Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Moon, Mars & Mill

Indeed, in the Netherlands we all live in windmills, walking on clogs in our dungarees ?

Truth is: it took some preparation to find a suitable location for capturing the 'hottest lunar eclipse ever measured' with a windmill in the foreground. I used an interactive map that shows all the windmills in the Netherlands and found a nice mill to the South East of a country road in a place called 'Zoelen' (never heard of it either... though I can pronounce it the way it should be pronounced ? ). The precise spot for placing the camera and tripod to get the desired viewpoint was determined with the virtual reality app 'PhotoPills'. Hardly any traffic on that road, but better save than sorry. Had a nice chat with a few passers-by who I offered a look to the eclipsed Moon through the telescope of course. (Sorry for the noisy phone pics).

DQp4PrCHSw26vEvMYwjeHw-L.jpg

fullsizeoutput_3f6-L.jpg     

fullsizeoutput_3f1-L.jpg

The end result is a composition of 40 images captured with a Nikon D810a and Nikon AF-S 24-85 mm f/3.5-4.5 G ED @ 85 mm f/5.6. Two minute intervals between the exposures. Auto exposed on ISO 1600 with exposure smoothing enabled using the on-camera 'interval shooting' function.

lunar_eclipse_20180727-X5.jpg

Well done! What a really well planned sequence of shots to make up an excellent composite image.

On this side of the North Sea were not as fortunate so it is good to see images from those for whom the clouds did not spoil a unique event.

Thank you for sharing!

Adrian

Thanks for the comments. 

@Demonperformer: with exposure smoothing the camera remembers the previous exposure time(s) and will shoot the next exposure at least as long as the previous one or otherwise longer when the skies darkens. 

@happy-kat: I wasn’t aware of that. Will put it there also. 

Archived