Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SkyWatcher Skyliner 200P FlexTube SynScan Dobsonian Telescope Conversion

Hi all, 

So, i've just begun my journey into Astronomy and subsequently have fallen into the rabbit hole of Astrophotography, as stated in the title i currently own a SkyWatcher Skyliner 200P FlexTube SynScan Dobsonian Telescope however as you may all know the dobsonian mount isn't really feasible for long exposure photographs and have started researching EQ Mounts and will most likely go with the Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro GOTO Mount & Tripod however i have seen comments about not being able to convert the FlexTube models of telescopes and was wondering if anyone here has had any success converting a SW flextube telescope to work on a EQ mount using tube rings?

Thanks!

10224.jpg

While it can be done, I've done it with solid tube 8" - you don't want to do it :D

You need couple of things:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/tube-rings/skywatcher-telescope-tube-rings.html

There are rings for 235mm tube (marked 8" newtonian tube rings).

and something like this:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dovetails-saddles-clamps/skywatcher-dovetail-mounting-plates.html

Possible problem that I can see is point of balance. Scope should be balanced approximately where "ears" for dob base are - you need to check if you have enough space to put rings with dovetail on that section of the tube because of the tube design - you can't put tube rings on upper "truss" part.

There are couple of threads about removing "ears" from solid 8" skywatcher dob here on SGL - let me try to find those for you.

So, yes, it can probably be done. Other option is to "mod" the tube by drilling holes and bolting down dovetail plate. But like I've said - you don't want to do that, at least not with HEQ5. Scope is very long and bulky and it's at the very end of mount carry capability. If starting with AP - this is simply going to give you grief instead of good results.

Thanks for the help guys,

But after some extensive research i think the best solution is to just bite the bullet and buy a dedicated refractor for astrophotography and keep the dob for visual/planetary observation.

but yeah thanks for the replies, appreciate it!

12 hours ago, DonJbari said:

But after some extensive research i think the best solution is to just bite the bullet and buy a dedicated refractor for astrophotography and keep the dob for visual/planetary observation.

Good decision.

Even if you were able to mount your 200p on an eq mount like a normal newt, it would be under-mounted on an HEQ5 Pro for imaging. Getting an EQ6 class mount would make the whole kit very cumbersome and 1200mm focal length may not be the best starting point for AP. While there are high payload:weight ratio mounts to keep the overall weight down (e.g. iEQ45, SXP2, etc.), they are more expensive than an 80ED + HEQ5 combo.

7 hours ago, KP82 said:

Good decision.

Even if you were able to mount your 200p on an eq mount like a normal newt, it would be under-mounted on an HEQ5 Pro for imaging. Getting an EQ6 class mount would make the whole kit very cumbersome and 1200mm focal length may not be the best starting point for AP. While there are high payload:weight ratio mounts to keep the overall weight down (e.g. iEQ45, SXP2, etc.), they are more expensive than an 80ED + HEQ5 combo.

Yeah overall it just doesn't make sense, but hey at least now i have something to look forward to ?, going to wait for Galaxy season and pick up a SW Esprite 100ed and a HEQ5-Pro 

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/01/2019 at 13:45, DonJbari said:

Have you looked at something like a 150PDS?

Great topic,

I am thinking buying this scope and just sent you a PM about some technical questions about it.

Will be using mostly for visual but I am also interested in doing very simple EAA with it.

From what I heard, the EQ5 mount is too small. I heard people suggesting the EQ6 for AP. But I know nothing of AP and very little if mounts...

Archived