NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi from the Sierra Nevadas in Northern California

jalmada

Hi - I am recently retired from 32 years in aerospace propulsion as a corporate webmaster. I am just now getting back into the hobby after a 30 year hiatus and am reconstructing my two reflectors with the parts I have plus getting a lot of new items. Interested in astrophotography and have plans to build an observatory on my ranch to be operational this summer.

Nice to meet all of you and this looks like a friendly forum for sure!

Jon

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 26/03/2019 at 03:42, Ben the Ignorant said:

A ranch, so no stray light from cities?

It's not too bad - Class 4 - Nice part is in 30 minutes, I can be at class 2 skies if I want darker skies just by heading up Highway 50 into the Sierras since the skies east of me are good. Some light pollution to the southwest from Sacramento. I will use filters at the observatory for astrophotography and it'll be all good. Nice to meet you!

Jon

On 26/03/2019 at 01:35, Waldemar said:

Hi Jon,

Nice to have you on board! And you are right: this is a very friendly and helpfull bunch of fellow hobbyists ?

Nice to meet you Waldemar! I'm glad to be aboard and look forward to sharing my experiences and learning from all of you too! I'm checking out all the threads and picking up a lot of good advice along the way - I liked the international flavor here and seeing what others across the pond are up to ;>)

Jon

On 26/03/2019 at 01:38, SIDO said:

Welcome to SGL Jon, Best of Luck with that Obsy and Clear Skies of course ?

Freddie...

LOL - Just got through a REALLY intense thunderstorm with lightning and the works - I'm hoping for clear skies soon so I can do my Messier Marathon - Nice to meet you Freddie!

On 26/03/2019 at 01:41, SteveNickolls said:

Hi Jon,

Welcome to SGL. Enjoy reconstructing your reflector telescopes and good luck (and dark, clear skies) with the astro-imaging. Folks on SGL are very welcoming and knowledgeable.

Cheers,
Steve

Hey Steve - Nice to meet you and thanks on the greeting and the reconstruction of my scopes - I built a 6 inch F8 and a 4 1/2 inch F4 using Coulter Optical mirrors back then - Managed to get a new Coulter Optical 6 in F8 set, but had to go with Chinese mirrors for the 4 1/2 inch and F5 for the new RFT. Will share my build photos and video here so you guys can see how it goes ;>)

On 26/03/2019 at 03:38, Floater said:

Welcome. Have lots of fun in your retirement. ?

Oh Dear goodness YES on the retirement fun... Easiest thing I've ever done there Floater ;>) After 32 years of daily insanity, I was READY for the good life and my pension - lol... Nice to meet you!

On 26/03/2019 at 04:05, ronl said:

Hello Jon, and a warm welcome to the community, hope you enjoy your time with us,

see you around the forums.

Clear Sky's.

Hey Roni - Absolutely liked the spirit of this place and decided to join up and sure as heck will be all smiles - See you too there my friend! -- Jon in CLOUDY STORMY California ;>)

1 hour ago, cletrac1922 said:

Hi Jon

Welcome from Land Down Under

You travel the universe in this forum

Keep comments about range for another day

John

I like that traveling part - It's a really big universe and I just love looking up and seeing it all... Glad to meet you John!

Archived