Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_the_milky_way_winners.thumb.jpg.0a840852a676f881f4a849dd8099085d.jpg

Comet 46P/Wirtanen is now easy in 6.5x32 binoculars and trivially obvious in 10x50. Take a look! As I write, it is just below Pi Ceti.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Not obvious with a big cloud bank stuck over it all evening :D

Dave

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, BinocularSky said:

Comet 46P/Wirtanen is now easy in 6.5x32 binoculars and trivially obvious in 10x50. Take a look! As I write, it is just below Pi Ceti.

I did have a 1st attempt last night. A mixture of cloud, car headlights and wind blowing my finder charts in to the mud/under my feet, meant it was an epic fail 😉

35 minutes ago, Pete Presland said:

I did have a 1st attempt last night. A mixture of cloud, car headlights and wind blowing my finder charts in to the mud/under my feet, meant it was an epic fail 😉

See those as aspects to make it all the sweeter when you do find it :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

I had a go last night with my 15x70’s but terrible LP and murk beat me. I need to drive away from town.

I saw the comet with the help of charts last Thursday (29 Nov), via 7 x 50.

However, by last night it was slighter higher and brighter and very obvious in 7 x 50s after a quick sweep of the area - no reference to its charted position required 😀. It was a wonderful, big misty blob below Pi Ceti, and I kept looking, off and on, until the area disappeared behind the neighbour's wall. an hour or so later.

Regards, Mike.

• Like 1

I need to get out of town to look for it apparently. Last night I was using my 10x42 Steiners and if I didn't know exactly where it was using my phone app, I would have missed it completely. What sort of skies do you all have that it's so obvious?

My skies are Bortle 4 according to Clear Outside, and I was viewing in a particularly clear spell once the early evening clouds had moved away.

Regards, Mike.

1 hour ago, Buzzard75 said:

I need to get out of town to look for it apparently. Last night I was using my 10x42 Steiners and if I didn't know exactly where it was using my phone app, I would have missed it completely. What sort of skies do you all have that it's so obvious?

I too have "Bortle 4" skies according to Clear Outside. I've done SQM readings and, when it looks pretty transparent, they have ranged from 20.36 to 21.03 mag/arcsec^2 at zenith, but Bournemouth, Poole, Salisbury, Fawley & Ringwood ruin my horizons (not that I can see them from home, but... 🙂

Last night was "middling"; a bit of cloud about, but reasonably transparent. When I was looking at the comet, I could see 5th mag stars (naked eye) in the comet's region after a couple of minutes dark adaptation (eg Eps Ceti)

HTH

Edited by BinocularSky
clarity

Don't know what my sky measures but I could only get occasional glimpses of those 2 Sadr xxxx stars naked eye, star hopped from Rigel to Zaurak, the only plainly visible star nearby, then scanned around with bins in the general area but still tricky to find with all the passing cloud.

Dave

Got it just now with my Helios LightQuest 16x80 binoculars, northeast of pi Ceti. I couldn't spot them from near my home, where the city lights and low altitude made spotting even Mira Ceti impossible with the naked eye. I drove to an area south of the city, with most of the city lights behind me. The skies were still hazy, but I could see an extended, elongated hazy object northeast of pi Ceti repeatedly, right were the comet should currently be according to the charts. I could repeat the observation a few times, although it did get harder, as low clouds moved in. Still, comet 22 bagged! Should the skies clear again, I hope to have another go when it is higher in the sky.

• Like 4