Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I can't feel my legs - 5 hours with the Skyliner 200P

I had delivered today a life changing instrument; the Sky-Watcher Skyliner 200P!

Battling clouds since 2230pm I refused to give in to Mother Nature and this amazing for the price telescope has paid for itself already.

I own and have enjoyed my Explorer 130PS and Startravel 120 but this takes my astronomy to a whole new level.

This morning, even the moon was jaw dropping. Using a 2x barlow and BST 8mm had me orbiting lunar! Amazing, and framed by Hyades even better.

A small hop above the moon, the Plaeides shone magnificently.

Cassiopeia popped through the clouds and, despite viewing this lovely constellation many times, NGC 663, M103 and the Owl Cluster were simply beautiful like never before in the Celestron X-Cel 25mm and BST 15mm. Bigger, brighter and more stars in view.

The 200P took less than an hour to unbox and assemble, is simple to use and takes up much less floor space in the conservatory than a tripod. I'm 6ft so it's a little low for me when viewing high, but I intend to buy a £10 water butt to place the telescope on. My back and neck will be happy.

There's so much more, I could ramble on for hours hah, however it's time to head in after nearly five hours of the best observing I've had between the clouds.  I've no regrets buying the 200P. I just wish I'd acquired one sooner. Highly recommended!

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 15

Great report - I agree that the Skyliner 200Ps are super and versatile scopes.

An adjustable ironing chair can make a decent observing seat. Often found in charity shops for low prices :smiley:

• Like 1

Always good to get a session in straight away with a new scope. Sounds like an excellent one, 5 hours is quite a session.

I was using my 8" dob last night and they are very effective, easy to setup and give very rewarding views. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

• Like 1

Me three- though for only 3 hrs 😉 Nice to think of us all out there separately looking up- connected in some way. Seeing is getting better and better- last night was the best session yet- found loads of new things including first look at Uranus!  Gave up a bit frustrated not finding Hercules cluster but I couldn’t really make out the constellation so was just swinging the scope around in vain not really knowing what I was looking for. 

Sometimes it’s tempting after a few nights of clearish skies to think I’ll not bother- just more of the same, but persistence definitely paid off last night for me 😊

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies. A far from techie review and rather brief. There's plenty of information about this telescope out there already, however I thought I'd throw in an extra titbit.

Considering the intermittent high cloud covering a suburban Bortle 7/8 late summer sky, for me this instrument totally outshone the others I have used here.

Collimation was great out of the box, contrast and brightness were excellent. The Moon at 300x through a barlow was still crisp and easy to track.

I will have to buy larger eye piece than the X-Cel 25mm though for widefield, and maybe a 4-5mm planetary.

The weather here is great right now. Fingers crossed it stays that way so I can check out Jupiter and Saturn this evening to test if the barlow holds up.

• Like 1

Might be seeing condition related but high power on the planets doesn’t really work for me here. I’m finding on my 1625mm fl most pleasing views with a straight 15 or 18mm ep. 10 is ok but 5 (4.8) is an ill-defined mush. 5 on doubles last night seemed to work much better though with the clearer skies, and on moon was still quite pleasing

Neighbour's trees intervened before it was dusky enough to view Jupiter and by the time I worked out how to find a stable view over a 7ft fence and conservatory roof, Saturn was also lost to the trees!

The glass topped, round metal garden table was too high and wobbly. I eventually settled the Dob on a Mk.1 Wooden Dining Chair© mount. I don't think my other half was too impressed and it was too late to rescue the situation.

Later I popped out. The highlight on this occasion, NGC 869 and NGC 884 the Double Cluster. Both framed perfectly in the X-Cel 25mm and viewed individually in a BST 15mm. Just wow...

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 2

I made this sturdy platform for my 10" Dob - puts the eyepiece at a sensible height, and increases my range for viewing (on account of a fence to the south). 

(I used bits of timber from skips and pieces of old flatpack furniture - cost: nothing.)

Doug.

DobReadyApril2019.JPG

Edited by cloudsweeper
  • Like 2

The 200P is a good choice. I usually use that instead of my mak127 for back garden observing as it's quick to set up and gives good views

I didn't think the waterbutt stand booster would be high enough for me, so I pushed the limits of my DIY skills and came up with a folding stand

• Like 2

Thanks for the further replies and advice about the various stands. The water butt holder was £15 and is arriving this week. I'll see how that goes and if it's a fail will try the other suggestions. Cheers. The idea came from Neil English's 200p review:

https://neilenglish.net/test-diving-the-sywatcher-skyliner200p/

• Like 2

Great write up, I went through quite a few scopes and always thought I’d end up with one of these until a C8 came up beforehand.  8” aperture really is a  sweet spot and the ease of use and storage of your 200P must really hit the spot.  Thanks for sharing your experiences!

• Like 1