NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What does your other half think of astronomy?

G1ZmO

What does your other half think of astronomy?

I just watched "Lost Horizons: The Big Bang" presented by Jim Al Khalili on the history of the theory of the big bang.

1 - When I asked my partner if she enjoyed it her response was "I'm enjoying that it's finished"

2 - When I asked her if she thought it was informative her response was "It's rubbish"

50 years of research by the brightest minds in physics and it's just "rubbish"

Dunno why they bothered! lol ;D

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife has no interest in any aspect of the hobby.

Can't say every aspect interests me. The Big Bang stuff has me falling asleep. "I'm enjoying that it's finished" ...... that would sum it up for me too :)

Irrelevant, just me.

Then again if I had seen the program I may have thought that it was rubbish.You are assuming that she is wrong.

The one thing I have found is that people have very definite views on things such as the big bang and god help anyone who thinks anything different.

My wife hates it with a passion. Doesn't see the point - and lets face it all I do is try to take pretty pictures.

The theory stuff she dislikes even more... Complete waste of money blah blah blah etc etc etc

Ant

Sorry guy's.....I am lucky in that my wife has a casual interest in the stars.

She likes looking at the moon and planets visually and is facinated that we can get galaxies to appear on the screen!

Still moans at times about the cost, especially as i sold up last year and am now getting new kit.

When i got fed up she said store the kit and wait for the interest to come back.

Perhaps i should listen to her more often. :):p :oops:

Although my wife finds it all very dull and wonders why I spend ages getting cold to take some pictures of stars she did buy for me winter warm clothing to save me from getting cold.

I think her interest in it is keeping me safe rather than looking through the eyepiece.

However, she is a fantastic 'lunar spotter' as she always calls out when she spots it. I therefore reckon she is a secret star spotter.

Her favourite question is 'Have you seen Uranus yet'.

My other half thinks I'm nuts.

If she catches me looking at the ad's for a new scope, well hell breaks out.

''You don't use the ones you already have half the time!'' Dispite the fact it's wall to wall cloud most of the time....''if you want it don't go down the pub''. :p

Some of you have it easy. :)

Mick.G.

My wife is not terribly interested but will come and look at the moon or Saturn and make polite comments. I think she is glad that my hobby generally does not take me away from home too much - we hardly used to see my dad because he was on the golf course all weekend !.

John

Virg must be the exception to the rule then. :)

Okay she isnt going to spend hours outside but she does come out and look through the scopes and pass comments on my imaging attemps.She enjoys coming along to Star Parties and socalising.

She is also supportive in my expenditure :p

My partner is very into science - I just like the views really. She likes the cosmology stuff whereas I am deeply cynical about 'science' on the whole. My cynicism comes from working in a research funding department in a University which was a bit of an eye opener :)

I am kind of lucky in that she likes the views as well so considers the scopes to be money well spent even though she really wanted a brass antique telescope as a bit of room decor and now she has to contend with a big blue thing and a little orange thing parked in the living room.

My wife is generally supportive of my Astro interests. She doesn't want to observe or image, but if called to the 'scope will make polite comments. She rarely grumbles if I want to spend an evening observing and she rarely complains about the cost (Although, to be fair, she doesn't really know the true cost). Her comment is that if I enjoy it and it doesn't break the bank, then do it.

I guess I am lucky in that my spouse almost encourages my Astro interests :)

Tom

My other half just puts up with me..............lol

She had an look at the moon tonight and the nebula in orion,

she seemed impressed but still suspects I am using the telescope to watch her at No5 is getting undressed though.

My wifey is supportive, and makes nice comments when I show her my images. She doesn't have any interest in the hobby though, but is happy that I am happy...

I'd love her to get more involved, but that ain't gonna happen. We've struck a happy medium though, and she brings me cups of coffee when I am out getting cold, and more importantly, allows me to use her as a hot water bottle when I get into bed @ 2am!!! :)

Actually it was L'Missus who got me into stargazing. We came into some money a few years ago and she wanted to buy a telescope to she could have a look. Ended up buying a TAL 150P which she barely touched and I re-appropriated it as I got into it :) . In fariness though, our previous house backed onto a station that serves the East coast mainline with a 25 foot garden which had 30-odd feet trees at the bottom of it so it wasn't the greatest of locations in retrospect. More recently it was her idea to but the imaging setup so it's not all bad here at all.

Funny thing is she hates the cold and trying to get her out at this time of year is a fruitless excercise, she's a definate warm weather stargazer if there's such a thing.

Tony..

My lass has a tenuous interest, which has survived for years. It's the result of her first view of Saturn from our garden one night. She is OK with my spending, but is waiting to see me getting the images to justify the expenditure. I just tell her there are others wondering the same thing. :laughing2: It's a matter of watch this space I suppose.

Ron. :)

I'm very lucky, my wife is perfectly happy for me to spend time outside and to spend lots of money on equipment ...........

....... she sees it as an opportunity to watch whatever she wants to on the telly and to spend an equal amount of money on useless stuff like clothes, shoes, handbags.

Seriously, she enjoys looking at the moon and the planets but does not understand why I bother looking at little faint things that I can barely see. Come to think of it ...

Mike

My wife is exactly the same Mike,she loves looking at the moon and Saturn but only in the warmer months,she does enjoy looking at all the great images on here though,but only if there aren't any soaps on the telly.

One has to prioritise,doesn't one. :)

My wife thinks its all a waist of time. Why spend lots of money on kit when there are websites like NASA etc that have better pictures. :?

She says ''your not really into it'', ''its just my compulsive excessive disorder attaching itself to the next thing.'' :shock:

When I get her to look through the eye piece at the Moon she suddenly becomes an annoying obstacle. :mrgreen:

Archived