Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My First Astrophoto Period!!!!

Sunshine

HEY its about time eh!!!! my first astrophoto with a dedicated cam using all the bells and whistles like iCap and Registax.

Programs that are still alien mumbo jumbo to me, but after eating a whole bunch of youtube videos and a bunch more trial and error, I finally pumped out this abomination, or so it must seem to you Pro's lol

I had a very vague idea of how to set up proper parameters in iCap for lunar imaging but I tried several settings and used youtube also, regarding wavelets, I basically dragged sliders all over the place

and watched changes occur. There is much to learn about post work in iCap, but i'll give it the old college try lol, my sole reason for posting is for feedback, this is where you Pro's shine, oh do I need 

feedback. 

Anyway, it is my first astrophoto so no matter how much better it can be, well, it will do for now and I say that with a bit of swag because hey! at least I see craters there lol.

Exposure time.....no clue!

Number of frames....a whole bunch

Attempts.....way too many!

Wavelet values.....all over the place

De noising....didn't work at all I think

Codec...Y800

Resolution...12 something by ??? forgot

The conditions were horrid, a mak is not an imaging scope as I have learned the hard way, F1800 not good, I will definitely be looking at a much shorter FL scope,

Far too tight an image, I would need a 50 shot mosaic for full moon, or a focal reducer which I'm not sure anyone makes for my Mak.

first lunar image.jpg

Nothing wrong with a Mak for lunar or planetary imaging. They're not used as often for DSO imaging because the long focal length is challenging for long exposures. Great first image!

You'll find that the more frames you stack, the less noisy the image becomes. With wavelets in Registax you will find that Layer 1 is the smallest layer and the wavelet effect becomes coarser of you go up the layers. You'll probably want to use Wavelet layers 1-3.

Nice image.

I am very new to all this as well and you could say it is a challenging pastime and at times frustrating. When I first started a few months ago I looked at lots of images on SGL and thought they were nice images. Now I have had a bit of a go myself I think they are wonderful, incredible images and that they did not come easily.

It's a great hobby / obsession made a lot easier with help and advise from others on this forum and hope one day to produce images that I am proud of.

Steve

Archived