Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Completely new to this

vhscar

Dear All, 

Am completely new to astronomy, and need help on best telescope to buy.  Research suggested perhaps a Meade Infinity 102 AZ3 102mm refractor with tripod, but they seem impossible to obtain ?

Is there a good alternative , am hoping to view planets, stars, galaxies etc., maybe even black holes but that may be a bit of an ask.   Seems some people spend huge money but being new it may be best to be modest.

Thank you very much,

Hiya. Welcome board.

This is an old thread, but has some good general advice for those new to astronomy.
https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/35441-essential-reading-for-those-who-are-thinking-about-getting-into-astronomy/

Currently there's a bit of a shortage of astronomy equipment, including scopes, due to CV19. Hopefully in the next month or two things will get back to normal.  I've got kit ordered that's on a 30-40 day lead time. I suppose it teaches patience, which you'll need for this hobby.

All the best,

Mark

Hi Mark

Thank you very much, will read that long thread completely and try and learn more.  It's really confusing for a beginner as there is a huge amount to take in at once

Useful to know about the shortages, 

Thanks again.

There is a lot to learn, but you don't have to understand everything to get started. Just a book on the constellations, or charts printed from the net, is enough to get you started with learning your way around the sky. If you've got a pair of binoculars, better still, there's loads you can see with those.

Once you develop a passion for it, you'll start to work out what you fancy taking further (some telescopes are better suited to the moon, planets and smaller objects, and others better for large faint extended objects like galaxies). Then the limits are set by how much time and money you want to spend. Warning: this is addictive - but in a good way.

It's worth checking if you've got any local clubs near you so you can talk in person to other telescope owners. At the present things are a bit quiet (covid and summer), but hopefully in the next month or so clubs will start up again and you may be able to go along and look through people's scopes and see for yourself what a great hobby this can be.

Reading through some of the threads on here, especially in the newcomers areas can be enlightening. You'll get to understand how different people approach astronomy, what they get from it and the reasons they've chosen the equipment they've got. That can be more enlightening than just reading the sometimes dry equipment specifications. Things like whether you wear glasses, whether you're going to observe from your house or take your kit to a dark site, whether you want to just look (visual astronomy) or take pictures (astrophotography) can have a dramatic effect on what will be useful to you.

Seeing black holes is a bit ambitious 🙂  https://www.quotes.net/show-quote/66989

Remember on here, no question is a daft question, so feel free to ask for advice.

10 minutes ago, banjaxed said:

Hi and welcome to SGL. In my opinion you can’t go wrong with the Skywatcher 200P Dobsonian. They  can usually be picked up very reasonable in the used market.

Mind you - it's a sellers' market just now. So many people are waiting for supplies to return to normal, with stories of 2-3 month waiting lists. If you see a secondhand 200p for sale in good nick, you'll need to move quickly!

1 hour ago, vhscar said:

Thank you Michael, was just looking at this:  Sky-Watcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian  

Is that the same sort of thing ?  ( mind you it does not have legs )

Yes! The 200 is even larger than the 150. Excellent scope for a beginner and comes with a decent finder and eyepieces, so you don't have to invest in other things to get started. But keep in mind that they're quite large and heavy.

You can't see black holes with a scope because, well, they're black. You can see stars orbiting a black hole though!

1 hour ago, vhscar said:

Thank you Michael, was just looking at this:  Sky-Watcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian  

Is that the same sort of thing ?  ( mind you it does not have legs )

Hello and welcome.

I took delivery of a Skywatcher Skyliner 200p last week. From order through FLO to delivery was just over 4 weeks. Given the shortage due to C19, that's pretty good IMO.

Ive managed to get out once with it so far and I can tell you the views through this scope are astonishing. This is a cracking bit of kit. Very big though...

Andy

Huge thanks to everyone !

Didn't really expect any replies, so very pleased and grateful for all the very helpful information. 

Beginning to realise that there is  bit more to this, some of these objects are VERY far way !

• Like 2

I would definitely recommend to read this thread to ensure your expectations aren’t out of proportion to what a small scope will offer you.

I recently purchased a 200P dobsonian skywatcher and I have nothing but praise for it. It’s big enough to capture enough light for me to be happy with but is also about the right size and manoeuvrability.  Lots of more experienced users here are bang on when they say the right scope is the one you’ll use! 

• Like 2

Well, first posted here seven hours ago. Not stopped reading , watching, listening since, so much to learn.

It's the middle of the night now, so should be sleeping , but going out to look at the night sky, for now just with eyes

So grateful for all the help and advice from everyone, it has been a huge help, thank you very much

• Like 1

10 hours ago, vhscar said:

Dear All, 

Am completely new to astronomy, and need help on best telescope to buy.  Research suggested perhaps a Meade Infinity 102 AZ3 102mm refractor with tripod, but they seem impossible to obtain ?

Is there a good alternative , am hoping to view planets, stars, galaxies etc., maybe even black holes but that may be a bit of an ask.   Seems some people spend huge money but being new it may be best to be modest.

Thank you very much,

First of all, welcome from Land Down Under

You have to decide what you want to use the scope for

Just purely observing, then cannot go far wrong with a 10" Flex Dob

If you want to venture into AP, then you will need a mount with Go-To

Then go for a SW ED100 on a HEQ5 mount

Have attached pic of my 10" Flex Dob, and my ED80 on a EQ5pro mount taken at club viewing days

The pic with the ED80 was taken at a club solar viewing day, and the ED80 in background with camera fitted is an HEQ5 mount

To power the Go-To mount, I use a car jump start pack, while other club members use a marine battery box

John

Skywatcher 10in Dob.jpg

Skywatcher ED80.jpg

Hi @vhscar and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

Depending what you want to observe depends on what 'scope you choose. Unfortunately no 'scope does all. For visual and no-frills, then a Dobsonian maybe the only 'scope you may ever need. Whilst you are deciding what 'scope to purchase, then get yourself a copy of this book... Turn Left at Orion.