Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mare Imbrium widefield mosaic

Nick Smith

Hi guys

Seeing was good, but not great last night, so I had to stick with widefield prime focus stuff. A lot of interesting features in this area including Hadley Rille, the Apollo 15 landing site (upper right of image).

This was the first go with the C14, so still very much getting to grips with optimising the imaging train and processing workflow etc.

This is the small version. Here is a link to the full-sized version:

http://www.pbase.com/nicksmith/image/106826838

original.jpg

Regards

Nick

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome image Nick! When are you going to post some photos of your equipment especially now you've upgraded to a C14 (only mildly jealous :D ), I for one am dying to see how you capture such amazing images of the moon!

I'm a big fan of the images you're producing, they're mesmerising, as Oliver would say... 'more please'!!

Stunning Nick, when did you get the C14 ? and what did you do with the C11 ?

I'd love to invest in a 14, do you have a obs ? I could handle taking out and in a C11, but a 14 is a beast to transport from the house to the garden.

Your plato is one of the sharpest I've seen, up there with Wes higgins for sure.

JJ

Sweet Jeez Nick, will you give over. Every subsequent lunar image you post exceeds the splendour of the one before. You can't keep going on like this, you will make the whole future of lunar missions redundant. :laughing2:

Another sensational picture. You really ought to consider a book of glossy Images mate, it could not fail. Even old ladies would see the wonder in these pictures.

Ron. :salute: :salute:

Thanks again chaps!

Stunning Nick, when did you get the C14 ? and what did you do with the C11 ?

I'd love to invest in a 14, do you have a obs ? I could handle taking out and in a C11, but a 14 is a beast to transport from the house to the garden.

Your plato is one of the sharpest I've seen, up there with Wes higgins for sure.

JJ

I've had the C14 for about a month, though I've had very little chance to use it. The C11 was sold to a lucky chap in Northern Ireland.

The C14 is a one man set-up (just), but things can get a bit hair-raising! It needs to be left out for long periods of time, or else it never reaches thermal equilibrium. I should have it permanently sited by the end of the year.

Heres another image from the other night

original.jpg

Nick, Your lunar images are better than anything I've ever seen on the net or in the astro press. They

are just breathtaking and have so much detail I would rather look at them than through my scope!!

As a matter of interest looking at Clavius and the incredible resolution , what's the smallest feature we can see are we into a few hundred metres?

cheers

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Archived