The Boy and The Milky Way

Took my son camping to Shell Island (Wales U.K.) the weather was great but started to haze over shortly after taking this. A shot of my boy pointing up at the Milky Way on the beach. Taken with my Sony A7s, exposure 20s at f5.6 51000 iso Fixed tripod...so there is some trailing present

663327903_TheBoyandtheMilkyWay.thumb.jpg.01a511cc743c541ce5ea19c3db4dc362.jpg

56 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Great shot! Well done! :) How did you manage to keep your son still for 20 seconds then?

Yep well thats the trick...it surprised me too, hes only ten and the only time he keeps that still is when he's on the tablet... but he did very well with his old man shouting   "Keep Still" every second ..? If you look close there is movement and I lit him with two short bursts of torch light which is why there are two shadows. I did have to photoshop a little around his hand and arm ?

52 minutes ago, saac said:

Wow again, I love the colour and composition Peter , great photograph well done. :) 

Jim 

Thank you Jim....you mentioned colour...I love the way you get sunset reds as it gets near the horizon

1 hour ago, Debo said:

WOW :ohmy:

Thank you Den

Amazing!!  Beautifully clear dark sky.  Mine used to be pretty good but the light pollution has increased a lot in the last few years.  That's a wonderful photo - love it  ??

On 11/08/2018 at 00:57, JamesF said:

Indeed so.  Very nicely done.  Had you not explained otherwise I'd have sworn it was a composite image.

James

I can see why you would think that, but just keeping the torch light burst short and only a couple of seconds apart really helped with minimising the ghosting effect.

4 hours ago, Gina said:

Amazing!!  Beautifully clear dark sky.  Mine used to be pretty good but the light pollution has increased a lot in the last few years.  That's a wonderful photo - love it  ??

I know Gina its seems to be getting worse everywhere there are very few places left in the UK where its really dark. 

Archived