Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss.thumb.jpg.5b348d6a5e7f27bdcb79e9356b7fc03b.jpg

Thinking about getting a skyliner 200p dobsonian, maybe even the 250p. Looking for advice on these scopes and if they are a good buy at all? Previous scope was only a small 70mm refractor. Looking for good general viewing capabilities, for planetary and deep sky objects. Been out of astronomy for few years, but am getting back into it now. Thanks 

The 200P is one of the most popular starter scopes for very good reasons. The quality of what you can see through it is hard to beat at its price and it is easy to store, use and move around.

I am sure the 250P is also excellent, but it will be considerably heavier.

If you can manage the 250P, then bigger aperture is always better. Both scopes, in my opinion, are fairly manageable and both can fit in a car. 

Those are both sweet scopes, I am considering one actually, I’ve had a peek through the 200p, was impressed!

Welcome to the Stargazers Lounge.

Either scope will be just fine. I wanted the 12" 300P solid Skyliner to be my next upgrade, should one become/made available, thats close enough for inspection, and cheap enough to warrant the purchase. I would want to test it side-by-side first to see  if there's a clear difference, and  If there was visually, I would buy it.

The difference has to be  very clear, not marginal. I bought some expensive second hand eyepieces, expecting  to see far more from them than they actually provided, and those eyepieces were from the well known TeleVue brand.

On paper, the next size up in aperture for a Dobsonian ( for visual use only ) should always be better, and is the way to go, as more aperture collects more photons, more photons produce brighter and sharper images, maybe even producing a slightly larger image.
Jupiter  itself on the 8" 200P is small (don't think astronomy book detailing) but what you can see under almost perfect conditions, will still blow you away!

For now, there's no rush to sell my 5 Year scope, and for eyepieces, I would highly recommend some BST Starguiders ED eyepieces.

Edited by Charic

A 250px was my first scope: I wholeheartedly recommend it :)

It will show you so much - all sorts of targets solar system to DSOs.

I can only expect that a 200p will also deliver the goods in accordance with its aperture. 

I was about to purchase an Orion (US) 8", when Wolfi R. at TS pointed out that the SW 250px was about the same price.  I'm forever in his debt ;)

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By greeno76
      Hi,
      I've just ordered a Sky-Watcher Skymax 150 PRO from FLO. It will replace my wonderful 250px which is simply taking up too much room amongst my kids' growing population of Peppa Pig and friends!
      Will I miss the wider field of view and the light gathering capabilities of the big(ish) dob in my little backyard in averagely light polluted Bedford?  I've read good things about the MAK but I'm nervous!
      Part of my motivation was that I want to be able to share the joy of the night skies with my young kids (6 & 3). The dob is fabulous but it's not that easy for them to see through the eyepiece without knocking it off target. I have an HEQ5  Pro mount (which I've never used). I'm hoping that, along with the MAK, the kids might have a better chance of seeing things and being inspired rather than frustrated.
      I'll almost certainly sell the 250px asap and free-up the space for 'Peppa Pig land'.
      I hope I'm not making a grave (and expensive) mistake!
      Best wishes,
      Jason
    • By DonJbari
      Hi all, 
      So, i've just begun my journey into Astronomy and subsequently have fallen into the rabbit hole of Astrophotography, as stated in the title i currently own a SkyWatcher Skyliner 200P FlexTube SynScan Dobsonian Telescope however as you may all know the dobsonian mount isn't really feasible for long exposure photographs and have started researching EQ Mounts and will most likely go with the Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro GOTO Mount & Tripod however i have seen comments about not being able to convert the FlexTube models of telescopes and was wondering if anyone here has had any success converting a SW flextube telescope to work on a EQ mount using tube rings?
      Thanks!

• By Major Canis
      Hello,
      I'm currently using the Skywatcher Skyliner 200P reflector telescope with the 10mm and 25mm EPs that came with it. I have been viewing for a while now and think its time I upgraded the eyepieces. My budget is around £500. I'd like to be able to get a range of EPs that will provide me with wide view and higher magnification viewing (a shorter length, longer length and a barlow (or perhaps a powermate but I dont know much about these other than they are seemingly better than barlows - perhaps a little over budget)).
      I enjoy both planetary and DSO viewing though if I had a preference it would be the latter. I wear eyeglasses having astigmatism in both eyes so eye relief is important. I mainly view from rural areas but will sometimes get it out in my rather light polluted back garden, so I am flexible with exit pupil size (the maximum being 31/35mm I reckon).
      There is quite a selection of vendors and I am hoping you folks can help me narrow down my choices with some first hand experience
      Cheers,
      Nathan
    • By newtyng5
      Skywatcher 14” FlexTube Dobsonian GOTO with extras
      Skywatcher Skyliner 350P 14" F/4.5 FlexTube GOTO for sale.

Comes with :
      Skywatcher PowerTank 17Ah.
      Heater strip on the secondary mirror. does NOT come with the Dew Controller.
      Telrad Finder and Telrad Riser Base.
      Skywatcher 9x50 Finderscope
      25mmSkywatcher Super Plossl eyepiece
      Skywatcher 2x Barlow lens.
      Dual-Speed 2" Crayford Focuser with 1.25" adapter
      Astrozap light shroud for Skywatcher FlexTube
      Cheshire Collimating Eyepiece
      Laser Collimating Eyepiece.
      This a big scope with great views. Can be used as a goto or a push to scope.
      In excellent condition.
      The scope can be assembled and disassembled in about 10 minutes or so.

£1000

Buyer collects. Nottingham NG7 Area.
      Thanks

• By newtyng5
      Skywatcher 14” FlexTube Dobsonian GOTO with extras
      Skywatcher Skyliner 350P 14" F/4.5 FlexTube GOTO for sale.

Comes with :
      Skywatcher PowerTank 17Ah.
      Heater strip on the secondary mirror. does NOT come with the Dew Controller.
      Telrad Finder and Telrad Riser Base.
      Skywatcher 9x50 Finderscope
      25mmSkywatcher Super Plossl eyepiece
      Skywatcher 2x Barlow lens.
      Dual-Speed 2" Crayford Focuser with 1.25" adapter
      Astrozap light shroud for Skywatcher FlexTube
      Cheshire Collimating Eyepiece
      Laser Collimating Eyepiece.
      this a big scope with great views. can be used as a goto or a push to scope.
      in excellent condition.
      The scope can be assembled and disassembled in about 10 minutes or so.

£1250

Buyer collects. Nottingham Area.
      Thanks
      EDIT: Decided to put a reason why I am selling this scope. It's been a fabulous scope (some of you folks may have seen it at the last SGL star party). But fitting this and my 11" sct in the car is a massive squeeze (I did have a 9.25 at SGL and just managed it, with the tents and stuff).
      So I have decided regrettably to sell. More images can be arranged, and by all means come and view it (no obligation).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.