Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Second Etalon

richard ashbee

The best 60mm Lunt view I've ever had was with a tilt tuned version with a double stacked front etalon that I'm pretty sure was not factory matched.  You end up tuning them yourself for best results.     🙂

As far as I ken, you can add a second etalon to an existing single stacked 'scope - front mounted.

Have you checked whether Bresser.de have any stock? They're the Lunt reps in Europe and I know most if not all

the UK stores fulfil their orders from them.

On 24/04/2020 at 12:21, richard ashbee said:

I am still trying to tack down a Lunt LS60 with DS60

In the blurb it says that `the two Etalons have to be matched, does that mean you cannot buy a second Filter without returning the scope '

thanks

Bought my LS60DS years ago when they were first introduced, no mention was made of them matching, DS Etalon came in separate case.

Dave

so checked with every supplier in UK and Europe and no one has the 60mm DS. Could be  very late this or next year before stocks arrive

Is it worth considering getting the LS60 and the DS50 , B1200 ? any disadvantages . or better getting LS50 with DS50

Has anyone any photos taken with either set up

Thanks

Richard, they are on back-order at Lunt Solar in the US - have you considered the possibility of getting one shipped from them - or at least investigated how quickly they can ship?

Faye or Jennifer are usually quick to respond - though these aren't normal times as we know!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Altocumulus said:

Richard, they are on back-order at Lunt Solar in the US - have you considered the possibility of getting one shipped from them - or at least investigated how quickly they can ship?

Faye or Jennifer are usually quick to respond - though these aren't normal times as we know!

sent an email and wait reply, hopefully tomorrow

On 25/04/2020 at 15:08, richard ashbee said:

so checked with every supplier in UK and Europe and no one has the 60mm DS. Could be  very late this or next year before stocks arrive

Is it worth considering getting the LS60 and the DS50 , B1200 ? any disadvantages . or better getting LS50 with DS50

Has anyone any photos taken with either set up

Thanks

I have a LS60 with a LS50DS etalon on the front. I got mine as a used setup but the original owner had them as a set from new.

I know that means my setup is therefore effectively a Double Stacked LS50 but I’m very impressed by its performance visually.

As I’m visual only I’m afraid that I can’t provide any images.

I’m not sure how much of a difference the extra 10mm would make to me being visual only, but the fact that new the 60mm double stack Etalon costs more than my whole setup LS60 and DS50 cost me used kind of dissuades me from thinking about an upgrade. 

Ade

• Like 1

The 60mm double stack filter is red (attaches) while the 50mm is white. Although almost every review of the smaller filter has been good, it does turn your 60mm scope into a 50mm one - and that means a step down in resolution/detail. May as well get the much cheaper LS50/50DS. (LS50 is now on sale in the U.K. by the way - see FLO or Telescope House).

Lunt has just launched its full modular range in the US - they are a small company so clearly this has disrupted all other production. 

EE4DF6E2-035A-47FD-8162-7075F44E8D5C.jpeg

• Like 2

One advantage of the LS60 over the LS50 is that it permits binoviewing - if you save on the DS by stopping down to the cheaper 50mm front etalon.

I once viewed through a LS60 + 50mm DS, with a TV binovue - the views were incredible!  Made me take the plunge on my mono LS50DS;) Oh if i had the $$....

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Merlin66 said:

It’s the same or worse in Australia.....

I’ve been using a SM60 double stack on my ED80 for the past ten years....it would be great to upgrade but my pension budget doesn’t allow that.

Yes, but you make up for it in skill at imaging which others can only dream of.  ;)

50 minutes ago, niallk said:

One advantage of the LS60 over the LS50 is that it permits binoviewing - if you save on the DS by stopping down to the cheaper 50mm front etalon.

I once viewed through a LS60 + 50mm DS, with a TV binovue - the views were incredible!  Made me take the plunge on my mono LS50DS;) Oh if i had the $$....

Ah, you learn something every day.  I wasn't aware (or had more likely forgotten) that there were issues with binoviewing on the LS50. I use a pair of Maxbrights with a 1.7x GPC and a pair of NPL30s with my LS60 and you're right, the views through the BVs are truly fantastic.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Merlin66 said:

Russ,

Thanks for the kind comment.

Now if I could persuade my wife to move from the coast to inland Australia I'm sure the seeing would be MUCH better......

Merlin, I am gold coast hinterland, and have clear skies, when not clouded out

My club has a loan LUNT 60mm single stack, and the main issue with that is the pressure tuner, when not used for a while, have to disassemble the pressure tuner, and re-grease with silicon grease

I have the Coronado SolarMax11, for the outlay, not very impressed with

The Solarmax11 has a single  RichView tuner, and can also be fitted with a double stack on the front, have the BF10 blocking filter

The other thing do not like about the Solarmax11, have to slide the draw tube in or out to focus, does not have threaded for camera or barlow 

In front of the draw tube is helical focuser

The focuser, is locked in place by 2 nylon screws, which are very flimsy, scared to over tighten, incase snap one

The Solarmax111 is a big improvement on the Solarmax11, with either single or double stacked etalons, and improved tuner

The attached pic is of my Solarmax11 on a EQ5pro mount

John

Solarmax11.jpeg

Edited by cletrac1922
  • Like 1