Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A big fan?

Tim

Well this takes the biscuit. I have used fans for years to cool mirrors in various telescopes, dobsonians, newts, and I also keep one blowing over my gear throughout the winter to help keep condensation down.

But tonight, sat here in my VERY warm room, the fan is pointing at yours truly.  What a year of contrasts, it doesn't seem 5 minutes since I was sat here wrapped up head to toe and freezing, with heaters on, but tonight is one of the warmest so far that I have endeavoured to observe on from home. It is not even that I am not used to being in a hot environment, I spent most days working outside in the full sun, and even in greenhouses and polytunnels, but sat here waiting for gear to cool and the air to settle a bit it is really close and stuffy. Makes you spare a thought for astronomers in reliably warm countries, to be quite honest, I'd rather have it cold.

If i'm just imaging, and can set up and leave it for a bit, would normally have something cold and fizzy from the fridge, fermented apple juice perhaps or hop juice, but I have some detailed tests to attempt and record tonight so need to keep my full wits about me, such as they are :p

What do you guys prefer, warmer or cooler nights?

Cheers

Tim

End of August / Early Sept for me - still a good chance of warm weather but with some astro-darkness.

But I do love the summer sun, and although I indulge in the British hobby of moaning about the weather, prefer it to the cold!

I much prefer warm nights to cold and I'll happily accept lighter skies in exchange for a more civil temperature. I am impressed by the cold weather exploits of many SGL colleagues, who endure conditions that I would never put up with!

Not going to complain one bit about the weather. The light nights stop me from doing any AP but I'll get over it. It's a hobby after all. Autumn will be here soon enough.

On 24/07/2018 at 22:34, Tim said:

Well this takes the biscuit. I have used fans for years to cool mirrors in various telescopes, dobsonians, newts, and I also keep one blowing over my gear throughout the winter to help keep condensation down.

But tonight, sat here in my VERY warm room, the fan is pointing at yours truly.  What a year of contrasts, it doesn't seem 5 minutes since I was sat here wrapped up head to toe and freezing, with heaters on, but tonight is one of the warmest so far that I have endeavoured to observe on from home. It is not even that I am not used to being in a hot environment, I spent most days working outside in the full sun, and even in greenhouses and polytunnels, but sat here waiting for gear to cool and the air to settle a bit it is really close and stuffy. Makes you spare a thought for astronomers in reliably warm countries, to be quite honest, I'd rather have it cold.

If i'm just imaging, and can set up and leave it for a bit, would normally have something cold and fizzy from the fridge, fermented apple juice perhaps or hop juice, but I have some detailed tests to attempt and record tonight so need to keep my full wits about me, such as they are :p

What do you guys prefer, warmer or cooler nights?

Cheers

Tim

Spot on, Tim.  It comes with its own pitfalls, and is why I had to swap out my imaging camera in Spain as I couldn't cool enough to image at sensible sensor temperatures. 

I don't do much visual, only really general gazing with my binoculars, but can imagine it is veeeery uncomfortable.

I love the warm nights, but you definitely need to be prepared for them, in the same way as you would for cold ones.

Archived