NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from Neil at Green Witch

Neil Parker

I'm new to Stargazer's Lounge but have been working in astronomy for most of my adult career. I started at the Royal Greenwich Observatory in 1976 when it was still at Herstmonceux Castle. Starting with microsprocessor control of instruments I worked my way through all aspects of designing, building and operating instruments, telescopes and observatories for professional astronomers. My work included spells on La Palma as well as visits to many major observatories around the world. I moved with the RGO to Cambridge in 1990 which is why I live in the Cambridge area. At the time of the RGO's closure in 1998 I was Head of Technology and Deputy Director.

The RGO closed on 31st October 1998, Green Witch was born at midnight on Halloween and started trading on 1st November. I've been running Green Witch for the last ten years.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Neil - welcome to SGL. I had a fun summer as an RGO/IoA summer student in '96, fond memories

I seem to remember the Summer Students always livened up the RGO. Were you one of the guys who put a huge smiley face on the INT when we were going through one of the many depressing reviews and threats to our future?

Archived