SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Was "Oumuamua" An Alien Space Probe?

Thanks Kitwo. I see I have an error in a sentence I tried to correct earlier: now it reads "a very perfectly mundane explanation". I'm a bit dyslectic, you see. 

Mariner 4 provided us with evidence for craters on Mars. Craters are quite common, and we did expect them, but the huge volcanoes it found were a big surprise, as was that deep gigantic chasm.

Sagan put it this way: extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. The notion that Oumuamua might be artificial is plenty extraordinary. The evidence, though, is at best flimsy.

So, I think we have no good reason to think that Oumuamua is artificial, and we have the alternative possibility that it is not artificial. To me, the latter seems far more likely.

I'd better remove the word "very" from my earlier post.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Ruud said:

Thanks Kitwo. I see I have an error in a sentence I tried to correct earlier: now it reads "a very perfectly mundane explanation". I'm a bit dyslectic, you see. 

Mariner 4 provided us with evidence for craters on Mars. Craters are quite common, and we did expect them, but the huge volcanoes it found were a big surprise, as was that deep gigantic chasm.

Sagan put it this way: extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. The notion that Oumuamua might be artificial is plenty extraordinary. The evidence, though, is at best flimsy.

So, I think we have no good reason to think that Oumuamua is artificial, and we have the alternative possibility that it is not artificial. To me, the latter seems far more likely.

I'd better remove the word "very" from my earlier post.

"we"?  The only thing I can agree with concerning your statement above about "Oumuamua" is: Yes...currently the evidence for "Oumuamua" being artificial is still quite "speculative".  However....the best current "observed" telescopic view we have of "Oumuamua" when it was passing through the inner solar system was at a such a great distance and with it being such a small object that nothing...even it's true shape and any surface features could be resolved even with some of the world's largest telescopes that tried to track it.  Only a NASA flyby mission that can image it at some appropriate distance can resolve any speculation and conflict about it's true nature, size, shape, surface features and possible origin.....until then it is still "speculation" and "conjecture" what "Oumuamua" actually is...a fact that even the great Carl Sagan if he were still here among us, would have probably agreed with.

Our best view of "Oumuamua", from the William Herschel Telescope on October 29, 2017. Image via Queen’s University Belfast/William Herschel Telescope....>

http://en.es-static.us/upl/2018/11/oumuamu-William-Herschel-Telescope-11-5-2018.jpg

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/609Ng8.gif

Klitwo

Suggesting something might be artificial because it's a bit odd or unknown is not very scientific and highly illogical.

The universe is full of things we either don't know about, or understand; an interesting one just passed by - that's all we have, 'interesting'.

I think Galileo said..." Measure what is measurable, Make measurable what is not" so I would agree Oumuamua is not only interesting but beyond measure also, making it the subject of conjecture and assumption. This is the reason Galileo's second line makes his quote so endearing.

"The Universe is full of things we don't know about; or understand"

Yes indeed Mr Spock it is;

More @ Pbs Space Time

1 hour ago, Mr Spock said:

Suggesting something might be artificial because it's a bit odd or unknown is not very scientific and highly illogical.

The universe is full of things we either don't know about, or understand; an interesting one just passed by - that's all we have, 'interesting'.

Using the noun "speculation" or to "speculate" on what "Oumuamua" might possibly be (artificial or natural occuring?) would probably be more appropriate...especially if it were to be reviewed in a "hypothesis" in an academic setting.  With all due respect....the use of the adjective "interesting" just doesn't seem "interesting" enough (except for a layman maybe) to arouse much "if any" scientific curiosity in a thesis that's about to be reviewed by one's peers....

P.S. Obviously the scientific community finds "Oumuamua" more than just "interesting"....otherwise we wouldn't be having this conversation today!

Klitwo

I find speculation to be self defeating as it rarely contributes to scientific fact.

You would hope people would examine the (little) evidence we have about this object and look to provide more rational basis for any assessment of it's nature.

1 hour ago, Mr Spock said:

I find speculation to be self defeating as it rarely contributes to scientific fact.

You would hope people would examine the (little) evidence we have about this object and look to provide more rational basis for any assessment of it's nature.

With all due respect....I believe the "same" could be said for the adjective "interesting" too....especially when it comes to trying to accurately describe something that currently has "no" confirmed scientific description or explanation....other than the use of "speculative".....

Klitwo

20 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

Interesting: arousing curiosity or interest; holding or catching the attention.

I belive the word is sufficient in this context and it's meaning unambiguous.

With all due respect...you can draw your own premature conclusion about "Oumuamua".  I'll prefer to wait until all of the facts are in before I draw mine about the true nature and origin of "Oumuamua".  At least in that way...I will have given science the benefit of the doubt instead of science fiction....

Klitwo

It could be many things.

The diamond core of a disrupted white dwarf, a nugget of gold condensed from a neuron star merger, a probe from an advanced civiliastion.

We will never know for sure as there will be no mission to observe it up close.

In such a case the best thing to do is to assume the most mundane answer consistent with the facts we do have. I am sure that will be the consensus that will emerge in due course from the scientific community. 

Regards Andrew 

• Steve locked this topic

Archived