are most important factors

cheers

John

• Like 2

Hi John, have read your message with interest  and welcome aboard, I've just recently got back to it and need to move stuff on the try different projects. I am selling my William Optics Flt 110, if you're interested, just let me know.

Cheers,

John

• 1 month later...