Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Leaving a HEQ 5 mount outside.

Hi,

I was wondering as i dont have space for a shed or obsy in my garden would it be ok to leave a HEQ5 outside all the time?Obviously with covers.  If anyone else does this i would like to know. 

Thanks

Just now, PaulB said:

I leave my G11 on its pier and have it covered with a Cygnus Astro Cover.

http://neilross758.wixsite.com/cygnus-astro-covers

They are very well made and 100% waterproof.

They are waterproof, but I bet moisture will still come into the mount and scope right? For moisture to stay out, it needs to stay heated somehow. Over the years, there is no sign of corrosion or anything?

Hi Obi,

Moisture isn't an issue. The cover allows the mount to breathe. And the all the important bits are sprayed with ACF50. 

I am not the only one here and elsewhere- who leaves his mount outside.

My EQ5 has lived outside for about five years now with no problems.  It is covered with an upturned plastic bin and a couple of garden furniture covers.  These allow the mount to "breathe" and I have never found any condensation etc on the mount.

The GIF below shows the idea BUT this has my old, single, furniture cover.  The new cover is a "premium" quality one from Homebase similar to this one:  Chair cover  

Pier-Movie.gif.c972c3a13ece0dd5fe28ee6559acf597.gif

In Northern maritime climates the continual bombardment of moist air, dew, fog, rain when observing normally is enough for sleepness nights... 

Adopt the best procedure to get you out there under the stars.  Sensible precaution and a bit of TLC..... mounts can be serviced if it does end up being problematic....

18 minutes ago, Bizibilder said:

My EQ5 has lived outside for about five years now with no problems.  It is covered with an upturned plastic bin and a couple of garden furniture covers.  These allow the mount to "breathe" and I have never found any condensation etc on the mount.

The GIF below shows the idea BUT this has my old, single, furniture cover.  The new cover is a "premium" quality one from Homebase similar to this one:  Chair cover  

Pier-Movie.gif.c972c3a13ece0dd5fe28ee6559acf597.gif

Thank you. Was what i was looking for. 

Hi,

Im glad you started this topic @Olli, I've been wondering about doing something like this. The issue for me is that we are on a corner plot--so although most of the lights are turned off at midnight, the one at the corner (South, of course :D) doesn't. However, if I go out to the front of the house, there aren't any lights after midnight whatsoever. I don't really want to leave my mount outside the front door 24/7! ;) 

By use of PHD drift align etc, I have got setup/PA time to under an hour, and then finding and focusing not much longer than that--so theres probably not all that much point now.

John

I have used a wooden frame covered with breathable waterproof roofing felt. Large velcro flap one end that I peel back then just tip it back to use the scope. Mount, scope and cameras all seem fine and the bottom has a good foot gap to allow the air to circulate.

1 minute ago, spillage said:

I have used a wooden frame covered with breathable waterproof roofing felt. Large velcro flap one end that I peel back then just tip it back to use the scope. Mount, scope and cameras all seem fine and the bottom has a good foot gap to allow the air to circulate.

be careful, breathable roofing felt isn't designed for long term exposure to the elements. most are rated for 30-60 days

21 hours ago, Obi Wan Ken00bi said:

They are waterproof, but I bet moisture will still come into the mount and scope right? For moisture to stay out, it needs to stay heated somehow. Over the years, there is no sign of corrosion or anything?

My thoughts exactly. 

18 hours ago, laser_jock99 said:

My EQ6 has lived outside for 3 years or so under BBQ covers (with a Poundland damp tramp under the covers). Still works okay (in fact the EQ6 inside the obsy gives me more trouble.....)

39366869051_cb2dda8b90_b.jpg

And of course I'm not jealous of that view / location. ? Hmmm.  Didn't account for new house in my Astro budget!!!! 

I use a telegizmo 365 cover:  http://www.telegizmos.com/365 sizes and prices page 2.htm
with a pair of skiboot heaters underneath to keep everything just a few degrees above dew point. Works really well.
on top of that I sprayed all electrical components and connectors with NanoProtech electrical spray: http://www.nanoprotech.org/

Never had a problem ...

Archived