Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

rorymultistorey

Good Beginners Astrophotography Set Up for £150 - Video

HI All,

I have an entertaining   video to share with you which is perfect for those just starting out and wanting to taste a bit of astrophotography without spending a lot of money. I image from London and managed to get a pretty good shot of Orion for just £150. This video runs through where I bought the equipment, why I bought  it and how I used it to capture a Orion and some of the trials and tribulations I had to deal with on the way. Any questions please ask!  Enjoy!

FYI I shot this last year but with Orion now beginning to rise over the rooftops of London I thought this would be a good time to share it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

great vid mate, well done. I feel for you, I have to shoot from indoors due to illness, but if you put you mind to it anything is possible. if you would like to see some of my images to compare check out my flickr link in my sig. wishing you clear skys. charl.

• Like 1

Very enjoyable, educational and entertaining, pic was  awesome and goes to show what you can achieve on a tight budget, you ever tried it with a Dob ? 

Your mission should you wish to choose ?

• Like 1

Glad you liked it thx for the encouraging comments

3 hours ago, xtreemchaos said:

great vid mate, well done. I feel for you, I have to shoot from indoors due to illness, but if you put you mind to it anything is possible. if you would like to see some of my images to compare check out my flickr link in my sig. wishing you clear skys. charl.

NO WAY... brilliant stuff Charley boy!!! Really good quality images, 

• Like 1

thanks Rory, your so kind mate, I don't do as much DS as id like to with the darn window frame allways getting in the way but I make up for it with solar system stuff. I love that shot you got of the Great Orion neb from your roof and from the middle of London. clear skys. charl.

21 minutes ago, xtreemchaos said:

thanks Rory, your so kind mate, I don't do as much DS as id like to with the darn window frame allways getting in the way but I make up for it with solar system stuff. I love that shot you got of the Great Orion neb from your roof and from the middle of London. clear skys. charl.

Thx buddy... I love your solar work. BTW I think I can trump you shooting solar system through a window... how about shooting from a BEAN BAG!! (this is a very very silly video!)  Any excuse to plug one of my vids!!!!

You were lucky with the ebay win and it came with the synscan v3 controller, nice. In spirit of the budget I think processing in GIMP would have been a good match.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Wavseeker
      Ladies and gentleman, 
      Thank you for helping me in advance. 
      As a kid I've always been fascinated with the sky and what was in it. The nights sky is filled with beautiful stars and nebulae and I want to see them for myself and be amazed how insignificant we really are compared to this vast open space. So let me adress some of the key points that I want for a first scope.
      1. Around €1000
      2. Big aperture, I want to see as much as possible and as far as possible while not losing a clear image
      3. I would like to have a push to or go to system
      4. Beginner friendly
      5. Size is not a problem 
      8. I prefer reflectors since it seems they give more aperture for the money but if you know a better scope that sees more with less aperture let me know
      9. I have a Canon 550D and maybe I could use this for a bit of astrophotography. This is last on the list tho and can be scrapped if the first 3 points aren't met
      Of course build quality is very important when making my choice so keep that in mind as well.
      I'm looking forward to you guys advice. 
       Happy stargazing and clear skies! 
    • By ramdom
      Total integration: 960 minutes/16 hours (20+10 x 6m for S2 + 61+20 x 6m for Ha + 34+15 x 6m for O3).
      Camera: QHY163M (16mp mono) CMOS cooled to -15 degrees C.
      Telescope: Stellarvue SV70T triplet apochromat refractor @ f/4.8.
      Reducer: SFFR70-APO
      Mount: Paramount MyT.
      Filters: Astrodon 5nm Ha, 3nm O3, 3nm S2.
      Software: Sharpcap, PixInsight, Photoshop CC. 
      Inline image with reduced quality uploaded to forum. Full sized higher resolution image is here: http://ram.org/images/space/scope/1.4.4.5/veil_sho_20+10x360s_61+20x360s_34+15x360s.jpg
      The Veil nebula and regions within located in the Cygnus constellation are known by many names, including Filamentary, Cirrus, Network, and Witch's Broom.  This capture is my first attempt at creating a (two panel narrowband) mosaic and perhaps my last since after doing this I feel I should stick to my general philosophy of using the right sensor/reducer/OTA combination for the right target (though the North America nebula beckons and I don't see how I can get it to fit in a single panel unless I switch to using camera lenses). It was a PITA to get the brightness and noise levels of the panels matched up properly and also bring out the faint wispy details while imaging during moonlight though I learnt a lot about PixInsight doing this.
      This was an interesting target for many reasons, beyond my two panel struggle.  The Ha areas largely over encompass the O3 and S2 regions, but both of these also have very strong signal and if I had done an image excluding Ha it would've looked rather similar (except for the very faint bits prominent only in Ha. The S3 overlap is near 100% with the other two elements and if I hadn't brought down the Ha (which is still overwhelming) there would've been a lot of white as a result of the RGB combination.  I chose to find a balance between choosing a post processing scheme that aesthetically looked good from afar while also showing the details of the filaments but the Ha only image really shows how intricate the filament work is. IMO, these narrowband images take a lot of artistic license and are best appreciated in comparison to the monochromatic signal from the individual filters, particularly Ha.
      Other versions (Ha, darker background with more subtle processing, and basic SHO without HP tweaks) are here: https://www.astrobin.com/416486/B/ https://www.astrobin.com/416486/F  https://www.astrobin.com/416486/G/
      My plan is to repeat this with my OSC on the SV70T and by rotating the camera by 90 degrees I can get it to fit, which will a generate a colour image, and and then if possible I will create a merged SHO-RGB image by combining all of these captures.
      As always, thanks for looking!
      --Ram

• By Mark Daniels
      Been looking for neat solution to taking small scope abroad using my stuff and not paying out for a dedicated set up. 
      Have a skywatcher finder which with a barlow and 90 * gives good results. I was looking at an Orion mini eq tabletop tripod but hard to get hold of. 
      Play a bit of music in a band and have a few microphone stands so got to work with a hack saw. 
      I used a mic holder as in photo they are about £3 and cut the holder part off and filed flat. Drilled hole through to accept large camera thread (£3 screw bolt)
      this allows shortened micstand to fit to the alt az mount. (Mic stand 15 of ebay. )
      the dovetail was expensive as i wanted green and got from germany £30 with couier the white finder bracket from tring harrisons £6
      so thats £60 but if i went for black dovetail less than £40  seeing i had mic stand already quite a cheap solition
      the stand is very stable and provided the telescope is moved clockwise when rotating freehand the threads stay tight  with the fine controls either direction works well
      overall wiegt is bit over 3 kg and will fit in a standard aluminium camera case 
      hope this if useful 
      Mark👍

• By wavydavy
      Canon 450D Modified for astrophotography, the IR cut filter has been removed for better response on red emission nebula in deep sky objects. Comes with battery, and charger. Shutter count is (atm) 5914, see picture 4. The camera is in great condition, throughout. No lens, just body. Will post special delivery. message me if you have any questions. Price is £150.

• By starcorral
      My club's Atlas is stuck on the date 11/13/2099.   Last night was 6/28/2019.  Every time I reset the date and started the 3 star alignment the scope chose Vega and then pointed to the western sky - sorta wonky.  When I tried a second star it aimed at a totally wrong part of the sky.  I went back to date and it had reset to the11/13/2099 date.  The mount has a working GPS module.   I went through all the menus and there was no place other than the " sub menu to attempt to replace the errant date.  After five tries I gave up.   Apparently the GPS was accurate to withing a stride or two.  What should I try next?   I know my club; they'd rather stuff it in a corner than take the time or money to fix it.  So it will be m time and my money.  I used the mount several times this year and had no problem.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.