NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

(Electronic) Calipers and Micrometers?

Macavity

Thus far (40+ years) I have managed most DIY (Astronomy) measuring tasks
with the aid of my late Dad's "German Precision" (manual) vernier calipers! ?

But the lure of the LCD display... the Electronic Gadget beckons somehow? 
Amazon have a whole plethora of (digital) Calipers & Micrometers for sale.

I have a task that might benefit from increased accuracy & precision of
a Micrometer. Wondering about spending around £50 (no more?!?) on:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/DML-Micrometer-External-Electronic-Warranty/dp/B00MR084FY/

Maybe add the matching (naturally rather cheaper?) Calipers as well:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Vernier-Caliper-Stainless-Warranty/dp/B00C20FGJ6/

Not envisaging a LOT of use, but I imagine a fair investment is needed
to avoid total rubbish? Or Maybe I should consider manual versions?  ?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a few of the cheaper ones whitch were fine for occasional use but eventually moved up to Mitutoyo. Proper professional quality that never need zeroing and give the same reading time after time. Not cheap but as the saying goes you get what you pay for. Think of them as the Tak of calipers. 

https://www.hroberts-di.com/calipers-c2/500-196-30-absolute-aos-digimatic-caliper-0-150mm-0-6-p3/s3767?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=mitutoyo-500-196-30-absolute-aos-digimatic-caliper-0-150mm-0-6-quot-calibration-type-none-500-196-30&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxpXG_qSi4QIVbrHtCh06gQaQEAQYASABEgJ3OfD_BwE

BTW lots of cheap fake Mitutoyo on eBay so beware.

I have used that brand (DML) and they are excellent value for money.

It depends how accurately you will be needing to measure things.

They are great for day to day use and unless you need the accuracy of something like the Mitutoyo range then they are a great compromise between quality and price.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/8336451/?grossPrice=Y&cm_mmc=UK-PLA-DS3A-_-google-_-PLA_UK_EN_Test_And_Measurement-_-Linear_Measurement|Calipers-_-PRODUCT_GROUP&matchtype=&aud-358527060186:pla-603828824872&s_kwcid=AL!7457!3!243856879586!!!g!603828824872!&gclid=CjwKCAjwvuzkBRAhEiwA9E3FUn8IxkcKwNLynAKwnJaPMS3F8hk5U-cNKCj9R3mUYH3wzvGVLSMnWhoCOKoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have a cheap pair of calipers similar to the DML and they work fine for what I need which is identifying screw/lens filer sizes etc, to be honest they get more use as an imperial/metric converter when buying electronic parts (cant visualize them mm or cm thingies) :D

Alan

Thanks for the above suggestions (brands etc.) guys! I sense a "good" set of CALIPERS 
would be more useful for most of my needs. I'd like to get proper "collars" made for
matching OTA tubes of my prototype ("machined" MDF!) Solar Franken scope etc. ?

Ah, the joys of Accuracy & Precision... Vernier Scales I can do! If the calipers can help
me distinguish between the size of "random" guitar strings... it will all be a BONUS.
Of course guitar strings are e.g. 0.010 to 0.052 (American) imperial measurement. ?

I have used a few of the cheap (affordable?) electronic display calipers at home and work.
They are cheap enough to leave one in the garage and one in the house.

Not the specific models mentioned the OP. But I have found them to be mostly similar.

Accuracy and repeatability. No issues.

Sometimes they are more thrown together than assembled. If the mechanism is rough, send it back for refund.

Many can turn themselves on if disturbed. It can be a good idea to remove the battery when not in use.

I have one caliper with a plastic (claimed carbon fibre) body.
This has only 0.1mm resolution. But is ideal for masuring batteries without sparks flying.?

David.

I use the Oxford Precision manual vernier that came as part of the "Precision Equipment Set" from my local Cromwell.  I have had no complaints, it is superbly made and easily available at your local Cromwell outlet.  They also do a digital set at around £50, but I can't comment on its quality.  I have no affiliation or association with any of these corporations.

Heheh @johninderby Seems oddly familiar! For those wondering, my new Acoustic Guitar
is strung with (I suspect!) what guitarists call "12's" - The top (plain steel) E-string is 0.012"! ? 
After a long layoff re. playing, looking for some rather lighter gauge string at the moment...

For inveterate "tech heads" e.g. D'Addario Strings detail the tension in individual strings. This
influences the *playability* and TOTAL load (any neck bending!) by the strings on the guitar.
For those interested TOTAL tension in a set of 6 strings of typical gauge is around 150lb!!! ?

We then enter the mystical world of string / overwinding material, influence on sound etc. ?

C0AC30A7-A475-488F-B4FC-29405DFA25B0.jpeg.2727f87f1daafdbf9e7cbc7a0f55f0ae.jpeg.0f120b5f3649aafdb15acc3e11ad2581.jpeg

52 minutes ago, Chriske said:

Always four of these are somewhere to be found in my workshop. Pity they do consume so much (expensive) batteries.
So I did this :

Like it! I need to do something like with my Baader Laser Collimator... By the time my
f/4 Newt gets close to optimum, the LED dims! Plus getting a STACK of three small
mercury cells *each* the right way up can get a tad frustrating! lol. ?

I always keep my collimator tucked away in my pocket during winterobserving.
My laserpointer on the other hand is always heated. Three AA-batteries take care of that.
They're always at 18°C even when freezing out there.
But I think we're offtopic here, sorry about that

28 minutes ago, Chriske said:

But I think we're offtopic here, sorry about that

DIY Mods possibly don't mind too much? (As the OP, I don't anyway)! ?
Indeed, @Merlin66The "better" string manufactures colour code them.
I have not yet investigated the strings installed on the new guitar... So
I was moved to see if I could actually measure the string gauges in situ! 

There is a certain amount of "String Caraziness", but FWIW I'm looking
at from (top bottom) Ernie Ball Rock & Blues 10; 13; 17p; 30; 42; 52's! ? 
(We) Electric Guitarists are WIMPS until their fingers toughen up a bit! 

At latest count "Ernie Ball" make (at least) 10 types of Electric Strings!
(Stainless) Steel... Nickel (Plated) --  Before one starts on the Acoustic...
Overwound Bronze... 80:20 Bronze... Some are now "coated" too! etc. 

For those of a less serious nature, I laughed re. "How to identify a
counterfeit version of above"! Genuine *EB* strings have the Eagle
Logo & legend "Ball's are Best"! Counterfeits forgot the apostrope! ?

Keep on Twan

I am a Spanish guitar player.
Started only 1 year ago(but now that I come to think of it, must be almost 2 years now).
Love the smooth/soft sound of that thing.(my wife too btw).
Is there much difference between string-brands for a particular type of guitar..? Did buy a spare set, had to replace string nr4(D)

Archived