Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

TS Optics 102ED FPL51 - Any info/reviews/users?

11 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

Have you pointed TS towards this forum? Their not doing themselves any favours!

Yes, I have. I think that may be why they dropped the whole insurance business and made an offer to repair. I'm sure some people would accept their offer but I'm not happy disassembling a brand new scope, nor do I think they should ask a customer to do so.

The outcome hangs on their next response now, which I doubt will come for at least another 24hrs. If they won't replace or refund then I'll hand it over to Paypal and stop dealing with them.

Thanks to everyone that has supported me on this, I was feeling like I was being too fussy, but I feel better knowing that you all think it's a poor show from TS.

Edited by parallaxerr
  • Like 1

Just to add, I don't think changing focuser is a big deal, but I might not be aware of some issues with that.

I've done it on one of my scopes - ordered "aftermarket" upgrade unit and fitted it without any issues - just unscrewed original and screwed in replacement.

Many people upgraded their focuser also. I don't think they worried too much of what could go wrong with that.

There is issue with lens being knocked out of collimation or something, but as far as I know - refractors are pretty resilient to this. On one occasion, while ordering the scope from above supplier, due to mix up in the post, my scope ended up being sent to completely different country :D It was in transit almost 3 weeks - being sent to Romania first, then returned to Germany, then again sent to me. I was really worried that scope will arrive in bad shape due to that much time spent in rough handling - but to my relief - it was in perfect shape.

I think that you should definitively consider what is the best option for you - what will bring you resolution in easiest way. If you think said scope has potential to serve you well and you don't think it will be too complicated to change focuser - do that, but ask for a guarantee for prompt resolution in case something else is wrong with the scope. If you don't want to bother with it all - go for refund.

2 hours ago, parallaxerr said:

I'm sure some people would accept their offer but I'm not happy disassembling a brand new scope, nor do I think they should ask a customer to do so

For sure I can understand your position. 

As @vlaiv wrote, upgrading a foc is an operation a lot of people choose to do anyway. 

On my side I'd try to look at an opportunity: if you can reach focus, you can star test the scope and, based on this, choose to keep anyway if the optics are really top Class, and agree with them that they provider remote support for the focuser replacement (eventually you could propose to pay half the cost for an upgrade to a feathertouch, if applicabile) 

Else, you insist on a full replacement. 

Fabio

Edited by FaDG

I have no issue changing a focuser, done it plenty of times. It's the faint chance of causing more damage which I would be liable for that is the issue.

However, I am now considering something similar to what Fabio says. Star test the scope tonight and if it's OK, send the focuser back for repair. It is definitely not my preferred outcome but probably the quickest way to resolve the issue.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, parallaxerr said:

I have no issue changing a focuser, done it plenty of times. It's the faint chance of causing more damage which I would be liable for that is the issue.

However, I am now considering something similar to what Fabio says. Star test the scope tonight and if it's OK, send the focuser back for repair. It is definitely not my preferred outcome but probably the quickest way to resolve the issue.

It did not occur to me that you can do that with faulty focuser - its not that faulty that you can't reach focus with it - but you certainly can although movement is rough due to bent shaft. Star testing it as is - is very good idea.

5 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

It did not occur to me that you can do that with faulty focuser - its not that faulty that you can't reach focus with it - but you certainly can although movement is rough due to bent shaft. Star testing it as is - is very good idea.

Yeah, the focuser is rough with tight spots where the shaft is bent, but focus should be achievable. TS sent me focuser adjustment instructions initially when I reported a stiff focuser, before finding the bent shaft. So, I can reduce pressure on the R&P if required.

I have proposed this option to TS now, that I star test and if OK just return the focuser. But, if collimation is bad, I will request a full refund.

At the end of the day, I DO want a 100mm F7 ED scope, so I may as well try this.

Edited by parallaxerr
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, parallaxerr said:

I have proposed this option to TS now, that I star test and if OK just return the focuser.

Most reputable places will just send you a replacement part and tell you to chuck to broken-in-transit part.  Why should you accept a refurbished focuser for a new telescope?  That doesn't make any sense at all. :icon_scratch:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, parallaxerr said:

I have no issue changing a focuser, done it plenty of times.

You might have damaged tube threads or a bent tube due to the impact that bent the focuser shaft.  Until you start disassembly, you simply don't know the extent of the damage.

3 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Most reputable places will just send you a replacement part and tell you to chuck to broken-in-transit part.  Why should you accept a refurbished focuser for a new telescope?  That doesn't make any sense at all. :icon_scratch:

I don't know, there are just so many different angles to look at this - repair the focuser, send a new one, refund the scope etc. etc. I'm actually at a loss now as to what's best to do.

2 minutes ago, Louis D said:

You might have damaged tube threads or a bent tube due to the impact that bent the focuser shaft.  Until you start disassembly, you simply don't know the extent of the damage.

Fortunately the focuser is a simple 3 bolt synta style so not likely.

I really can't understand why they just can't send you another scope and arrange to have the faulty one collected and returned at their cost :icon_scratch:

Thats what a decent dealer would have done as soon as they ascertained what the problem was.

All the inconvenience and delay seems to have fallen on you but it was entirely TS's fault. They packed the scope and they arranged delivery. They really should have "owned" this problem from the start and sorted it at minimal inconvenience to yourself together with an apology.

• Like 4

I couldn't agree more John.

To add further confusion, I've just had another look over the scope and it appears the focuser is misaligned with the adapter ring too. I'm not sure how the two parts are mated together but all of the images show the focuser aligned with the adapter ring with respect to the bottom of the 3 adapter ring screws sitting central to the bottom of the focuser. However, mine is a good way out. It didn't dawn on me at the time, but this will be why the logo on the fixed dew shield was skewiff when I fitted the scope to my mount.

Finally, I also just realised the instructions TS sent me to adjust the focuser are for a completely different focuser.

Radio silence for another 7hrs......I have literally had it with this ordeal. ???

ts-optics-102mm-ed-rpa25-1000.jpg

ts-optics-102mm-ed-rpa25-auszug-1000.jpg

20190227_150930.jpg

20190227_150918.jpg

Edited by parallaxerr

1 hour ago, parallaxerr said:

Right, that's it, I've washed my hands of it. Have raised a claim and Paypal are investigating. I may have let myself in for a longer wait but I just can't put up with TS's ridiculously slow response times and poor service.

Will you still do a star test? I was hoping to read your first impressions ...

9 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Will you still do a star test? I was hoping to read your first impressions ...

I don't think so. Best left in the box and returned asap pending Paypals decision. I have no looks on the scope whatsoever to be honest, be glad to see it gone!

When this is over and you finally recieve a nice 4" frac from a reputable supplierJon, your supplier review should make an informative read around the world! Ive bought small items from TS in the past, but I won't be using them again! I do hope you find time to write one, as it could save others a lot of worry and heartache. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

When this is over and you finally recieve a nice 4" frac from a reputable supplierJon, your supplier review should make an informative read around the world! Ive bought small items from TS in the past, but I won't be using them again! I do hope you find time to write one, as it could save others a lot of worry and heartache. 

I will Mike, including a link to this thread which tells the whole story. I don't like leaving negative reviews and some suppliers have got away with me not leaving them in the past, but TS deserve it in this case.

I have everything crossed that Paypal will come up trumps.

Edited by parallaxerr
  • Like 1

You'd think that with the B word looming and the disproportionate number of astronomers per head of population in the UK they'd make more effort as it will soon be less attractive to purchase from Europe.

Dave

• Like 1

There has never been a cheaper and easier time in all of human history to communicate with one's customers.
Nor has there ever been an easier or cheaper way of bringing attention to businesses which ignore customer's rights and expectations.

Any company which doesn't send a replacement focuser by return of post must be completely uncaring or just plain idiots.
The cost to this company in lost sales must be immeasurable by now!
I have already moved my loyalty away from TS to their cost in many hundreds of Euros.
It is costing me more and the postal delays from the UK are extremely tedious compared with TS's normal [next day but one] service.

Despite being a loyal, long term customer with considerable expenditure in their favour, I am still waiting for a resolution,
a full month after TS received a factory misaligned and rigidly cement locked TS binoviewer for examination.

After sending links to the relevant forum threads they responded overnight but want me to be still more patient!
They claim they have losses due to illness in their staff.  [Presumably the only one with any brains!]

Thank you for suggesting the PayPal resolution service.  This may finally offer a means to get TS' [commercial] attention.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Rusted said:

There has never been a cheaper and easier time in all of human history to communicate with one's customers.
Nor has there ever been an easier or cheaper way of bringing attention to businesses which ignore customer's rights and expectations.

Any company which doesn't send a replacement focuser by return of post must be completely uncaring or just plain idiots.
The cost to this company in lost sales must be immeasurable by now!
I have already moved my loyalty away from TS to their cost in many hundreds of Euros.
It is costing me more and the postal delays from the UK are extremely tedious compared with TS's normal [next day but one] service.

Despite being a loyal, long term customer with considerable expenditure in their favour, I am still waiting for a resolution,
a full month after TS received a factory misaligned and rigidly cement locked TS binoviewer for examination.

After sending links to the relevant forum threads they responded overnight but want me to be still more patient!
They claim they have losses due to illness in their staff.  [Presumably the only one with any brains!]

Thank you for suggesting the PayPal resolution service.  This may finally offer a means to get TS' [commercial] attention.

Sorry to hear you're having problems too Rusted, I could see my case going the same way as yours, which is why I turned to Paypal. TS have not yet responded to the Paypal claim, so watch this space...

It's unfortunate that they're having staffing issues but even if the replies were coming thick and fast, I still don't think the solution they offered is acceptable. Like you say, it's so very easy nowadays to ship/return parts. This is surely pocket change compared to what they turn-over so I see no reason to dispute over the value either.

Edited by parallaxerr
  • Like 1

Jon, I do hope your focuser problem is resolved soon.

Reputations are at stake here which could be very costly for TS.

I could place an order for a new binoviewer elsewhere and then wait for TS. 

But they aren't exactly pocket change. Which leaves me with no binoviewer at all, or two!

The TS is potentially a nice bit of kit, with most of the desirable features, despite my negative review

Would any UK dealer be able , or even willing, to check one over for me before dispatch? I really don't know.

9 minutes ago, Lockie said:

TS used to be really good

This is why I went to them, based on so many good reviews re: service. Unfortunately their form appears to have changed, as you say.

I don't wish for any astro retailer to be in trouble though and it would be a shame for their loyal customers if that were the case....but it won't change the status of my claim!

Edited by parallaxerr
  • Like 2