Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_close-ups.thumb.jpg.88a09e422111459fcea8be71befc7874.jpg

admin

Imaging Challenge #15 - Milky Way

There are some changes to the Imaging Challenge this month, we have adjusted the prizes as we don't want people to take these challenge too seriously, they are a bit of fun after all :) We are also trying a new way to keep track of entries using a gallery instead - details below...

--------------------------------------------------

The theme for the fifteenth challenge - June 2018 - is The Milky Way!

Start Date: 1st June 2018
End Date: 31st August 2018

Rules: The theme this time is The Milky Way. We are looking for images, videos or animations that capture the Milky Way and we will be particularly looking out for unusual compositions or interesting presentations :)

Prize: A personalised mug for 1st, 2nd and 3rd places featuring your image kindly provided by our sponsors FLO :) and a virtual trophy for your signature.

--

RULES

All data must be captured and processed by you (no collaborative entries). 
Data must be captured during the challenge start & end dates. 
Multiple entries are allowed but please start a new topic for each entry. 
Multiple submissions of the same image, processed differently, will not be accepted.

--

To enter please add your image to the Imaging Challenge #15 Gallery (each challenge will have it’s own). Please post as much information as possible - when it was taken, how it was captured and processed, etc. The info won't necessarily be used for judging but will help fellow SGLers looking to learn and improve their knowledge and technique.

• Like 4

Does this include widefield images, like 10 degree diagonal, or only super wide images from a wide angle lens?

Anything you like - as long as it fits the Milky Way theme - I don't see a problem if you only capture a portion of it :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

That's a great idea the mugs. 

Does this discount objects like M8 or the Sagittarius star cloud, which are in the middle of the milky way but also stand-alone objects? Does this cover the core only or are regions slightly further-afield also allowed (i.e. cygnus "upwards")?

Personally I would try and avoid something that strays too far into the grey area, but strongly defined limits would be appreciated. Especially since every object in the sky besides other galaxies is technically a "milky-way" shot.

On 09/06/2018 at 19:23, pipnina said:

Does this discount objects like M8 or the Sagittarius star cloud, which are in the middle of the milky way but also stand-alone objects? Does this cover the core only or are regions slightly further-afield also allowed (i.e. cygnus "upwards")?

Personally I would try and avoid something that strays too far into the grey area, but strongly defined limits would be appreciated. Especially since every object in the sky besides other galaxies is technically a "milky-way" shot.

My reading of the challenge is that it's nice and open, flexible and easy going. As Grant implied above, capturing all of it might be tricky!

Olly

3 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

My reading of the challenge is that it's nice and open, flexible and easy going. As Grant implied above, capturing all of it might be tricky!

Olly

Well they do stress that the challenge is intended to be for fun, I was just being a bit pedantic. I'm just hoping that I'll get enough clear nights (or even astro darkness which doesn't return for me until mid-late july) to be able to participate at all!

Given you have a kit lens, use it at 18mm and it probably would not be that onerous a task to capture the entire sweep of the MW across the sky as it is quite low now if you can get up at 1am or so.

Taken from 4th planet from the Sun. Unguided.

Oh come on!! If I didn't post this, someone else would have! :D

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.e38a42bb427531c27da45bcf0e8809f8.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Ama Noody said:

Taken from 4th planet from the Sun. Unguided.

Oh come on!! If I didn't post this, someone else would have! :D

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.e38a42bb427531c27da45bcf0e8809f8.jpg

Glad it wasn’t taken from the seventh planet 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Glad it wasn’t taken from the seventh planet 

Have you ever noticed that the seventh planet is virtually ignored in public spaces? When was the last time it got a mention on TV?! Aww... poor little planet. It's the butt of many a joke! :D

Edited by Ama Noody
  • Haha 1