Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

refractordude

What Would Be Your Answer To This Question?

I was asked "what do you get from observing the night sky". My answer was, "I don't know it is something spiritual". What would be your short answer to this question?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Trying to satisfy my curiosity, admire beauty, in awe over the vastness, etc.

• Like 2

To commune with the universe, to relax and concentrate on something outside of my daily life, and to have fun with my optical toys.

• Like 3

Curiosity and wonder! :) 

• Like 4

Joy, astonishment, bewilderment, wonder and fear. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I don't know I can answer what I get from it, but I know why I do it ... (to quote George Mallory) because it's there.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

Fear???

The Universe is an extremely dangerous environment in wich to survive, with the theme here of short answers, I'll leave this to your own research.

2 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

Peace and quiet... 

What he said :), plus relaxation.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, SIDO said:

The Universe is an extremely dangerous environment in wich to survive, with the theme here of short answers, I'll leave this to your own research.

Yeah true, thats why I look from a distance..... ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

Yeah true, thats why I look from a distance..... ?

Like you, I would like to observe the universe from a distance ... but I just can't seem to get far enough outside it to do so ... :D

• Haha 4

The challenges, the satisfaction, the meditative qualities even - but also the sense of the incomprehensible scales of times and distances.

Doug.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Demonperformer said:

Like you, I would like to observe the universe from a distance ... but I just can't seem to get far enough outside it to do so ... :D

It is interesting that even astronomers often set themselves apart from it like its just outside that window over there, Earth Separation Anxiety Syndrome I think they call it ?

Improved understanding of our place in the universe. Leading up to that you get enjoyment, beauty and awe.

• Like 1

All of the above.  If I were to expand on that, I would break the code of conduct...........

Ed.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

Fear???

The neighbour's cat. :D 

I observe because its so relaxing--even sniffing the night air makes me feel a bit......high. :drunken_smilie:

John

Edited by JohnSadlerAstro
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

I observe because its so relaxing--even sniffing the night air makes me feel a bit......high. :drunken_smilie:

John

Always look up... no cats....

2 minutes ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

John

Or those big as your hand Fishing Spiders we get here every fall just when the seeing starts to improve, I was more refering to a physiological fear of the known but we can include the spiders and the neighbors cat too ?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SIDO said:

Physiological fear.

I would classify my fear under this, I am aware of the cats presense but I sometimes forget to close the garage door, and the cats go in and try to get into the house itself. They did go right in once, but other times they will just hang about in there until I enter the completely dark garage then flash past me knocking stuff down. They are black cats, too, really creepy. ?

John

29 minutes ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

I would classify my fear under this, I am aware of the cats presense but I sometimes forget to close the garage door, and the cats go in and try to get into the house itself. They did go right in once, but other times they will just hang about in there until I enter the completely dark garage then flash past me knocking stuff down. They are black cats, too, really creepy. ?

John

The poster asked for a brief description regarding what one gets from observing the Universe, I gave a short but entirely honest answer so doing I admitted being human and have become the butt of jokes. Maybe my physcological well studied not physiological fear of an asteroid strike or a supernova maybe even a solar flare hot enough to burn the neighbor's kitty is illogical to you but for me these are very real threats and I could list hundreds more as the cosmos is littered with options here. 

Hot enough to burn the neighbor's kitty,  Ha hahaha / see there goes that I'm only human thing again ?

Edited by SIDO

14 minutes ago, SIDO said:

The poster asked for a brief description regarding what one gets from observing the Universe, I gave a short but entirely honest answer so doing I admitted being human and have become the butt of jokes. Maybe my physcological well studied not physiological fear of an asteroid strike or a supernova maybe even a solar flare hot enough to burn the neighbor's kitty is illogical to you but for me these are very real threats and I could list hundreds more as the cosmos is littered with options here. 

Hot enough to burn the neighbor's kitty,  Ha hahaha / see there goes that I'm only human thing again ?

Not the butt of jokes, just a bit of gentle humour.  It is interesting the different responses people have. When I observe, I don’t actually imagine the violence of the events out there. It all just looks and feels very peaceful to me, perhaps my lack of imagination, but peaceful is how I feel when I observe. When trying to concentrate on pulling out detail I find my breathing slows right down, heart rate drops and I concentrate to a degree that I forget the stresses and strains of everyday life, that’s what it is about for me really.

• Like 7