NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Quite a lens!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would still have similar issues to other large apertures with cooling to ambient and suffer more during poor seeing than small APO's do.   Though I suppose if you could afford one, you could also afford a suitable observatory and a good location.  ? 

I would have definitely ordered it with a 4 inch or bigger focuser and then commissioned Harry Siebert to custom design some giant eyepieces for it between 60mm and 90mm with 65 to 70 degree AFOV or so.  That would get the power down to between 70x and 110x so it could be used during mediocre seeing conditions and on larger objects.

9 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

It would still have similar issues to other large apertures with cooling to ambient and suffer more during poor seeing than small APO's do.   Though I suppose if you could afford one, you could also afford a suitable observatory and a good location.  ? 

Interesting bit of history on another 20" APO made years ago by Tinsley (and/or a Swiss firm?) for a wealthy Texas Oilman's son in the 50s/60s and then donated to Lowell Observatory in the 60s/70s, used for a time, then displayed in their museum, and now in storage.

30 minutes ago, Carbon Brush said:

Well I was very tempted to click the 'add to basket' button. But at 6.5 metres focal length, I would have to build a new shed.
Then again, with 18-24 months delivery time, I could do it.
Just realised, it is over my credit card limit!

And the price quoted is just for the lens. The best price Ive seen for a fully built up scope based on this lens is a very reasonable €995000. I guess then you’ll actually need some form of custom mount. Don’t think the venerable HEQ5 would carry it. At least not for AP :D

On 03/03/2019 at 00:48, beka said:

But really, why does this product actually exist and why would anyone buy it?

Cheers

As a gift for an ultra-wealthy person's son or daughter who wants to try out astronomy? ?

Archived