Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dob Storage

9 hours ago, Stardaze said:

How well does the tracking system work on the bigger dob?

Once the initial alignment is successful the tracking is really quite good. I have left it tracking Saturn and gone inside to have dinner and when I returned half an hour later it was still just on the edge of the viewfinder. No use for AP but fine for visual which is all I do anyway.

18 minutes ago, garryblueboy said:

Thanks 

I've been thinking that, you can buy a fairly capable setup, for a reasonable outlay  (coming from a photography background where I do have £'000s invested) But as with most pursuits, there are extremes. Looking at your gear list, I think that pretty much looks like the other end of the stratosphere. I'll enjoy the naive early years of learning, but as always, do wonder what that kind of kit can produce in capable hands?

Edited by Stardaze

39 minutes ago, Stardaze said:

I've been thinking that, you can buy a fairly capable setup, for a reasonable outlay  (coming from a photography background where I do have £'000s invested) But as with most pursuits, there are extremes. Looking at your gear list, I think that pretty much looks like the other end of the stratosphere. I'll enjoy the naive early years of learning, but as always, do wonder what that kind of kit can produce in capable hands?

The difference is small but noticeable 

9 minutes ago, garryblueboy said:

The difference is small but noticeable 

I’ve always said that with anything these days, mid-range will buy you capable kit that will last. Top end, doesn’t always make a significant difference per £s, but is worth it to those that can/need/want. Interesting. 
Dobs don’t look the fashionable end, but seem the best bang for the £s, so looking forward to hopefully a decent step-up when my new one arrives.

Even if kept inside you might want to consider buying a Chimnea cover (or patio furniture cover) to go over it.  These can be obtained (in all shapes and sizes) from the popular auction site at very little cost and you can get a really nice one made of 'Oxford' material for a fraction of the cost of a made to telescope proper telescope cover.  I use a chimnea cover and find it is great for keeping the dust off inside and on a dry night, if it's late and I don't want to bring the scope inside, it's easy enough to just pop on the cover and it is fine to sort out the next day.

• Like 1

On 28/04/2020 at 14:02, JOC said:

Even if kept inside you might want to consider buying a Chimnea cover (or patio furniture cover) to go over it.  These can be obtained (in all shapes and sizes) from the popular auction site at very little cost and you can get a really nice one made of 'Oxford' material for a fraction of the cost of a made to telescope proper telescope cover.  I use a chimnea cover and find it is great for keeping the dust off inside and on a dry night, if it's late and I don't want to bring the scope inside, it's easy enough to just pop on the cover and it is fine to sort out the next day.

That's a great tip - thank you!

• 2 months later...
16 minutes ago, PaulM said:

Stored my old 12" and 8" in the garage

My current 14" lives in the conservatory corner

20190921_131049.jpg

20180916_224632.jpg

Hi Paul.

I have a 200 and 300p also. I cant believe the size difference between your 350 and 200p!  Do you have a pic of your 300 and 350p together, I would be interested in seeing how much of a size increase there is between them.

what do yiu have over the primary mirror on your 350p?

Regards

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

Hi Paul.

I have a 200 and 300p also. I cant believe the size difference between your 350 and 200p!  Do you have a pic of your 300 and 350p together, I would be interested in seeing how much of a size increase there is between them.

what do yiu have over the primary mirror on your 350p?

Regards

Hi

I unfortunately have no photos of the 300/350 together as I sold the 300 to get the 350. The dust cover over the primary came with the 350.

I have refused to house any of my gear in the (small what's left of the) garage for fear of damp/condensation, insects/slugs etc or possibly even vermin getting into the scope and causing big problems.

All my stuff is stored in the conservatory but if/when I get my new shed I shall store mount/tripod equipment out there. The current 10" dob is soon to go and Mrs Bomber Baz is over the moon with this news with this revelation, which is great for me because she didn't bother asking about the cost of the replacement, so lost was she in the euphoria 😂

My new , still to arrive truss dob will be stored in an outside office (other part of the converted garage) as this is heated, sealed and used regularly.

My home built 8.75" dob spent 18 years untouched in the garage with a cover over the top of the tube, and it didn't fare well. The primary mirror is tarnished and pock-marked. It's still usable, but would take more than re-silvering to restore it. It also looked like there was a spiders reunion in there at some point.

• Sad 1

I usually store my 300p dob in the guest bedroom, but when observing most nights, rather than wheeling it out onto the terrace, I keep inside this collapsible motorcycle shed  and wrapped in a scope cover. That way it's ready for a nights observing without having to re-align the Synscan (parked option).

IMG_1249.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 23/07/2020 at 16:03, bomberbaz said:

All my stuff is stored in the conservatory

Off topic, but it seems like everyone in the UK has a "conservatory" which I take to mean an non-heated/non-cooled sun-room or enclosed patio rather than a music room.  They're pretty rare here in Texas because it would be over 130° F in there for much of the year.  I take it they're much more pleasant there.

No. Conservatories can be very fancy indeed and are normally heated and air conditioning is popular. Modern conservatories are proper year round rooms but just with lots of windows and roofs can be glass or polycarbonate. Often have solar blinds in the roof that can be closed on hot sunny days.

This is the sort of specification of a modern conservatory.

F67C0400-0CF5-4FF8-A255-D37D9CC747A5.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Louis D said:

Off topic, but it seems like everyone in the UK has a "conservatory" which I take to mean an non-heated/non-cooled sun-room or enclosed patio rather than a music room.  They're pretty rare here in Texas because it would be over 130° F in there for much of the year.  I take it they're much more pleasant there.

My conservatory has a solid ceiling installed,  not really a conservatory anymore . The temperature gradient in the room is dramatically less now as a result.  It has become the preferred room of habitation