Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Star link launch visible tonight over the UK.. 20:40 ish..

Fozzie

1 minute ago, steppenwolf said:

Well it was a spectacular sight just now, two objects, one large one small :thumbright: - such a shame that what follows is such a disaster for astro-imagers 🙁

Too true, spectacular but.... for our imaging friends... bad times indeed.

Looked good in the bins.

5 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

Too true, spectacular but.... for our imaging friends... bad times indeed.

Looked good in the bins.

I meant to say before, thanks for the heads up - it was something unusual to see while my imaging system cools down and the sky darkens for tonight's globular cluster onslaught!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Well quite something indeed, thanks for the heads up.

A live launch, pass overhead and watched satellites launching, amazing sight for now...

but of course another batch of the darned things!

Totally a bitter sweet event..

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Stargazer33 said:

Saw a stream of these things going right through Ursa Major last night whilst I was looking for the Lyrids. This enterprise of Musk is going  to ruin the night sky! 🤬😡😥

Yep, last few nights there's been way more then I expected, star link aside.. I was shocked, every direction possible, very regular.. 

saw it go over by eye, was out putting food out for the wee hog so didn't have the binos with me. Gotta admit I was hoping to see it turn into a nice big flame-out but no such luck, maybe next time huh 😉 

Just seen the little hog on the cctv but he's turned tail and really shifted out the garden and across the area out behind the garages. Who knew they could move that fast! Wonder what got it so panicked...

2 minutes ago, John said:

We are really torn over this aren't we ?

Love to watch the launch and catch the rocket as it passes over but hate the payloads it's carrying :rolleyes2:

Perhaps it's some massive global experiment in cognitive dissonance?

James

Just now, Alien 13 said:

I do wonder if projects like star link dont in fact increase the interest in astronomy massively..

My family have shown more interest in looking at the sky since the Starlink satellites have been passing over :undecided:

• Like 2

I was lucky enough a few years ago to witness a satellite breaking up in a fireball that streaked across the sky, very slow compared to anything else I've seen but quite a site to behold.

• Like 1

Perhaps this is how people felt during the 1950s when jet planes started booming across the skies just about everywhere.  The skies have rarely been as peaceful since until times like now, except now we have Bond-level space stuff going on.  How long until this Elon chap puts up his own Vegas style space station (or ten)?