Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Prom stack - about lost left eye.

MilwaukeeLion

This is 100 stack from AVI today.  So stupid today, I use WL filter to solar system align AVX on sun.  Then remove eye piece / WL filter - insert quark.  Was rushing along forgot to secure WL filter to end of refractor.  Left eye to eye piece focused on sun @ 1000mm - hand on controller centering sun.  All sudden the sun turns into brightest blast of light ever seen and hear a thud on deck.  Jump back realizing what happened checking my vision.  Yep wind blew WL filter right off refractor.  Eye still intact, no spots, no vision issue at all.  Had placed IR cut filter in front of diagonal few minutes earlier, must of been enough to shield me for split second.  IR filter and diagonal are permanently staying in 102.  Light blast was brilliantly bright, do not recommend...

100promstack - Copy.jpg

• Like 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Nice image. For me this is why wedges are safer, I have never forgotten to put the wedge in and there is no danger of it coming adrift and leaving my eye in the "firing line". Scorched the inside of my focuser cap many a time when using front-mounted white light filters.

• Like 1

Nice prom. Sham about the filter! :unsure:

I make my 90mm refractor, Solar foil filters from cut down, strong plastic, bleach bottles.
Which are always a tight fit on the dewshield and almost reach the objective for extra security.
Mind you. I have forgotten to cap the 9x50 finder before now. Even tried to use it briefly. :blush:
So I removed it completely. I should have made a Solar foil filter for that too. So it could be used.

• Like 1

My Thousand Oaks filter came with a couple of Velcro strips attached which attach to ones on the dewshield to keep the filter in place. Could you do something similar to stop it happening again?

• Like 1

I just plain don’t look visually into an eyepiece when viewing the Sun, there is always a camera connected to my laptop and I feel it’s much safer that way. 

Appreciate that’s not an option for everyone but this is a good reminder to all of how easy it is to make a mistake.

I am glad you are ok and the prom is a great image.

Edited by Hughsie
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Anne S said:

My Thousand Oaks filter came with a couple of Velcro strips attached which attach to ones on the dewshield to keep the filter in place. Could you do something similar to stop it happening again?

It has 3 plastic thumb screws to secure it into place, supposed to screw them in.  Made of cardboard and weighs nothing, but if thumb screws are tight wind cant move it.