Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Monkey Head Nebula in Hubble Palette

steppenwolf

Well it has taken some time to finally capture the SII to finish this project but at last I have some SII data to add to my existing bi-colour image. Its a little 'bolder' than my usual images but it just assembled this way so I decided to run with it! :D

Image Stats
Mount: Mesu 200
Telescope: Sky-Watcher Esprit 150
Flattener: Sky-Watcher Esprit specific
Camera: QSI 683 WSG-8
Filter: Astrodon 3nm Ha
Subframes: 22 x 1800 sec Ha, 11 x 1800 sec OIII, 22 x 1800 sec SII
Integration: 27.5 hours
Control: CCD Commander
Capture: MaxIm DL
Calibration, Stacking and Deconvolution: PixInsight
Post-Processing: PhotoShop PS3

Monkey_Head_Nebula_Hubble_Palette.thumb.png.4671b1fa921765863772dfddc71a38bb.png

Lovely, i'm a big fan of monekies ;)

I like the green and find it to be a  natural result of bringing together strong narrowband data. IC 410 and NGC 281 also offer plenty of it if allowed.

Although apparently unfashionable at present among amateurs, the Hubble telescope team use the green elements to great effect to demonstrate differences in the gases, their M16 being a classic. I'm not entirely sure it is possible to present a faithful interpretation of some DSO's just relying on blues.

Interestingly, non astronomers who occasionally browse some of my images always pick out a really over colourful Pacman as their favourite.

Great stuff Steve.

5 minutes ago, Tim said:

Lovely, i'm a big fan of monekies ;)

I like the green and find it to be a  natural result of bringing together strong narrowband data. IC 410 and NGC 281 also offer plenty of it if allowed.

Although apparently unfashionable at present among amateurs, the Hubble telescope team use the green elements to great effect to demonstrate differences in the gases, their M16 being a classic. I'm not entirely sure it is possible to present a faithful interpretation of some DSO's just relying on blues.

Interestingly, non astronomers who occasionally browse some of my images always pick out a really over colourful Pacman as their favourite.

Great stuff Steve.

I have to agree with you Tim there seems to be a tendency to remove 'green' out of narrow band images. If its balanced nicely and there's green in it leave it in...im all for that

8 hours ago, gingergeek said:

Nice work, there's some interesting stuff going on in there 

Thanks, Mark

8 hours ago, sloz1664 said:

what if you reprocessed with HLVG would you bring out more of the blue and reduce the green.  Just my humble opinion.

I do use HLVG, Steve but decided that for this rendition with its strong SII component, the 'natural' balance of the Ha (green) and SII (red) allowed the green to take part.

8 hours ago, peter shah said:

Lovely detail there Steve. Like your processingtoo :thumbright:

Thanks, Peter, as you will see from the link, there was some gorgeous detail in the star birth region thanks to the original Ha detail which was partly as a result of my getting to grips with a deconvolution routine that I was happy with.

8 hours ago, Tim said:

Hi Tim and thanks for spotting my spelling error in the title! I think the green earn't its place in this image but I also love that blue heart. I was amazed with how this image fell into place with the strength of the SII making a really good contribution to the overall colour although ironically not contributing too much in the detail

8 hours ago, peter shah said:

there seems to be a tendency to remove 'green' out of narrow band images. If its balanced nicely and there's green in it leave it in...im all for that

Normally, I too tend to remove it as it is 'fashionable' as Tim says to get rid of it but here at least, it seems to work!

7 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

good whispy detail.

That's deconvolution on strong Ha signal :D

On 2/17/2018 at 22:43, sloz1664 said:

Lovely bold colours Steve and so much detail. I really like it. Just a thought, what if you reprocessed with HLVG would you bring out more of the blue and reduce the green.  Just my humble opinion.

Steve

Great image. Hope you don't mind Steve, but I applied scnr to the png file in pixinsight out of curiosity, and this is the result.

5a90756959a40_Monkey_Head_Nebula_Hubble_Palettescnr.thumb.png.c37a01111d148f287c675a2c32ef211f.png

I do normally struggle with green in astrophotos, I admit. It's my broadband background, I guess, where it tends to be the root of all evil! However, in this image I positively like it. I find Mars' SCNR version easier but less rewarding to look at. In the original there is an intense glow in parts of the nebula which brings drama to an object which usually lacks it. I'm also persuaded that apparent three dimensionality in an image comes, in part, from a fully three dimensional colour palette. 

Olly

On 2/23/2018 at 18:32, Barry-Wilson said:

It's a cracker :hello2:!

Thanks, Barry

On 2/23/2018 at 20:12, Jonk said:

Great image. Hope you don't mind Steve, but I applied scnr to the png file in pixinsight out of curiosity, and this is the result.

I like it - less outrageous!

On 2/23/2018 at 21:11, andyo said:

Love this Steve a very nice image I really like the colour including the green.

Thanks, Andy

On 2/24/2018 at 08:21, ollypenrice said:

I'm also persuaded that apparent three dimensionality in an image comes, in part, from a fully three dimensional colour palette. 

I have to agree, Olly - I really like my bi-colour version of this image but the SII (third channel) added disproportionally to the whole. It was quite satisfying how the image almost fell together with all three channels present!

Great sharpness-focus was obviously spot on.  I too tend to remove green from NB images--but not ALL of it.  I think a SCNR application of perhaps 60% instead of 100% would be the perfect balance (or some similar combination of the 2 variable settings)...it would leave just enough green to maintain that 3D appearance Olly mentioned.  

Rodd

I'm seeing green for two reasons, the second being how amazing it looks in this image.

I've never understood why green is treated as an artefact to be processed out.

I mean, I understand that if you don't the image looks pretty bad - but surely photons are photons and there must be some place for green ones in our images - like this one.

However I think I've heard it said there is no green in space....

I remember when I was shooting the Cygnus loop with a QHY8 OSC the result was always green/red where everyone else's examples were blue/red. Some QHY8 owners went with the green/red palette and produced amazing images. I always manipulated the results to get it as close to blue/red as I could - as I was "following the pack" :-)

So thanks Steve for encouraging me to see what I can do with green in my next narrow-band image - I won't have the same success you have, for sure, but it will be interesting to try.

David

On 25/02/2018 at 16:31, Rodd said:

I think a SCNR application of perhaps 60% instead of 100% would be the perfect balance (or some similar combination of the 2 variable settings)...it would leave just enough green to maintain that 3D appearance Olly mentioned.  

Thanks, Rodd, the green certainly contributes to the 3D effect

On 25/02/2018 at 23:35, toxic said:

great image Steve i must admit the green is very nice it just makes it pop

Thanks, Chris, I'm very pleased that I left it in as it has produced some great discussion

22 hours ago, Ryan_86 said:

Unbelievable Steve!!! Well done pal.

Thanks, Ryan, I'm pleased you like the image

12 hours ago, David_L said:

So thanks Steve for encouraging me to see what I can do with green in my next narrow-band image - I won't have the same success you have, for sure, but it will be interesting to try.

Thank you, David, I look forward to seeing your results - anything goes when you are imaging in narrowband!

Archived