Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Heya from so cal!

Jaain

My name is Jeremy I have an astromaster 130 EQ and astromaster 114 EQ. I have always been interested in space and learned a lot over the years so it will be nice that I know what I will be looking at. I'm just now getting into backyard astronomy after years of toying with the idea. It is something I've always wanted to do with my kids. Finally getting the opportunity to do so and I'm pretty stoked to do it. With the 130eq we looked at Jupiter last night and could just make it out with Moon's nearby. I know I can get a lot more out of this telescope and the parts I have are interchangeable between the Scopes.

The parts that I have currently have are a 10 mm lens and a 20 mm lens as well as a RA motor drive that came loose with it, obviously I didn't buy these new, but they only ran me about $130 us for both and they are both in excellent condition.

I was thinking about buying both a 2x and 5x Barlow lens as well as a lens kit with filters. Maybe a collimator eyepiece with laser? And I was reading about flocking? Is this that big of a difference? I live where there is little light pollution with very clear nights. Also with the Barlow lens should I get a 2X 3x or 5X I figured a 2 and a 5 would be good or should I just go with a 3? I was also looking at 8 - 24 mm adjustable lenses would these just be a waste?

I do however need a main dust cap for my 130 EQ. I've been looking all over online and can't seem to find one does anyone have any suggestions? I have been making due with a plug I made however I would prefer to have the one that came with it.

Anyways so that's what I'm working with those are the questions I have and I'm looking forward to talking with all of you more it seems like a pretty awesome Community here.

Hi Jeremy, welcome.

don't bother with the 5x barlow, it wont give you anything usable on those scopes sorry. the 2x one should be fine, you will find it does not improve the image as well as perhaps you might hope (although it doubles the apparent magnification, (which can be useful on the moon for instance), it reduces the light also, unless you are spending considerable money.  As for the zoom eyepiece, the main issue with them is the reduced 'sweet spot' to get you eye in the right position, unless you pay out for an expensive one.  i think you see the theme here:  it can get very expensive and easy to make a mistake, albeit an enjoyable learning experience most of the time!

I think that probably the best recommendation is to find a local astro club and go along to try out some other kit before buying too much...  even a local shop will help out for sure

cheers

Mike

Hi, Jeremy, and welcome to SGL.

I would echo Mike's comments about barlows. Extra magnification may sound like a good idea, but an image 2x as big is 1/4 as bright. You will always see more with a small bright image than a big faint one. As an analogy, think about reading a newspaper/magazine. As it gets darker, it is harder to read the small print, but the headlines are still visible - as the image in the eyepiece gets fainter, you will only see the 'big' details and will miss the smaller ones that are visible when it is brighter. There are targets for which great magnification is a benefit - double star observations for example - but for general observing, go for the small bright image every time.

Archived