Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

300mm binocular apochromat

I came across some pictures of this professional instrument on the APM website.

Not only is the instrument itself extremely impressive but the mount is an engineering work of art as well in my opinion :icon_biggrin:

The objectives are a pair of APM / LZOS F/7.5 300mm triplets. Mouthwatering !

APM Apo Bino 12 inch-20.jpg

APM Apo Bino 12 inch-11.jpg

• Like 9

These look familiar! Has this pic been posted before? I can't imagine how much these cost but I applaud the fact they have been made. I only hope plenty of people get to look through them! What a treat that would be on a night of good seeing.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

I wonder what its intended purpose is?

Apparently, the binoviewing equipment can be removed so they can be used singly for imaging.

The mount is available separately and is also multi-purpose - a childs swing can be fitted to the top of the arm :icon_biggrin:

It actually reminds me of the davits that hold the lifeboat's on large ships.

Don't know what the cost is or who the customer was. 2000 kg in total weight (scopes and mount)  :shocked:

1635440066_APMApoBino12inch-2.jpg.e1a4485349775d8d532fe092c7aef3e0.jpg

• Like 1

I already have a 300mm aperture apochromatic binoscope.  Mine uses mirrors though, lighter, cheaper and takes up less room.  At F3.5 it probably has a wider field of view than the one posted.  Envious? not me.    🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

I already have a 300mm aperture apochromatic binoscope.  Mine uses mirrors though, lighter, cheaper and takes up less room.  At F3.5 it probably has a wider field of view than the one posted.  Envious? not me.    🙂

Quite right Peter.  For some years I used to tell anyone who asked what telescope I had that I had a six inch f8 apochromat.  It was a six inch f8 Newt of course.  It certainly stopped people bragging about the telescopes they had 🙂.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Peter Drew said:

I was not trying to sell these Peter and not trying to make people envious.

Just posting some pics of what I thought was an interesting instrument :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1