Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

TS Optics 102ED FPL51 - Any info/reviews/users?

6 hours ago, rhw1967 said:
6 hours ago, parallaxerr said:

It's still for sale @ £600. Personally, despite it having a Feathertouch focuser, I think it's too expensive for a 10yr old scope, when a new TS can be had for less.

I think the point here is the focuser is top quality around £450 so a total of £600 including the scope is still a fair price for the quality no mater how old I paid over three times that for a 25 year old scope so age is no guide to quality having owned several of AA scopes including a TS 130 APO with 3.5 inch  focuser there focuses are not on the same park as the feather touch and there’s a lot to be said of a quality focuser on a 4 inch at high mag just my pennies worth I know where I’d put my money 

Edited by garryblueboy
  • Like 1

On 18/02/2019 at 12:47, parallaxerr said:

I just took delivery of the AZ4 and I must say, I am rather pleasantly suprised with it. Despite them being so popular I've never seen one before and I was expecting a little "less".

It's quite a bit heavier than I was expecting and infact, hoping. Nevertheless it's about the minimum I'll get away with for my scope of choice. The axes need regreasing straight away as they seem to have a high static friction, but once past that they're nice and smooth.

I think this will easily swallow the current 80mm F7.5 achro and I can sort of see now how some users claim to be happy with an AZ4 right up to ED120's or 150 Maks. BUT, I'm not going to overdo the scope, one thing I've learned is that focusing vibration drives frustration in me.

Once dismantled by removing the tension knobs, there's usually enough grease on the inside of the mount to lubricate the surfaces. It's just poorly applied in the factory. I've reapplied the grease on several AZ4 mounts and they've always benefited. With the tension set just right on my AZ4, I've been able to observe Mars using my 100mm refractor and a 2.5mm Vixen LV eyepiece at X296 with the touch of a finger. It's not ideal at that magnification but it can be done.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, garryblueboy said:

Actually Garry, I spoke to quite a few people and googled around, etc, etc, and agree with you. So instead of going down the new AA route have contacted the guy and it's being held for me until I return home on Thursday when I am going to buy it. Guy sent me tons of pictures, and I think the focuser included decided it for me. Spoke to the seller at length too. So am happy with my decision :)

Going to be an expensive weekend.. getting the Stellarview and an AZ4 mount for myself, and an ED100 for my nephew . Now, how to hide all that from the Missus :D 

• Like 2

Just now, rhw1967 said:

Actually Garry, I spoke to quite a few people and googled around, etc, etc, and agree with you. So instead of going down the new AA route have contacted the guy and it's being held for me until I return home on Thursday when I am going to buy it. Guy sent me tons of pictures, and I think the focuser included decided it for me. Spoke to the seller at length too. So am happy with my decision :)

Going to be an expensive weekend.. getting the Stellarview and an AZ4 mount for myself, and an ED100 for my nephew . Now, how to hide all that from the Missus :D 

A wise decision I’ve met Richard he’s a genuine guy and that scope in my opinion is the best value all round I don’t bother hiding I just suffer the looks and do you really need another scope good luck with 102 I’m sure you will be pleased and happy you chose it the focuser is the best part of the deal they are the best over priced but the Televue of Focusers ??

• Like 1

1 minute ago, garryblueboy said:

A wise decision I’ve met Richard he’s a genuine guy and that scope in my opinion is the best value all round I don’t bother hiding I just suffer the looks and do you really need another scope good luck with 102 I’m sure you will be pleased and happy you chose it the focuser is the best part of the deal they are the best over priced but the Televue of Focusers ??

Rich does indeed seem a super nice guy, and he gave me loads of advice, etc. Can't wait to get it now. Going to be used as a grab and go with the AZ4 when I travel around :) 

My Missus purchased a special edition Mont Blanc pen (with special edition case :( ) the other week, and all she does with it is crosswords. So if she says a word about "another scope" I think I may have to remind her about her expensive crossword habit.. hahahaha.

Thanks for the encouraging words bud :) 

9 hours ago, rhw1967 said:

Good luck with the scope, that's 2 you've had out from under my nose this week! Was just about to PM Emad about the 100ED when you pipped me and now this!

Haha never mind, I'd decided against the SV anyway because I prefer new and a Feathertouch can always be added later.

Edited by parallaxerr
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, parallaxerr said:

G ood luck with the scope, that's 2 you've had out from under my nose this week! Was just about to PM Emad about the 100ED when you pipped me and now this!

Haha never mind, I'd decided against the SV anyway because I prefer new and a Feathertouch can always be added later.

Sorry, just when you see a good deal you have to snap it up I think. Lost out on some great deals on EPs as I delayed or thought too long :(

Sent you a PM

But thanks for the nice words. It was a close call but having spoke to the seller of the SV at length and done a bit of research I felt it was right for me.

Edited by rhw1967

36 minutes ago, rhw1967 said:

Sorry, just when you see a good deal you have to snap it up I think. Lost out on some great deals on EPs as I delayed or thought too long :(

Sent you a PM

But thanks for the nice words. It was a close call but having spoke to the seller of the SV at length and done a bit of research I felt it was right for me.

Don't apologise, it was a tongue in cheek comment! I know if I'd have really wanted the SV I would have pulled the trigger sooner, but like I say, I'm going to go for a new scope.

Maybe one day we'll get to compare the SV and whatever I buy, side by side :)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, parallaxerr said:

Don't apologise, it was a tongue in cheek comment! I know if I'd have really wanted the SV I would have pulled the trigger sooner, but like I say, I'm going to go for a new scope.

Maybe one day we'll get to compare the SV and whatever I buy, side by side :)

I know you were kidding around bud. But it did make me feel bad, for a fee seconds anyway ?

Yep would be cool to do a comparison. You'll have to post pics of your new scope when you get it.

Any clue as to what you are going for ?

As a side note, I came accross the Stellarvue Access 102 whilst researching, which looks identical to the TS Optics Photoline ED102. Despite looking identical externally, note the detail on the focusers etc, they are listed with different glass types, FCD-100 & FPL53 respectively.

https://www.stellarvue.com/stellarvue-sv102-access-ed-apo-refractor-telescope/

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p9868_TS-Optics-PhotoLine-102mm-f-7-FPL-53-Doublet-Apo-with-2-5--Focuser.html

Goes to show that external features do not guarantee the same lens cell, so I will try to get an answer out of Altair Astro re: the Ascent 102ED glass type before buying.

Edited by parallaxerr
  • Like 1

Twice with the Ascent 102ED the guy from AA, Ian, has avoided direct questions from me about the glass. He just ignored the question so, as others have said, would assume it's FPL51

Edited by rhw1967

2 minutes ago, rhw1967 said:

Twice with the Ascent 102ED the guy has avoided direct questions from me about the glass. He just ignored the question so, as others have said, would assume it's FPL51

Well I'm going to phone them in a bit, could well be FCD-100, who knows. Avoiding the question sends out mixed messages though.

It really doesn't matter I suppose, provided the views are good, just nice to know.

Edited by parallaxerr
  • Like 1

Just now, david_taurus83 said:

I've had no response to my email either. Because of that, I'd be inclined to buy the TS scope. Not because of glass type, but the lack of clear information and question dodging! Poor customer service imo

This, combined with a poor experience with AA late last year is making me lean towards the TS too. Co-incidently, the issue I had with them last year was a technical point that was incorrectly specified.

• Like 2

Adam from RVO did say he felt other companies offered better CS than AA and this would seem to back it up .... Thing is when I asked this Ian about other things he answered right away, but mention the glass and it's like I never mentioned it... Haha

So would tend to agree with you guys, as mentioned though be aware with the TS the exchange rate costs the scope about 30 quid more expensive and the 2.5% exchange rate if paying by PP... Ok not a lot, but still.

Such bad practice for AA not to communicate with their customers. How are customers supposed to feel re assured to buy from them? Such a shame as their scopes look good. 

I too would look elsewhere. It's a shame they hurt their own sales, but maybe they sell so many they don't have to worry about good coms? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, parallaxerr said:

Well I'm going to phone them in a bit, could well be FCD-100, who knows. Avoiding the question sends out mixed messages though.

It really doesn't matter I suppose, provided the views are good, just nice to know.

Totally. It's not a massive deal at this price point providing, like you say, the views are good. It's frustrating that they want to avoid the question.

Let us know what they say in your call. Have noticed some other retailers now selling it (Harrison's, Grover's)

37 minutes ago, parallaxerr said:

FCD-100 is pretty close to FPL-53 in terms of it's specs. FCD-1 is pretty much the same as FPL-53. I believe the FCD glasses are by Hoya while the FPL's are Ohara glasses.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, there is quite a price difference in the cost of the glass blanks between these types which is usually reflected in the cost of the scope. The last figures that I saw (2017) showed FPL-51 costing 11x as much as Schott BK-7 crown glass and FPL-53 18x as much as BK-7. I reckon there is a similar difference with FCD-100 and FCD-1. Such cost differences will have to find their way into the retail price I would think.

What annoys some manufacturers and retailers I think is that all the talk is of the glass type in the ED element but the mating element(s) glass type, the figure and polish of the optical surfaces, the coatings used and the objective cell design and quality all contribute significantly to the end performance of the objective and yet are rarely discussed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, John said:

What annoys some manufacturers and retailers I think is that all the talk is of the glass type in the ED element but the mating element(s) glass type, the figure and polish of the optical surfaces, the coatings used and the objective cell design and quality all contribute significantly to the end performance of the objective and yet are rarely discussed.

Actually, I agree John. Yet I have become one of those galss type talkers. I shall desist, not least because the chances are I wouldn't notice the difference with my level of experience. I'm sure all of the scopes discussed here are equal to within a very small margin.

23 minutes ago, parallaxerr said:

The talk stops here....job done. @mikeDnight, break out the cigars!

order.jpg

Well done Jon, its an excellent choice!  It didnt occur to me when i mentioned breaking out the cigars, that i dont smoke and don't have any cigars! Will a bottle of 12 year old Scotch do instead?

I'm looking forward to the family pic's when the new baby arrives! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, John said:

Yes, I can imagine it does. And really didn't want to dwell on it, just asked them a simple question amongst others about the telescope as, if I'm parting with my hard earned cash, I like to know what I am getting. Nobody here seemed to know as it's a new range just come out, no reviews around, . As a and lots of Googling didn't yield any results, so was curious. As a potential customer that has never used AA before it would have been nice to know.

4 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Well done Jon, its an excellent choice!  It didnt occur to me when i mentioned breaking out the cigars, that i dont smoke and don't have any cigars! Will a bottle of 12 year old Scotch do instead? 

I'm looking forward to the family pic's when the new baby arrives! :thumbsup:

Come to think of it, neither do I , nor do I drink Scotch! I'll settle for the thumbs up!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1