NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NEW Rowan AZ100 Alt-Az Mount

FLO

17 minutes ago, johninderby said:

I’ll very shortly be doing a little project to convert an EQ5 Berlebach into an EQ6 for a fraction of the price of a new Berlebach top. Stay tuned. 😎

Will be interesting to see your approach to this. Mine was not that much cheaper than a Berlebach top for the planet, but i do have a lot of flexibility with the altair adaptor.

Three M8 nuts and im back to standard, had to work myself up to drilling the tripod head though

IMGP4017.JPG

The three 28mm columns are studded at the bottom

Edited by omo

21 minutes ago, johninderby said:

I’ll very shortly be doing a little project to convert an EQ5 Berlebach into an EQ6 for a fraction of the price of a new Berlebach top. Stay tuned. 😎

I don’t know, John. Next you’ll be telling us you can fit a Berlebach spreader to an EQ6 metal tripod 

🙂

• Haha 2

I had a custom EQ6 adapter made for a Meade Giant Field tripod a couple of years back. It was very similar to the adapter pictured above. Not a low cost item to have made I found.

Anyway, the AZ100 is the topic of this thread and I'm really looking forward to unpacking it next week and having a play :icon_biggrin:

• Like 2

I've just been thinking - having the 2 Berlebach UNI 28's for a while will make the comparison between my current HEQ5 fitting mounts (Skytee II and Giro Ercole) and the AZ100 much simpler - I can have 2 mounts setup side by side and just switch the scope between them. Thats going to make comparisons easier and quicker than trying to use a single tripod shared between them :icon_biggrin:

• Like 2

On 26/09/2019 at 16:57, FLO said:

Accessory prices are: 

AZ100 Renishaw Encoders : £259

@FLO Steve,
Is the unit able to have the encoders retro-fitted?
If bought first sans encoder, then encoders added at a later time at all?
This would make the expansion route easier for some such as myself.

13 minutes ago, Alan White said:

@FLO Steve,
Is the unit able to have the encoders retro-fitted?
If bought first sans encoder, then encoders added at a later time at all?
This would make the expansion route easier for some such as myself.

I was thinking the same thing. Could afford the encoders now but not the Nexus DSC.Would expect they could be fitted afterwards but would like to know for sure.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, johninderby said:

I was thinking the same thing. Could afford the encoders now but not the Nexus DSC.Would expect they could be fitted afterwards but would like to know for sure.

That's easier option John, as the Nexus DSC and shelf are all add ons, they have made a fixing hole for the ball head.
Adding th encoders will be the possible challenge.

No body parts sold yet 🤣; so for me remains a bit of a one day item, for now.

Personally I'd not use the encoders or the Nexus DSC unit so I hope the mount functions well without them.

I'll find out early next week when the only AZ100 yet in existence (complete with encoders and the Nexus unit) arrives :smiley:

• Like 1

@johninderby You could save around £200 by getting an Argo Navis rather than a Nexus. The saving would be around £70 less if your parcel is chosen by customs to inspected. One of my ANs got away with the import charge but the second back up unit did not... I have both Argo Navis and Nexus DSC in service and in my opinion the Argo is easier to mount due to the supplied bracket which only needs 2 cable ties for an AYO II, or indeed velcro attached to mount or tripod. I think the new Rowan won't be a lot different. The Nexus will require a conversation with Serge as he will make the bracket for you, and supply the tray after you let him know the measurements. At a cost of course! Mind you you DIY skills will probably find a better way if required.

20 minutes ago, Stu said:

Won't the basic Nexus work with the encoders for connection to Skysafari?

Nexus II should work, but would need to check. If you like to find things with a phone or tablet, though its more stuff to charge up before leaving the house.  

53 minutes ago, JG777 said:

Nexus II should work, but would need to check. If you like to find things with a phone or tablet, though its more stuff to charge up before leaving the house.  

I have a Nexus, would think it should work. The website says it works as a wireless DSC and I used to use one with encoders on my 16" Sumerian. I love Skysafari, so this would work well.

14 minutes ago, Stu said:

I have a Nexus, would think it should work. The website says it works as a wireless DSC and I used to use one with encoders on my 16" Sumerian. I love Skysafari, so this would work well.

Yes a choice between Nexus II and Nexus DSC, if you choose the latter and opt to use SS6 via wi fi you have a very expensive black box with a whole lot of redundancy built in, so in that circumstance I agree the II makes a lot of sense..

2 hours ago, John said:

Personally I'd not use the encoders or the Nexus DSC unit so I hope the mount functions well without them.

I'll find out early next week when the only AZ100 yet in existence (complete with encoders and the Nexus unit) arrives :smiley:

If the encoders are fitted you should not notice any difference in use as you are star hopping without them, but encoders do use up some real estate especially as they seem the larger optical type, and they look to be built inside the mount so are protected from  the elements which is a major plus on that side of things, however they will not impede on the mounts function.

So FLO are providing you with a Nexus DSC.. interesting!

Edited by JG777

7 minutes ago, JG777 said:

Yes a choice between Nexus II and Nexus DSC, if you choose the latter and opt to use SS6 via wi fi you have a very expensive black box with a whole lot of redundancy built in, so in that circumstance I agree the II makes a lot of sense..

I see you mentioning the II, I have the one before. Functionality seems to be good enough, do you know what the difference is? All it needs to do is read the encoders and then transmit this over wifi which I think the Neixs should do I think?

45 minutes ago, JG777 said:

...So FLO are providing you with a Nexus DSC.. interesting!

I believe so. I'm expecting this setup when I unpack the packages on Monday. Plus a Berlebach Uni 28 tripod, a power supply and a Losmandy plate to attach the scope that I'll be testing the mount with. What nice people they are :smiley:

image.png.050135bb122fd1bae552a5d962a6dd4b.png

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, John said:

I believe so. I'm expecting this setup when I unpack the packages on Monday. Plus a Berlebach Uni 28 tripod, a power supply and a Losmandy plate to attach the scope that I'll be testing the mount with. What nice people they are :smiley:

Ah but they have good memories and will remember to ask for it back. 😁

• Haha 3