Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Saturn: My New Fave Image!

orion25

I've always struggled with getting a good image of Saturn, using the Cassini Division as a yardstick. A few nights ago, I was able to take advantage of a night with very good transparency and good seeing, and I set up my Big Mak (180mm) and Deep Space Video Camera and went to work!  Here is the result:

1130115681_ASTRONOMY-SATURN(DSC)6-15-18A.thumb.jpg.faea55b9256d36f81bb762ec2520760e.jpg

ADDENDUM

Here is a slightly color-shifted image as the original was a bit reddish. I'm hoping this one looks more natural:

1766757450_ASTRONOMY-SATURN(DSC)6-15-18A(adj).thumb.jpg.c602d4f7c1c7ed38d70070fdc78e4a7b.jpg

Clear skies!
Reggie:icescream:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, TareqPhoto said:

If you will get a great image of Saturn with your Mak then please let me know, but good nice image anyway, well done!

Thanks, Tareq! This is my best Saturn so far with my 180mm Mak. I hear the ZWO cameras are really good for getting detail. I may get one in the near future!

27 minutes ago, orion25 said:

Thanks, Tareq! This is my best Saturn so far with my 180mm Mak. I hear the ZWO cameras are really good for getting detail. I may get one in the near future!

Yes, get one, it will be way much better, but i have that and still can't have that really nice images of Saturn with ZWO camera, i have a feeling that i reached the limit of Saturn already with the scope, but i won't think too much about it, one day i will afford another scope better i hope.

Hi Reggie well done on your best image of Saturn so far with the Mak180mm. If you do get a zwo camera it will have faster frame rates so it would definitly help you cut through any turbulance in the atmosphere also you could try a good 2x or 3x barlow.

7 hours ago, TareqPhoto said:

Yes, get one, it will be way much better, but i have that and still can't have that really nice images of Saturn with ZWO camera, i have a feeling that i reached the limit of Saturn already with the scope, but i won't think too much about it, one day i will afford another scope better i hope.

What is the elevation of Saturn where you are? That could have much to do with your seeing. It's about 34 degrees at its highest where I am in the southeastern United States.

5 hours ago, Knighty2112 said:

Lovely work Reggie. Well done mate! Still looking to capture Saturn still for the first time with the ZWO, but if I get anything only half as good as yours I will be pleased! :) 

Thanks, Gus! Can't wait to see your images!

Clear skies!

Reggie :)

3 hours ago, carastro said:

That's a very nice image Reggie.  My only comment is the colour, its a bit rusty red, some colour adjustment to a more creamy yellow would be better.

Carole 

Thanks for your guidance, Carole; the camera I use (Orion Deep Space Video Camera II) does lean toward the red.

Clear skies!

1 hour ago, morimarty said:

Hi Reggie well done on your best image of Saturn so far with the Mak180mm. If you do get a zwo camera it will have faster frame rates so it would definitly help you cut through any turbulance in the atmosphere also you could try a good 2x or 3x barlow.

Thanks, Martyn! The barlow I have (Orion Shorty 2x) made the image less detailed. I hear the TV barlows are very good; I may invest in one.

Clear skies!

Good work... it's all down to seeing & transparency and processing your data... practise, practise and more practise and you're images will keep improving.... you'll keep exceeding your personal best.

29 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

Good work... it's all down to seeing & transparency and processing your data... practise, practise and more practise and you're images will keep improving.... you'll keep exceeding your personal best.Quote

Thanks, Mars. You're right; practice, practice, practice is the key. It keeps things exciting and moving forward!

8 hours ago, orion25 said:

What is the elevation of Saturn where you are? That could have much to do with your seeing. It's about 34 degrees at its highest where I am in the southeastern United States.

I really don't know, but maybe you can find it out, i live at 25N and 55E, elevation could be between 3m and 4 meter

Archived