Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

TS Optics 102ED FPL51 - Any info/reviews/users?

Unbelievably poor packaging! There is no excuse not to use the stiffness of the OTA to reinforce the box.
Think of the box as a fuselage. Not a container. Half circles cut from squares to extend the tube out to the box corners.
Why place the OTA square in the box when the vulnerable focuser knob extension could be safely be housed in a corner on the diagonal of the box
The box could easily be made smaller that way. Smaller box dimensions are self-stiffening planes. 
Less vulnerable to penetration damage or crushing in transit. The packaging designer is working well above his pay grade.

Edited by Rusted

Well apart from the questionable focus action, which I'm hoping can be adjusted out, and the lack of RDF to go on top of the RDF stalk, this scope sits very well on the AZ4 mount.

Sods Law, Article 1, however, decrees that there shall be cloud and rain upon receipt of new telescopes, so no first light this evening.

20190228_193102.jpg

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

Well apart from the questionable focus action, which I'm hoping can be adjusted out, and the lack of RDF to go on top of the RDF stalk, this scope sits very well on the AZ4 mount.

Sods Law, Article 1, however, decrees that there shall be cloud and rain upon receipt of new telescopes, so no first light this evening.

20190228_193102.jpg

It definitely looks "right" on the AZ4 :)

Been thinking about a SW100ED but it may be too long looking at this?

Edited by parallaxerr

3 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

It's got the same cap yours had one the focuser. It's not damaged but the focus action is not what I'd call smooth. By comparison, the WO GT71 r&p is buttery smooth. But then again, I've not experienced any other r&p focusers. This is only my second frac.

2019-02-28 18.19.49.jpg

2019-02-28 18.20.19.jpg

It might seem a silly question Dave, but have you removed the plastic cover from the microfocuser?

• Like 2

I the interest of thread completion, I've just received my refund from TS. No quibbles, to be fair. I was expecting maybe a dispute over the cost of a dovetail because I mounted the scope to inspect, which left a nibble, but no, I got the full refund and without chasing too.

During my search for a suitable alternative scope and reading various reviews, I see this thread found its way onto CN too, resulting in a lost sale or two. Now that it's all resolved I hope TS can sort their staffing issues out and perhaps consider dealing with complaints as a priority over just getting goods out of the door. A difficult balance to strike, I suppose.

• Like 6

Glad you've got it sorted now Jon but it's unfortunate for all involved how it's worked out. Seeing as I purchased a similar scope from a different supplier and have had a similar issue with the focuser I think I should add to this as well.

In contrast to the poor reaction time Jon has experienced from TS, Altair Astro have in my opinion, bent over backwards to address my concerns. I will update on things later, but all going well with couriers, i should have a new replacement scope and RDF sat at home for me this evening. I've actually upgraded to the 102ED-R for the better focuser mainly and the FPL53 glass. Ian at AA has even sent it without me paying the balance first until I've had a chance to look over it and make sure I'm happy. The first scope is being sent back without quibble, fuss, ifs or buts. You cant ask for much more than that really.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

Glad you've got it sorted now Jon but it's unfortunate for all involved how it's worked out. Seeing as I purchased a similar scope from a different supplier and have had a similar issue with the focuser I think I should add to this as well.

In contrast to the poor reaction time Jon has experienced from TS, Altair Astro have in my opinion, bent over backwards to address my concerns. I will update on things later, but all going well with couriers, i should have a new replacement scope and RDF sat at home for me this evening. I've actually upgraded to the 102ED-R for the better focuser mainly and the FPL53 glass. Ian at AA has even sent it without me paying the balance first until I've had a chance to look over it and make sure I'm happy. The first scope is being sent back without quibble, fuss, ifs or buts. You cant ask for much more than that really.

Excellent service from AA there. I actually discussed the issues I experienced with TS with Nick from AA via e-mail, so they're probably very aware now that the packaging spec from the manufacturer may need addressing.

Nick invited me to visit the AA stand at PAS and run through all the scopes with me, which is a nice gesture. I feel the 102ED-R would probably be my choice too, if I go with Altair.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the focuser David, as it is different to the other AA models and the WO ZS103 version.

Edited by parallaxerr

Looking at pictures it looks almost identical the the one on my WO GT71 r&p which I think is excellent. It's as smooth as a crayford, really nice. Also, the 102ED-R appears to allow the drawtube to rotate which is handy for AP. Hopefully I will be able to get hands on later.

• Thanks 1

Well, true to their word, AA pulled it out of the hat!20190305_182714.thumb.jpg.54b83134dd9249b97eba65341d349fd1.jpg

Double boxed for extra protection..

20190305_182826.thumb.jpg.1215dcc125f98f340da94fd8050b4a25.jpg

Most importantly the focuser was nowhere near the sides..

20190305_183207.thumb.jpg.8fbc7dd568767e897c2b4961f024696d.jpg

20190305_183251.thumb.jpg.cc9a48e7c484bf2d9969d2b6cd2416cc.jpg

It feels slightly heavier than the Ascent, though I didn't weigh that one, and front end heavy, though I can move it up the tube rings a little if needed.

20190305_183359.thumb.jpg.4855f5d8bc254c25f73e386898c39e66.jpg

20190305_184830.thumb.jpg.9631693eeb0143d293081146faaf1aca.jpg

The focuser.....is silky smooth! The assembly can be rotated 360° by  loosening the locking screw. This one is definitely made with imaging in mind. It has a concentric locking mechanism for both 1.25" and 2" barrels. The 1.25" has what looks like a notched brass ring on the inside and a few twists of the knurled black ring tightens up things centrally. The 2" works the same but it looks like a nylon compression ring instead of brass. This itself is threaded into an adapter, maybe M68/M72 female to M63 male. The bonus of this is I can also use it on my WO GT71. Without checking with a digital caliper the focus knob/pinion assembly looks identical to my WO also so I'm betting my Deep Sky Dad autofocuser is a straight swap.

20190305_184055.thumb.jpg.27ac2d534b6dcbeda90bd895f1837236.jpg

20190305_184124.thumb.jpg.7281d43107f6dd95898ec29aea715c8c.jpg

20190305_190916.thumb.jpg.27223214fc733ea7841391553712b500.jpg

20190305_190940.thumb.jpg.00ee8bf6df938a99abc6f6623dbedba7.jpg

20190305_192835.thumb.jpg.be6926be4c1773b12cd8446dcc4c5f59.jpg

This one definitely needs a bit more careful consideration when balancing on the AZ4 mount.

20190305_193246.thumb.jpg.c159602386791fb47f96fc12ad039a71.jpg

20190305_193324.thumb.jpg.16dd4f9cc84e91b394a8cb30e3001a9a.jpg

With a red dot finder and 2" diagonal its weighing in at 4.6kg. I only have BST 1.25" eyepieces so it should never tip over 5kg. Bare OTA, rings and dovetail are almost Bob on 4kg. The tape measure is positioned correctly despite how the pictures look. With dew shield deployed its around 70cm from shield to closed focuser and with shield retracted its st around 58cm. The focuser has around 94mm travel. The dew shield itself has no locking screw. It simply slides up the tube and back again when needed. It's not loose but it's not overly resistant either. It does have what looks like 3 grub screws on its inner edge. Perhaps they can lock it in place should the need arise? A snug fitting dew strap would probably suffice also.

So far, I'm very happy with it. Looks and feels well put together and the focuser is just how I was expecting. Obviously, it's the views that ultimately matter. Rain tonight so no first light yet. I was pleased with the Ascent's visual performance for the brief 10 minutes gap in the clouds I got. It had a little colour on Sirius and Rigel but that was expected. It didn't put me off that scope at all, it was the focuser issue. This with the FPL53 lens should only improve on those views.

Altairs approach and response to this, for me, has been exemplary. They really deserve a feather in the cap. Many thanks Ian at AA!

• Like 8

That looks the business David. It's going to be hard to ignore this on Saturday @ PAS as it has some features that stand out above the considerably more expensive Vixen that I'm considering. Notably the twist lock fittings vs the Vixens reportedly poor thumbscrews (without compression rings!) and the dual speed focuser.

I notice you have ser. no. 0006 there and 0001 is up for sale on UKABS apparently a few years old. My point is that it appears AA don't sell many of these at all, probably why it's so hard to find reviews.

I hope it performs under the stars. If there's any chance of first light before the weekend, please do report back ?

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, parallaxerr said:

That looks the business David. It's going to be hard to ignore this on Saturday @ PAS as it has some features that stand out above the considerably more expensive Vixen that I'm considering. Notably the twist lock fittings vs the Vixens reportedly poor thumbscrews (without compression rings!) and the dual speed focuser.

I notice you have ser. no. 0006 there and 0001 is up for sale on UKABS apparently a few years old. My point is that it appears AA don't sell many of these at all, probably why it's so hard to find reviews.

I hope it performs under the stars. If there's any chance of first light before the weekend, please do report back ?

Will do Jon. I'm not sure exactly what the serial number relates to. The Ascent I had was 0002 iirc and the plastic bag over the scope had 2 felt tipped on it. The same with this one. The plastic bag had 6 felt tipped on it. I find it hard to believe this is the 6th one made since 2017 when this line was released? Perhaps a batch or revision number?

5 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

Will do Jon. I'm not sure exactly what the serial number relates to. The Ascent I had was 0002 iirc and the plastic bag over the scope had 2 felt tipped on it. The same with this one. The plastic bag had 6 felt tipped on it. I find it hard to believe this is the 6th one made since 2017 when this line was released? Perhaps a batch or revision number?

That looks like a great refractor David. Colour around Sirius wouldn't phase me in the slightest, so I doubt there's anything sinister there! With regard to the serial number, it could simply be the number within the batch produced in any given year, so there may be a 0006 appear elsewhere down the line that was made in a different year. Then again, it could genuinely be the 6th in the entire production run, and AA just happened to receive it in their order. Doesn't really matter! My buddy paulastro once bought a TAK FC100DL F9 that had F7.4 engraved on the lens cell. It still worked like a dream! Looking at your refractor makes me want one, but I've no idea how I'd smuggle it past the furore!! :ph34r:

This thread has gone off in a different direction now, I know, but seeing as you've asked Jon @parallaxerr

Managed a first light last night at midnight! The 102ED-R is a keeper! Pin sharp stars, great focuser (the rotatable focuser is really handy for turning the RDF into a comfortable position) and the AZ4 handled it with ease. No vibrations when moving the scope by hand with a 5mm eyepiece. Had a look at Castor which split really nicely. No false colour that I could make out either. Had a quick look at Vega but it was still too low for me at 1am and not pin sharp, but no noticeable CA either! I am very pleased indeed! ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

This thread has gone off in a different direction now, I know, but seeing as you've asked Jon @parallaxerr

Managed a first light last night at midnight! The 102ED-R is a keeper! Pin sharp stars, great focuser (the rotatable focuser is really handy for turning the RDF into a comfortable position) and the AZ4 handled it with ease. No vibrations when moving the scope by hand with a 5mm eyepiece. Had a look at Castor which split really nicely. No false colour that I could make out either. Had a quick look at Vega but it was still too low for me at 1am and not pin sharp, but no noticeable CA either! I am very pleased indeed! ?

Sounds good David, turned out nicely :) I have my name against an ex-demo Vixen ED103S but it's got to be perfect for me to take it, otherwise I'll be straight to see the guys at Altair Astro!

• Like 1

On 15/02/2019 at 19:14, Louis D said:

I have the original FPL-51 version of the AT72ED, and I only see purple fringing up around 125x on bright stars.  I don't see it on the moon or planets at sub-100x powers.  It looks pin sharp and color free at low powers when scanning star fields, which is the main thing I use it for.  I haven't tried looking for color fringing on high contrast daytime targets like dark tree limbs against the bright sky.

I have a Kson 102 f/6 FPL ED scope. Even at f/6 chromatic aberration is quite well controlled. Seen my best views of a Jupiter shadow transit with it. It’s also really light and compact. An excellent travel scope.

now gets a little less use because of my TS Optics 90mm triplet.

• 10 months later...
On 27/02/2019 at 16:27, parallaxerr said:

I couldn't agree more John.

To add further confusion, I've just had another look over the scope and it appears the focuser is misaligned with the adapter ring too. I'm not sure how the two parts are mated together but all of the images show the focuser aligned with the adapter ring with respect to the bottom of the 3 adapter ring screws sitting central to the bottom of the focuser. However, mine is a good way out. It didn't dawn on me at the time, but this will be why the logo on the fixed dew shield was skewiff when I fitted the scope to my mount.

Finally, I also just realised the instructions TS sent me to adjust the focuser are for a completely different focuser.

Radio silence for another 7hrs......I have literally had it with this ordeal. ???

ts-optics-102mm-ed-rpa25-1000.jpg

ts-optics-102mm-ed-rpa25-auszug-1000.jpg

20190227_150930.jpg

20190227_150918.jpg

I apologies for resurrecting this old thread, but since it is a related issue I figured it was better to continue this one, than starting another.

I just received the TS 102, and the focuser had made a dent in the packaging just as you experienced. However, because I ordered a few other things as well in the same order, the scope was in a box that was in a another box, and there where lots of foam in between. The focuser cap was intact, and the focuser actually feels quite good. I havent tested it alot though. 

My question is about the misalignment of the screws: mine are just like that as well. Does that have to be a problem? Or is it just something that happens when the scope is put together? I hoping to test it properly tonight, but I am still a rookie in this hobby, and I fear I might miss a defect simply by beeing to unexperienced..