Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

TS Optics 102ED FPL51 - Any info/reviews/users?

35 minutes ago, parallaxerr said:

Sadly gents, there will be no grand unveiling this time, the scope is back in the box to be returned.

My immeasurably bad internet ordering luck has struck once again. I ran the focuser in and out and it was rough as toast. Further investigation highlighted damage to the inside of the box, a cracked focus wheel cover and ultimately a bent focuser shaft.

The external box is un-marked, so this must have happened before dispatch.

That's why I'm hesitant to buy big tickets items from Europe.  I'm not sure how to get duties reimbursed from the US treasury on returns or if it's worth the time and effort involved.  Anything under $800 is duty free, so eyepieces, small mounts, and small scopes are not an issue.  With Brexit, I would hope Britain reciprocates the $800 duty free limit with the US.  That, and drop VAT on US imports since most US states don't enforce sales tax on imports.

1 minute ago, david_taurus83 said:

Wounded Jon! I really hope it goes against the grain of TS's service as I really still want one myself. Are you getting a replacement or has this put you off?

It has very much put me off because I pondered the outlay for so long. I must say I've had terrible luck ordering aster goods online, I'd estimate I've had to accept fault or damage with, or return at least 50% in the last 12 months.

• Sad 1

What do we think chaps, am I being too sensitive. Here's some pics of the inside of the box and the focuser knob cover, definitely taken a knock. You can see the throw in the knobs ion the video, is it too much? Do I just attempt adjustment/repair? Turn the volume up on the video and you can hear the gears meshing, feels like driving over a cattle grid.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AhWKj4BCIWqOjCJQkW497pyI8ZR8

20190222_140151.thumb.jpg.66eafe564283c3e9cdc9fa5d0fad7b4b.jpg20190222_140120.thumb.jpg.ede2733e1c27eb59537c618b0a7720c1.jpg

Edited by parallaxerr

I would send it back Jon. It's not like theres a screw loose that can be simply tightened. Damage of any kind shouldn't be accepted. £££ spent so should be as expected. I'd return it and send them a link to this thread to show that the eyes of SGL are observing and judging their customer service accordingly!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, parallaxerr said:

Yes, agreed David. Another string of e-mails, re-packaging, arranging collection etc.....sigh.

Excuse my mood chaps, this is becoming the norm for me!

I would send it back definitely, if something is bent in the focuser then it will never be right unless properly returned.

I have bought quite a few times from TS and never had a problem, so hopefully this is an exception. Their after sales service has always been good for me too.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, parallaxerr said:

What do we think chaps, am I being too sensitive. Here's some pics of the inside of the box and the focuser knob cover, definitely taken a knock. You can see the throw in the knobs ion the video, is it too much? Do I just attempt adjustment/repair? Turn the volume up on the video and you can hear the gears meshing, feels like driving over a cattle grid.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AhWKj4BCIWqOjCJQkW497pyI8ZR8

20190222_140151.thumb.jpg.66eafe564283c3e9cdc9fa5d0fad7b4b.jpg20190222_140120.thumb.jpg.ede2733e1c27eb59537c618b0a7720c1.jpg

100% send it back. 

Totally understand you being frustrated and Pee'd off, I would be too. TS has a decent rep with CS though, so really may be a one off. That doesn't help you right now though. I would certainly no question at all return it.

If you do return it and decide to get a refund Jon, you might consider if possible, attending the Practical Astronomy event in Kettering on the 9th March. There are quite a few vendors displaying their wares and you could possibly pick up a 4" at a discount. I dare say you'll have chance to meet a few unsavoury characters there too!

2 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

If you do return it and decide to get a refund Jon, you might consider if possible, attending the Practical Astronomy event in Kettering on the 9th March. There are quite a few vendors displaying their wares and you could possibly pick up a 4" at a discount. I dare say you'll have chance to meet a few unsavoury characters there too!

This was my plan originally Mike, but impatience got the best of me. How ironic then that it will most likely be so much closer to March 9th before I'm able to make another purchase, after waiting for return postage and refund etc!

Edited by parallaxerr
  • Like 1

Well to keep my spirits up, I just stripped an re-greased the AZ4 I bought to carry the 102. I used high quality Castrol grease and it's lovely now. A quick test outdoors and I could move the mount with one finger, keeping a star in the field of view, through the 80mm at max mag x170 :)

20190222_190159.jpg

20190222_190152.jpg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, heliumstar said:

If all is well with the scope otherwise why not just arrange for them to send you a new focuser?

Then the owner has to fit it, check that the optical axis lines up with the objective, and adjust the focuser tension to suit. If all is not well with the scope then, the supplier can always point the finger at the focuser not quite being installed correctly.

I think it is better to allow the suppler to supply a complete new unit and take responsibility for the overall quality and operation of what is supplied.

• Like 3

@parallaxerr

Have you had a response from TS Jon? I cant decide what to do myself now! Thinking is it better to order from a UK supplier? If so is the Starwave the one to go for? I got fed up of no observing last night so stripped my imaging gear down to use the WO 71. Ironic how it fogged up outside last night, just like my indecision of which scope to buy!

3 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

@parallaxerr

Have you had a response from TS Jon? I cant decide what to do myself now! Thinking is it better to order from a UK supplier? If so is the Starwave the one to go for? I got fed up of no observing last night so stripped my imaging gear down to use the WO 71. Ironic how it fogged up outside last night, just like my indecision of which scope to buy!

No, I haven't had a response yet which I find surprising. I just got home from a night away so will telephone them shortly. I just called and unfortunately their system only allows you to hold for ONE MINUTE, before saying "please try again later or try e-mailing us", before hanging up!

Looks like I'll have to wait for an e-mail response.

By the time I've returned it and got a refund we'll be close to the PAS on 9th March, so I may see if I can pick up an Altair Astro Ascent 102ED there.

Edited by parallaxerr

1 hour ago, david_taurus83 said:

I've stopped dithering and ordered the AA Starwave 102ED F7. Ive managed to scrimp together enough funds from recent sales. Oh, and an AZ4!

Wish I had done now. Still no response from TS, tried a dozen times on the phone.

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, parallaxerr said:

Wish I had done now. Still no response from TS, tried a dozen times on the phone.

It'll probably get sorted without issues but it still leaves you out of pocket in the short term. Youd think with the weight of a large astronomy forum in your corner they would be quick to sort this out to spare at least some of their reputation.

2 hours ago, parallaxerr said:

If you can't get a response from them after a week, open a credit card dispute to reverse the charge.  That always gets an intransigent retailer's attention in a hurry.

• Like 1