SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

TS Optics 102ED FPL51 - Any info/reviews/users?

I've not had either of these mounts, but have had many manual alt az mounts and even when they have had slo mo controls I invariably move the scope rather than use the slo mos. To me, having to constantly adjust two controls is a pain, and very fiddly, especially if they are awkward to get at. I think the one exception to this is the T-Rex which Gavin has. Nice long floppy control rods and very easy to use.

12 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Jon you could wait and go to the Practical Astro Show in Kettering on the 9th March - AA are one of the sponsors. You could ask them to bring along the scope to have a good look plus ask questions. You may even get a show discount.

Now that is a good call Mark. I think I'll put a leave pass in with SWMBO.

Thanks for the advice on the alt az mounts. Looks like the AZ4 is the one to go for. The steel tripod is a no brainer. Just need to stretch my own budget now. Seems 100mm F7 is the the one to go for. I messaged AA yesterday to see if they can confirm the type of glass used in the Starwave 102ED

• Like 1

1 hour ago, david_taurus83 said:

Thanks for the advice on the alt az mounts. Looks like the AZ4 is the one to go for. The steel tripod is a no brainer. Just need to stretch my own budget now. Seems 100mm F7 is the the one to go for. I messaged AA yesterday to see if they can confirm the type of glass used in the Starwave 102ED

Are you interested in the ED102 Ascent model or the ED102-R ? - the latter states FPL-53 in the blurb.

I just took delivery of the AZ4 and I must say, I am rather pleasantly suprised with it. Despite them being so popular I've never seen one before and I was expecting a little "less".

It's quite a bit heavier than I was expecting and infact, hoping. Nevertheless it's about the minimum I'll get away with for my scope of choice. The axes need regreasing straight away as they seem to have a high static friction, but once past that they're nice and smooth.

I think this will easily swallow the current 80mm F7.5 achro and I can sort of see now how some users claim to be happy with an AZ4 right up to ED120's or 150 Maks. BUT, I'm not going to overdo the scope, one thing I've learned is that focusing vibration drives frustration in me.

• Like 2

I really liked the AZ-4 that I had but even on a 2 inch steel tubed tripod (CG5) the ED120 was too much for the mount apart from low to medium magnifications. Funny how mounts have a sort of watershed loading in terms of tube length and weight - just tip over that and things just don't seem so stable any more. I could see a 150 mak-cassegain being find on the AZ-4 though - short tube.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rhw1967 said:

Did anyone that contacted AA about the Ascent 102ED F7 get any info back at all ? 

Nope. No response though I do seem to remember a thread a while back where someone was struggling to get hold of them. If RVO stock them might get an answer off Adam?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

Nope. No response though I do seem to remember a thread a while back where someone was struggling to get hold of them. If RVO stock them might get an answer off Adam?

RVO stock the f11 version I think, and Adam from RVO is always very quick to answer an enquiry. I sent a message to AA on Friday, still nothing back from them. Adam's comment about the F11 is he felt Skywatcher offered better optics in their 100ED (closest match he could give for the price) and also he felt SW's service was better than AA's. He said they didn't hold them in stock, and any orders made he would then order from AA. As I said, this was all about the ED102 f11 though, nothing about the f7. 

Will keep looking for info about the 102ED f7 as I quite fancy them :) 

13 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

Yes! So do I! I'm trying to find a good all rounder as well. I'm selling my 200p as it's hardly grab 'n go and the 420mm length WO I use for imaging is a bit lacking for visual. So around 700mm focal length I reckon is about right and I want no bigger than an AZ4 mount!

I actually just got a reply from Ian Knight at AA. He didn't answer the question about the type of glass, but did answer my other two questions.. Was it in stock now ? ("Yes").. and Does it come with a case ("NO, but you can buy one of our soft cases").

I have messaged back repeating my question about the glass, will post if I get a reply.

Isn't it odd. I asked about the glass in the Stellarvue on ABS and the buyer went quiet. There's nothing wrong with FPL51, buyers just like to know.

Anyway, I've been poring over the photos of the AA Ascent and TS ED102 and I'll eat my hat if they're not the same scope. TS openly state FPL51.

I think I actually prefer the TS livery too and there's only a few £ difference including postage, so TS is topping my list now.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, parallaxerr said:

Isn't it odd. I asked about the glass in the Stellarvue on ABS and the buyer went quiet. There's nothing wrong with FPL51, buyers just like to know.

Anyway, I've been poring over the photos of the AA Ascent and TS ED102 and I'll eat my hat if they're not the same scope. TS openly state FPL51.

I think I actually prefer the TS livery too and there's only a few £ difference including postage, so TS is topping my list now.

You can generally assume FPL-51 or equivalent if the glass type is not stated.  Pretty much every company trumpets when they use FPL-53 or equivalent, so the lack of any commotion generally points to FPL-51.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, parallaxerr said:

Just looked at what you said, and absolutely, they look exactly the same apart from the livery as you say. TS actually a wee bit cheaper.

Just got a reply to my second mail to AA, he again avoided the question of which glass was used, but answered the question of a case I could buy... hahaha.. so that's twice that question has been ignored.. and just like you said,it's not a massive issue at all if FPL51 is used, I am assuming that it is, but it narks me a bit that they don't say, even when I asked directly twice. The TS has now topped my list.

Am assuming the Stellarview 102ED that was for sale in ABS wasn't preferred as people like new ? Saw some great reviews about it too. 

3 minutes ago, rhw1967 said:

Am assuming the Stellarview 102ED that was for sale in ABS wasn't preferred as people like new ?

It's still for sale @ £600. Personally, despite it having a Feathertouch focuser, I think it's too expensive for a 10yr old scope, when a new TS can be had for less.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, parallaxerr said:

It's still for sale @ £600. Personally, despite it having a Feathertouch focuser, I think it's too expensive for a 10yr old scope, when a new TS can be had for less.

Yes, that makes sense, as you point out it's a ten year old scope.. looking at Astroshop EU now at the TS.. :) 

3 minutes ago, rhw1967 said:

Yes, that makes sense, as you point out it's a ten year old scope.. looking at Astroshop EU now at the TS.. :) 

Are you looking at this one? https://www.astroshop.eu/telescopes/ts-optics-apochromatic-refractor-ap-102-714-ed-ota/p,51026

I think this is different to the AA version, seems to be an older spec and I've seen it that price in a few places.

Here's the TS version that is identical to the AA...

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p4964_TS-Optics-ED-102mm-f-7-Refractor-Telescope-with-2-5--R-P-focuser.html

1 minute ago, parallaxerr said:

Are you looking at this one? https://www.astroshop.eu/telescopes/ts-optics-apochromatic-refractor-ap-102-714-ed-ota/p,51026

I think this is different to the AA version, seems to be an older spec and I've seen it that price in a few places.

Here's the TS version that is identical to the AA...

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p4964_TS-Optics-ED-102mm-f-7-Refractor-Telescope-with-2-5--R-P-focuser.html

I was, yes, thank you for that. Would have cried if I'd have ordered the wrong thing :)

Now looking at the right thing... much appreciated :) 

11 minutes ago, parallaxerr said:

I'm so close to pulling the trigger, but I can't for the life of me find Paypals exchange rate. Plus they apparently charge a 2.5% exchange fee ?

Just looked at today's exchange rate, however not finding anything for PP. Even when I go to the pay screen it's showing all in Euros, and yes they charge 2.5% fee.

OK, so to get the real cost of buying the TS I had to go nearly all the way through paypal checkout ?. It comes to £582.15, including UK delivery. Quite a bit more than an online conversion suggests.

Edited by parallaxerr

3 minutes ago, parallaxerr said:

OK, so to get the real cost of buying the TS I had to go nearly all the way through paypal checkout ?. It comes to £582.15. Quite a bit more than an online conversion suggests.

Right, so yes, it is.. The AA including postage with no extras is £555.