Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mare Imbrium widefield mosaic

Nick Smith

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How the hell did I miss this post, stunning clarity Nick.

I've seen some excellent Lunar images on SGL but the Mare Imbrium mosaic is one of the best.

You have got to be pleased with it Nick.

Looking forward to seeing many more in 2009

Paul

Thanks again chaps-a bit of an unexpected thread revival!

To answer a couple of the questions: the scope is 14" aperture; the resolution in Clavius is down to about 1km, maybe a bit lower if you count the "dots" as being resolved as craters. If anyone has a decent reference for this I would appreciate a look at it, as the best I could find only went down to about 1.5km. With a C14 in good conditions it should be easily possible to resolve sub-kilometre detail as this image was only taken at prime focus.

Regards

Nick

I've never really taken too much notice of lunar shots. Think I'll be spending a little more time in this section!

But I'm getting a few results myself which really gives me an understanding of the time and work needed and the difficulty of these shots.

I try not to refer back to my own images when complimenting others, but I have just posted a mosaic that I thought was good...but these are something else again.

It's not just the image scale that does it for me, but the whole package - it's difficult to explain. But the brightness levels are spot on right from the dark to bright area's. Also there is something captivating about the texture of the images.

I suspect that the great texture is something to do with the quality of the original AVI, and the fact that the images do not need to be processed to within an inch of their lives to get a good image - which mine almost always need :)

Cheers

Ant

Archived