Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Was "Oumuamua" An Alien Space Probe?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard multiple theories, and one that makes "most sense" to me is that it may be spaceship wreck rather than actual space probe.

Maybe battle wreckage from a long long time ago (and galaxy far far away? :D , no just couple star systems away) that has been drifting abandoned.

This is if it's of "artificial" origin, of course - much more plausible explanations can be found in natural phenomena.

Wishful thinking but a good idea to hollow out an asteroid and use as a space ship, save carting all those building materials into space and comes with a pretty tough outer skin.

Doesn't need to be that streamlined shape to travel through space does it ?

I seem to recall something similar being proposed in an Eagle comic many many years ago, mind they also said we'd all be driving flying cars by now and holidaying on the Moon :grin:

Dave

The Der Spiegel article quotes 3 "reasons" why it might be ET.

- It came from outside the solar system -  (so what?)

- It is not spherical - ( must all rocks/ asteroids/ comets be spherical? )

The third is more interesting. It refers to a paper in Nature which says that the orbit was significantly non-gravitational.

Here is a link to an abstract of the paper.  https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-018-0254-4

As I read it , the paper concludes that the non-gravitational aspects of the orbit were consistent with comet-type outgassing.

I rest my case.

10 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Wishful thinking but a good idea to hollow out an asteroid and use as a space ship, save carting all those building materials into space and comes with a pretty tough outer skin.

Doesn't need to be that streamlined shape to travel through space does it ?

I seem to recall something similar being proposed in an Eagle comic many many years ago, mind they also said we'd all be driving flying cars by now and holidaying on the Moon :grin:

Dave

Lot's of good alien asteroids out there to choose from.  Let's hope that the next one (if it were proven to have a benevolent alien intelligence onboard) that enters our solar system decides to drop by planet Earth for a friendly visit.  It's the "unfriendly" ones with a sinister motive we have to worry about...especially those that drop off a surprize "parting gift"....>

Klitwo

Alien Parting Gift.PNG

I stay away from high crime areas when traveling, visiting places where folks are hurting each other or worse in mass is a none starter for Me...The fact they kept going and even hit the boosters may be evidence in itself of intelligence ?

There is so much about that is wrong but lets start with:

Officially ‘speaking’, aliens don’t exist, and we’ve never been contacted by beings, not from Earth. That’s according to scientists and researchers who maintain that life on Earth is unique.

Well they are surely not very scientific scientists that would say "Officially aliens dont exist" surely they can only say we currently have no evidence of their existence.

And why is this guy getting publicity? is it because he is a "Harvard" astronomer?

On ‎23‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 04:54, KevS said:

I will throw my hat into the ring.

Looking at the shape of the object it is obvious piloted by intergalactic dolphins almost certainly genetically manipulated and crossed with spiders it order that the flippers don't get in the way. I would hazard a guess that they only speak ancient Greek and write in runic. They are expert pyramid builders; and use improbability drive powered lasers to produce huge carvings in rocky plains on the planets they visit. The whole object of the mission is to collect water and they have the ability to collapse oceans to singularities and cart them away,  obviously they have green blood and pointed ears. :BangHead:

Can you tell it's cloudy?:clouds1:

If an intelligent alien civilization exists elsewhere in the galaxy...then they are probably advanced and intellient enough to "not" want to give away thier location in the galaxy for fear of being invaded by another advanced yet barbaric civilization that also exists in some nearby solar system.  Unfortunately planet Earth has been waving the "Welcome" sign for the past 100 years or so....Question is: Can we expect some advanced alien visitors someday? If it does happen someday...we shouldn't expect them to open the door of their spacecraft wearing Hawaiian shirts, sandals, sun glasses and start passing out cigars and business cards and then kissing babies....Right Gort? 

Klitwo

2 hours ago, Klitwo said:

If an intelligent alien civilization exists elsewhere in the galaxy...then they are probably advanced and intellient enough to "not" want to give away thier location in the galaxy for fear of being invaded by another advanced yet barbaric civilization that also exists in some nearby solar system.  Unfortunately planet Earth has been waving the "Welcome" sign for the past 100 years or so....Question is: Can we expect some advanced alien visitors someday? If it does happen someday...we shouldn't expect them to open the door of their spacecraft wearing Hawaiian shirts, sandals, sun glasses and start passing out cigars and business cards and then kissing babies....Right Gort? 

Klitwo

I think any advanced civilizations visiting earth will have a copy of the book "how to serve man" with them... I do like the idea of putting technology on a wandering object like Oumuamua for a spying mission though.

Alan

20 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

I think any advanced civilizations visiting earth will have a copy of the book "how to serve man" with them... I do like the idea of putting technology on a wandering object like Oumuamua for a spying mission though.

Alan

Yeah....It seems that Alien cook books are becoming more and more popular than ever these days....>

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=Awr9GjBKEE5cxxwAGkpXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTExbGtvMmJiBGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDVUlDMV8xBHNlYwNzYw--?p=to+Serve+man+you+tube&fr=yfp-t&guccounter=1#id=1&vid=0553e8af51b7b95debab1d94f044b5bd&action=view

Klitwo

1 minute ago, Klitwo said:

That was one of the classic episodes that stick in my mind, I do think the only reason any alien would visit us is to strip resources and gather protein..

Alan

I tend to take web sites with titles like "Ancient Code" with not just a little pinch of salt, but rather a large Siberian salt mine or two. If Oumuamua is a ship, it has lousy attitude control, as it is tumbling quite wildly. The (minute) acceleration measured is more consistent with out-gassing due to the approach to the sun, rather than any booster being fired. I just don't buy the alien hypothesis

2 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

That was one of the classic episodes that stick in my mind, I do think the only reason any alien would visit us is to strip resources and gather protein..

Alan

I think there was a lot more protein running around on the ground and in the oceans during the Triassic period than there is now.  Of course a T-Rex welcoming party may not have been expected by a group of visiting Aliens.  Especially those that wish to gather specimens of the plant and animal life that was existing on planet Earth at that time.  Thier visit here may have been cut short as a result with "no" return date in mind.....

Klitwo

Aliens want to use us as a protein source?

I assume that to be bothered to do that (a) they must like meat as much as Americans (b) they must have a crowded planet, say as crowded as Earth.

In a lifetime an American consumes 7000lbs of meat in a lifetime. Let's assume the average human weighs 200lbs and lives 70 years, to keep the maths simple. That's 100lbs of meat a year.

So if they took the entire population of Earth, converted them super efficiently into meat, it would keep them supplied for two years.

Are the resources to completely strip a planet and transport it's meat light-years  really worth the bother? Surely it would be easier to grow your own meat?

Two observations:

1 - Perhaps this is a compelling argument for being a vegetarian.

2 - Bear in mind where 'Oumuamua came from - it would be ironic if all the meat eaters were eaten by Vegans. ?

Yep. Definitely a probe. Intelligent aliens thought "let's send out a craft that'll eventually end up in another stellar system with intelligent life and send back a message maybe 10 million years after our species has gone extinct. That'll be a good use of resources".

Sounds like one Harvard astronomer has too much time on his hands.

Archived